Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Lone Rhinoceros

Being that the entire species (all variations) may well be extinct in our children's' lifetimes, I figured we could count them down, 1 by 1. We lost two bloody black rhinos just this month.

Denver Zoo officials are mourning the loss of a 21-year-old black rhinoceros after the animals health caused the zoo to euthanize him.

Zoo officials say since 2014 they have tried 20 different procedures and therapies to alleviate the critically endangered animals foot problems, including customized boots.

Mshindi was born at the zoo in 1993. His name means warrior or champion in Swahili. The rhino was taught to hold a paint brush in his mouth and create paintings that were then sold to raise money for rhino conservation.

SirC

http://www.gjsentinel.com/breaking/articles/21-year-old-black-rhinoceros-dies-at-denver-zoo

• Like 1

Bizarrely, just saw a heap of photos on my fb of folk celebrating World Rhino Day, 22/9/15.

Must be some left then.

Quite possibly the worst thread going.

We need some poachers to come and shoot the fucker dead!!

• Like 2

indeed, its ironic when the person who bitches the most about useless threads is actually the biggest offender the crime
  • Like 4

I'll vote for Dying I a Standing Position (or whatever it is) or Suicide by Chainsaw. But I feel the love from both of you. :-)

SC

• Like 1

indeed, its ironic when the person who bitches the most about useless threads is actually the biggest offender the crime
um sir creep you do realize that was at you and not lfn
  • Like 1

Bet you thought there were 4 Northern White Rhinoceros's left in the world.

Down to 3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nola_(rhinoceros)

]

Pretoria (S.A.) lifts its ban on rhino horn trade. Who in God's name runs that gin joint?

SChttps://uk.news.yahoo.com/south-africa-pretoria-courts-lifting-125619652.html

The Pistorius family, I think.

And in other animal news yesterday....Japan lifts ban on hunting whales in the Antarctic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34952538?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Not a good day for animals on this planet, courtesy of humans.

SC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Raging floods that started on July 25 submerged up to 80 percent of India’s Kaziranga National Park, in the northeastern state of Assam. The flooding subsided on July 31, but hundreds of animals have drowned, including more than a dozen rare Indian rhinoceroses. The flooding subsided on July 31, but hundreds of animals have drowned, including more than a dozen rare Indian rhinoceroses.

SC

• Like 1

The Phoenix Zoo says its southern white rhinoceros named Half Ear has died. She was 45.

Half Ear struggled for several months with decreased appetite, weight loss and reduced mobility before being euthanized Tuesday evening. Officials said the median life expectancy for a southern white rhinoceros is 33 and the record lifespan for a female is 53.

SC

http://m.mohavedailynews.com/news/rhino-dies-at-phoenix-zoo/article_cd441c1a-b21d-11e6-a109-5bc37496612c.html?mode=jqm

• Like 1

One of oldest white rhinos in captivity was put down on Thursday at The Virginia Zoo after months of struggling with complications from old age. White rhino Alfred was 48 years old, the zoo said in a statement Friday. The typical lifespan of a white rhino is around 40 years.

SC

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/science/virginia-zoo-s-beloved-white-rhino-alfred-dies/article_bc972528-0134-5522-943a-159a44324128.html

• Like 1

All well and good Sir C, but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with deadpooling. Are you in a league that allows animals?

The Columbus Zoo announced Friday that 28-year-old black rhino Kulinda has died.

black-rhino-1723-amanda-carberry-columbu

Kulinda (CREDIT: Amanda Carberry, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium)

Kulinda was euthanized Friday after being diagnosed with iron overload syndrome last month. The zoo said the syndrome results in progressive liver failure.

SC

Not sure exactly where as I was seething at never having thought of it... Dateline...a zoo in Europe...poachers break in and shoot poor Vince 3 times in the head and saw off his horn. Vince was a white rhino, and you don't need to go to Africa to be a poacher . Brilliance.

The Jackson (Miss.) Zoo is saying goodbye to one of its animals.  Ronnie the Rhino died in his sleep Thursday.  Zoo officials posted a photo of Ronnie on its Instagram page.

He was 43 years old.
SC

ronnie-rhino.jpg

• Sad 1

Officials from the Toledo Zoo and Aquarium reported that Sam, a 44-year-old white rhinoceros was euthanized due to declining health.

Sam was born at the San Diego Wild Animal Park and arrived in Toledo in 1988. The Association of Zoos & Aquariums says the average life expectancy is 33.9 years.

I used to go to the Toledo Zoo often, it's a great zoo. Last time I was there had to be mid-1990s, when Sam was like 12. RIP Sam.
SC

Sam112.jpg

• Sad 1

A 48-year-old Indian rhinoceros that had survived skin cancer has been euthanized at the Los Angeles Zoo.

A zoo statement says the female rhinoceros named Randa was euthanized Monday due to signs of declining health including loss of appetite, difficulty moving and indications of kidney failure.

The zoo says Randa was the oldest Indian rhinoceros within zoos worldwide and had drawn attention to the plight of her species.

Randa was born on Oct. 5, 1969, in Basel, Switzerland, and arrived at the Los Angeles Zoo on Nov. 22, 1974, from the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas.
SC

• Sad 2

This is one of the saddest threads here. I hate it when I see this thread come up. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2017 at 02:56, theoldlady said:

This is one of the saddest threads here. I hate it when I see this thread come up. 

Hey now, let's turn that frown upside-down!

The Wilds, in Cumberland, Ohio, is showing off its new male White Rhinoceros calf, Gordon.

Staff at The Wilds say Gordon, a male White Rhinoceros calf was born on Dec. 19, 2017, to mother Eve (born at The Wilds in 2006) and father Roscoe.

Gordon is the 4th White Rhinoceros calf to be born in a 10-week span at The Wilds, the 20th Rhinoceros to be born at The Wilds since 2004, and the 10th fourth-generation white rhino to be born at the facility.

SC

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey now, let's turn that frown upside-down!

The Wilds, in Cumberland, Ohio, is showing off its new male White Rhinoceros calf, Gordon.

Staff at The Wilds say Gordon, a male White Rhinoceros calf was born on Dec. 19, 2017, to mother Eve (born at The Wilds in 2006) and father Roscoe.

Gordon is the 4th White Rhinoceros calf to be born in a 10-week span at The Wilds, the 20th Rhinoceros to be born at The Wilds since 2004, and the 10th fourth-generation white rhino to be born at the facility.

SC

Thanks for this update. It really makes me Happy to hear this! Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Bishnu, the one-horned rhino, died a few days short of its 34th birthday.

Assam State Zoo officials said Bishnu, the oldest of half a dozen one-horned rhinos in captivity, died at 8 a.m. on Monday.

Few had expected Bishnu to survive a bout of diarrhoea around this time in 2016.  Such was the severity of the affliction that his rectum had come out.

“He just did not give up despite the obvious pain. Our veterinarians reinserted his rectum after a marathon operation to script a rare success story,” Tejas Mariswamy, the zoo’s divisional forest officer told The Hindu.  Bishnu’s digestive system improved but it began losing teeth. Last year, the rhino developed defecation problems again.

“His teeth had worn out a few months ago. We noticed he was chewing the grass with his gums and spitting it out after ingesting the juice. Then he stopped eating and we feared the worst,” Mr. Mariswamy said.

But Bishnu was in better health since December, with a team of zoo employees moving along with the animal holding a saline drip hanging from a piece of slender bamboo.

This made Bishnu more of an attraction than it was before. It lived almost as long as a rhino in the wild does. Rhinos in captivity usually live up to 40 years, officials said.

SC

IMG-20180205-WA0040.jpg

• Sad 1

I'm aware it's been posted, but needs to be here.

A leading American investigator into the illegal ivory and rhino horn trade has been fatally stabbed at his home, according to police in Kenya.

Esmond Bradley Martin was found with a stab wound to the neck at his Nairobi home on Sunday after a concerned relative went to check up on him after they were unable to get in touch with him.

Conservationist Paula Kahumbu said the 75-year-old was at the forefront of exposing ivory traffickers in the US, Congo, Vietnam, Nigeria, Angola, China and more recently Burma.

SC

• Sad 2

Sudan, the world's last male northern white rhino is dead (thread)...

• Sad 5