gcreptile

21. Vanessa Redgrave

This is the thread for Vanessa Redgrave, Oscar and Golden Globe-winning actress from one of the most prominent acting families ever. She was nominated for the Oscar six times and won in 1977 for Julia. Other memorable roles were in Mary, Queen of Scots and Howard's End.

Her birth was famously announced to the public by Laurence Olivier during a play at Old Vic.

Recent news revealed that she suffered a life-threatening heart attack in April:

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/vanessa-redgrave-before-i-didn-t-care-at-all-now-i-find-myself-thinking-what-a-miracle-everything-is-a2954866.html

Her smoking has reduced the functionality of her lungs to 30% and she is aware that she is in her last years, "maybe even less". She's also seen her daughter and brother die relatively early, and has basically retired from stage while her public appearances are getting rarer. She still feels obliged to write the second volume of her autobiography though.

• Like 1

This is the thread for Vanessa Redgrave, Oscar and Golden Globe-winning actress from one of the most prominent acting families ever. She was nominated for the Oscar six times and won in 1977 for Julia. Other memorable roles were in Mary, Queen of Scots and Howard's End.

Her birth was famously announced to the public by Laurence Olivier during a play at Old Vic.

Recent news revealed that she suffered a life-threatening heart attack in April:

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/vanessa-redgrave-before-i-didn-t-care-at-all-now-i-find-myself-thinking-what-a-miracle-everything-is-a2954866.html

Her smoking has reduced the functionality of her lungs to 30% and she is aware that she is in her last years, "maybe even less". She's also seen her daughter and brother die relatively early, and has basically retired from stage while her public appearances are getting rarer. She still feels obliged to write the second volume of her autobiography though.

Doesnt sound too great for her but she may last a few years still.Maybe one for the bottom of next years list just in case?Certainly a big name and someone who`s health justifies her inclusion.

Kirk Douglas had a stroke at her age and is still going. I doubt she'll go just let.

Kirk Douglas had a stroke at her age and is still going. I doubt she'll go just let.

She had a heart attack and has emphysema.That isnt the same as a stroke.

I mentioned here on my Murder on the Orient Express thread. At the time I didn't know she had health problems.

Doesnt sound too great for her but she may last a few years still.Maybe one for the bottom of next years list just in case?Certainly a big name and someone who`s health justifies her inclusion.

I think she's definitely going to appear on the Death List at some point (unless she dies very suddenly). I don't think she'll die in 2016 but she has a couple of projects lined up until then, so one can watch her form. Then things will get serious from 2017 on.

The main risk for her would be pneumonia which would put her heart under a lot of strain.Her case seems similar to that of Liz Dawn who has lasted many years with the illness.Richard Briers however had a heart attack due to strain brought on by emphysema as I seem to recall.Didn`t her brother also die of heart trouble?

:

Appeared at an Oxford Union talk a couple of weeks ago and looks quite frail.Her voice is much weaker and fainter and she certainly appears to be struggling to catch her breath at the beginning.She also appears to have lost quite a bit of weight.

I think she's on a 2-5 years schedule...

Also,

The main risk for her would be pneumonia which would put her heart under a lot of strain.Her case seems similar to that of Liz Dawn who has lasted many years with the illness.Richard Briers however had a heart attack due to strain brought on by emphysema as I seem to recall.Didn`t her brother also die of heart trouble?

her brother even had her own thread, and you are right:

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1506&hl=%2Bcorin+%2Bredgrave

Part of the reason I made this thread was because after Corin, Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson, I thought no member of that family should go unthreaded.

she was an honor guest in Zagreb somewhere in October last year and there was a live broadcast of her interview in a HNK (theatre), there's a reason why she's on my list....she's shaking badly and seems kinda lost a bit, but seems strong enough to live for at least another 2 years, i think

500697C400000578-6155111-image-m-60_1536

Recent pic. Has looked worse tbh.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2015 at 13:55, gcreptile said:

I think she's on a 2-5 years schedule...

5 years would take her to 2020. So let's see how that goes. It seems she's still quite out and about. But that heavy heart attack, probably because of her chain-smoking, was a warning sign.

• Like 1

Happy 82nd Birthday! :birthday:

Why she is on the list exactly? 

• Like 3

Just now, Book said:

Happy 82nd Birthday! :birthday:

Why she is on the list exactly? 

Chronic emphysema (something like 80% of her lungs aren't working) and severe heart issues in recent years might have played a hand in it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, msc said:

Chronic emphysema (something like 80% of her lungs aren't working) and severe heart issues in recent years might have played a hand in it...

It was for those reasons above that I was considering her for my personal 2019 shortlist, but later decided against it. I was tickled pink though when the committee put her name up as it felt nice that they were thinking along the same lines as me.

• Like 2

She appears in a new British Airways advert for approximately 0.9 of a second. Hardly enough time to study form, but not on her deathbed.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

She appears in a new British Airways advert for approximately 0.9 of a second. Hardly enough time to study form, but not on her deathbed.

At 1:07? I believe it's not her, but the famous primatologist Jane Goodall :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fantomasss said:

At 1:07? I believe it's not her, but the famous primatologist Jane Goodall :)

Agreed. Definitely Jane Goodall. 

Whoops! Saw it on the telly, wasn't paying attention.

Vanessa Redgrave would rather fly that plane into the Freedom Tower than to appear in a commercial.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

She's planning to appear at Kingston Theatre later this week with a new play as a 'work in progress' - three performances, plus an Evening With Vanessa Redgrave on Saturday night.  Tickets still available if any Deathlister wants to pop along and assess how she looks!

https://www.rosetheatrekingston.org/whats-on/vienna-1934--munich-1938-a-work-in-progress

• Like 3