YoungWillz

The EU Referendum Hokey Cokey

I know nothing about politics. So tonight I've looked at the Internet for some good, clear information about the pros and cons, what will ACTUALLY happen either way in terms of finances and changes to laws and human rights and immigration and all that, and how it will actually affect ME. And I can't find anything that explains it in thicko terms so I'm none the wiser.

Old people will still die and need burying.

As you were.

I don't bury them. I lawfully deprive them of their liberty as per Articles 5 and 8 of the Human Rights Act, so it may affect my job. But I'm not too bothered about that. I want to know what each option will actually mean for ME. But I'm too upset about Bert Kwouk to think much about it right now

Option 1. Sit on your backside with the rest of the "I can't work it out" crowd and do nothing. The people who want a say, go to the polls and there is about 70% support for vote leave. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people believe the lie and life carries on as per usual. Except the Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Option 2. Go and vote leave. The turn out will be high and about 75% of the vote will go to Leave. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people don't believe the lie, a few riots are started then and life carries on as per usual after two days of unrest. The Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Option 3. For some strange reason you go to the polling station and think about kittens and soft cuddly toys. The birds are singing and the sun shining. You think what the hell, it's not so bad, I'll vote remain. Too many other people do this too, and the Remain In vote receives 45% support. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people believe the lie and life carries on as per usual. Except the Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Easy

P.S. Then when you go to the polling station take a permanent black marker felt tip pen with you. Remember to vote leave, it's the bottom box. Don't use the stubby pencil, "they" have pencil erasers. On the sly, photograph your marked ballot paper with your smart phone, then fold it and place it in the ballot box.

Oh, and watch this short (3 minute 20 seconds) film now.

nice tinfoil hat.

You really cannot over emphasise the importance of this vote. Ignore all the Conservative Party infighting, the copious amounts of misinformation being distributed by both sides.

What it essentially comes down to is this, do you feel ultimate sovereignty should reside with the nation state or should it be subservient to a European superstate?

Or to put it simply, do you feel more British than you do European?

• Like 1

You really cannot over emphasise the importance of this vote. Ignore all the Conservative Party infighting, the copious amounts of misinformation being distributed by both sides.

What it essentially comes down to is this, do you feel ultimate sovereignty should reside with the nation state or should it be subservient to a European superstate?

Or to put it simply, do you feel more British than you do European?

The two most important reasons to vote Brexit are:

- In the hope or expectation that it will force out Cameron. To be replaced by the much more "likeable" and surely less awful Boris? I dunno. Everyone hates Cameron.

- To ENSURE we do not basically have an open border with Turkey when it inevitably becomes an EU member. They are fast becoming an Iran in our back yard - but this fact is totally unreported by all press except the Mail etc., of course. Utterly fucking horrendous.

Sure there will be some downsides to Brexit but there are so much more to staying in.

Would be amazing if Brexit win AND Trump became President. I still think both might be too much to hope for but some of the lefties are starting to sound like they fear Brexit will happen.

• Like 1

I know nothing about politics. So tonight I've looked at the Internet for some good, clear information about the pros and cons, what will ACTUALLY happen either way in terms of finances and changes to laws and human rights and immigration and all that, and how it will actually affect ME. And I can't find anything that explains it in thicko terms so I'm none the wiser.

As you were.

I don't bury them. I lawfully deprive them of their liberty as per Articles 5 and 8 of the Human Rights Act, so it may affect my job. But I'm not too bothered about that. I want to know what each option will actually mean for ME. But I'm too upset about Bert Kwouk to think much about it right now
Option 1. Sit on your backside with the rest of the "I can't work it out" crowd and do nothing. The people who want a say, go to the polls and there is about 70% support for vote leave. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people believe the lie and life carries on as per usual. Except the Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Option 2. Go and vote leave. The turn out will be high and about 75% of the vote will go to Leave. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people don't believe the lie, a few riots are started then and life carries on as per usual after two days of unrest. The Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Option 3. For some strange reason you go to the polling station and think about kittens and soft cuddly toys. The birds are singing and the sun shining. You think what the hell, it's not so bad, I'll vote remain. Too many other people do this too, and the Remain In vote receives 45% support. The EU secretly won't accept that and tell everyone the result was 53% win for remain. Most people believe the lie and life carries on as per usual. Except the Euro currency slides when Greece defaults and we send them £100 billion to prop-up the Euro to stop Spain, Italy and Portugal going into default as well. Greece is in the dog house for the next 50 years and getting a low priced holiday there is more easy to find. However because we are semi bankrupted too, we can only afford that holiday if you go and do a few dozen car boot sales. By the way you won't have to change currencies because we too will be using the euro by the year 2025 (at the latest).

Easy

P.S. Then when you go to the polling station take a permanent black marker felt tip pen with you. Remember to vote leave, it's the bottom box. Don't use the stubby pencil, "they" have pencil erasers. On the sly, photograph your marked ballot paper with your smart phone, then fold it and place it in the ballot box.

Rotten

That link has now gone to all my friends, I'm sure they will both enjoy it.

I also like your cynical thinking, 53% sounds just right; I believe that when the remain vote wins then the EU will respond to insist that we are IN, fully and unconditionally, Euro and all.

I voted out the first time round, I shall do so again, but they'll still ignore me.

• Like 1

As you were.

Easy

Rotten

That link has now gone to all my friends, I'm sure they will both enjoy it.

I also like your cynical thinking, 53% sounds just right; I believe that when the remain vote wins then the EU will respond to insist that we are IN, fully and unconditionally, Euro and all.

I voted out the first time round, I shall do so again, but they'll still ignore me.

The final slide could equally be used by Remain. Because of the global nature of today's world isolationism makes no sense. What Brexit is against is the unelected core of the EU. Let's fight to get that changed and be more democratic by demanding greater transparency, openness and involvement in decision making. Unfortunately that means getting off our arses and doing more than just turning at a local library with a marker pen every few years.

• Like 2

Interesting retort this morning from Remain In, that the Vote Leave camp have not identified what the plan for the country, going forward after a theoretical win for Out.

I would think it would be bloody obvious by now. We would be the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, a sovereign country again. Still in NATO, still with a seat at the UN, still geograpcally in Europe. Able to make deals with and trade with what ever countries want to do business with us. Not just not a dumb pile of rocks, housing 65 million downtrodden people, being ruled by 28 anti democratic plutocrats from Brussels.

Earlier up the thread I voiced that the result would in every case be a fixed win for Remain In. Yesterday evening I was out on the door step in full on, politics mode doing what is known as a canvas. Trying to gauge support and listen to concerns. Less so in trying to win votes, more understanding what is going on with how people are committing to the problem of an uncertain future.

The support for leaving is overwhelming. No doubt in that. During an hour and a half, having personally canvassed the opinions of 33 people, (got too many "empty" houses) I found only 3 people who would tell me that they would vote to remain in the EU. With all the other uncertainty voiced by people who are yet to make their mind up (another 6 voters) and a little week support on both sides, and one old dear fella saying kindly that it was a private matter, bless him, the likely outcome on this tiny sample would be about 72.5% Vote Leave, 27.5% Remain In.

That's not 50/50. Even with a HUGE margin (100%) of error does it look likely the Remain In vote could win.

So if they do, then a rigging of the poll would be certain to have taken place.

Now I've spoken about riots. That's a real possibility in such situations and the feeling on the ground would ring alarm bells for many and the thick idiots may do silly things in the few days that follow. But it falls on many people to stay calm and protest peacefully, say they won't pay their taxes or start fuel protests, with the desire that political matters will flux without bloodshed. If opinion runs true that the election was rigged and DC won't be called to account for dirty tricks and stand down, then the pressure will be on for mass cabinet resignations from the Brexiter MPs in the Tory ranks. This could play two ways.

1. If DC would be asked to stand down by the 1922 committee. Now if he refused then I'm sure Boris would put up a challenging bid, gain the necessary support and thus force and win a leadership election.

Or 2. A vote of no confidence in the government could be called and should it be lost, DC would have to fight another general election. Now he is on record as saying he does not want to do that, so it would be more likely that George Osborne would chance his arm.

But. Should the Leave camp be allowed to win... Then even more bets are off. Cameron and Osborne, joined at the hip so far, would both have to resign. Maybe even leave the House of Commons. Really, anything less would not be tennis. A leadership election would be called and Boris would undoubtedly be the only candidate thus not needing the party to vote. If a challenger did come forward from the remain camp then they would be surely be trounced simply by the betting odds currently running on Boris to win a fight with anyone.

A new cabinet would efficiency withdraw the country from the EU within 2 years and go to the polls again on the due date in 2020.

However, say DC was to try and stick it out, and carry on in the EU regardless. Mass resignations from the Tory ranks could follow and should they run off and form a new group, such as "Truth, Justice and Democracy Party", UKIP may like the sound of that and the two merge. The few Labour Leave MP's join too and the country limps on with a minority Conservative government until the Tory and ever more irrelevant Labour party are wiped from the map in 4 years time after a remarkable Boris and Nigel landslide win.

Anyway it looks like it's going to end with someone in tears.

In response to RA. ( I am not going to quote the whole post)

I am also not going to get into a debate. I am firmly on the remain side believing Europe is better with Britain in it and we will be bigger in the world as part of Europe. But social media is not going to help because either you end up in a massive circle jerk of people who think the same as you and convince yourself that you are home and dry because no one is disagreeing with you (this messed up the lefts head at the General Election) or you end up in a slanging match with someone who you are never going to convince to change their mind, whilst all the undecideds avoid the forums like the plauge because they are full of rabid haters.

However I am interested in the fallout. Cameron has had a dire campaign right from the word go, to be fair Osbourne has done better, May has kept her head down (shrewdly?) and Jeremy Corbyn has been a bit of a no show.

The Tory in fighting means that business as usual after the referendum is not possible. Andrew Bridgen has already indicated that even if remain win Cameron will face a challenge and if Leave win there is no way Cameron can stay on as PM. The presumption will be that Boris will become PM under such circumstances but where then is the left of the Tory party, people like Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve do they sit on their hands until 2020 or do they vote with their feet which could easily wipe out the slender Tory majority.

• Like 1

IRO of RA's straw poll, even though I will vote for Remain I'm not sure I'd tell anyone face to face I was on the same side as Cameron and Osbourne.

IRO of RA's straw poll, even though I will vote for Remain I'm not sure I'd tell anyone face to face I was on the same side as Cameron and Osbourne.

But happy to be associated with Nigel Farage, Michael Gove and Katie Hopkins?

I think a point is being missed.

Even if the remain campaign succeeds its not going to be by a big majority.

This means Cameron is dead in the water and so is our full ' we are in it no matter what' stance on the EU.

This wont go away, it will heavily influence every major Political decision the Government of the day will make.

You are going to have a major groundswell of people who, come what may, will fight and harangue the next Prime Minister over our membership.

This last 24 hrs have shown how desperate the remain campaigners have become. Extend the time to register? Why? FFS, people have had ample time, if the fuck knuckles leave it to the last second tough shit.

It also looks like a 'professional blogger' was planted to give Farage a kicking.

Nowt like a dirty war, is there.

No, I'd be behind the curtains in one of the 'empty' houses. My point is that there were enough problems with the General Election surveys. It is not realistic to assert that because everyone I asked was with me the result is wrong.

This means Cameron is dead in the water and so is our full ' we are in it no matter what' stance on the EU.

This wont go away, it will heavily influence every major Political decision the Government of the day will make.

You are going to have a major groundswell of people who, come what may, will fight and harangue the next Prime Minister over our membership.

This last 24 hrs have shown how desperate the remain campaigners have become. Extend the time to register? Why? FFS, people have had ample time, if the fuck knuckles leave it to the last second tough shit.

It also looks like a 'professional blogger' was planted to give Farage a kicking.

The Vote Leave site set up a website with the sole intention of tricking young people into thinking they'd registered to vote - if that's not a dirty war tactic I don't know what is.

The Vote Leave site set up a website with the sole intention of tricking young people into thinking they'd registered to vote - if that's not a dirty war tactic I don't know what is.

Got a linky??

No, I'd be behind the curtains in one of the 'empty' houses. My point is that there were enough problems with the General Election surveys. It is not realistic to assert that because everyone I asked was with me the result is wrong.

To true. My straw poll at the 2015 election of people I knew was something like 6 Green, 4 Labour, 2 Tories and a stray raving loony in terms of the people I asked, am I too assuming that because the Green party didn't win the election, it was all a fix. Or would I not be better placed to decided that actually, the number

Got a linky??

The actual page has been taken down but it was massive news yesterday and the day before. Basically they used adwords so that the page which when loaded by smartphone had very little to identify it wasn't the registration site, despite it being the first result in google due to an adwords campaign when searching "register to vote" and "register to vote in EU Referendum" etc etc. Yes, most people should've realised it was not the right site, but how would a first time voter know etc?

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/vote-leave-quietly-delete-its-fake-register-to-vote-page-after-being-exposed/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36462432

• Like 1

To true. My straw poll at the 2015 election of people I knew was something like 6 Green, 4 Labour, 2 Tories and a stray raving loony in terms of the people I asked, am I too assuming that because the Green party didn't win the election, it was all a fix. Or would I not be better placed to decided that actually, the number

Got a linky??

The actual page has been taken down but it was massive news yesterday and the day before. Basically they used adwords so that the page which when loaded by smartphone had very little to identify it wasn't the registration site, despite it being the first result in google due to an adwords campaign when searching "register to vote" and "register to vote in EU Referendum" etc etc. Yes, most people should've realised it was not the right site, but how would a first time voter know etc?

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/vote-leave-quietly-delete-its-fake-register-to-vote-page-after-being-exposed/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36462432

Another new Political low then.........

We Scots know what it was like a few hours after we voted to stay in the UK, then out came DC on the steps of Downing Street to announce that in fact it was all about English Votes for English Laws.

So when Juncker comes out in Brussels the day after the Remain side win and announces ever closer political union, and the European Court strikes down DC's opt outs on the Euro and political union, it will all have been for English Votes for European Laws.

Might happen. Just warning you.

I'm still undecided.

We Scots know what it was like a few hours after we voted to stay in the UK, then out came DC on the steps of Downing Street to announce that in fact it was all about English Votes for English Laws.

So when Juncker comes out in Brussels the day after the Remain side win and announces ever closer political union, and the European Court strikes down DC's opt outs on the Euro and political union, it will all have been for English Votes for European Laws.

Might happen. Just warning you.

I'm still undecided.

No might about it.

Juncker has already made it clear, in or out, we will be punished for daring to hold a referendum.

Im struggling to comprehend all this, its like being asked to marry a corpse, the EU is a dead duck, whatever happens in our vote, the EU is finished.

Interesting that while Remain is busy banging on about peace and stability that the EU has brought, they bring out Blair who totally disregarded any EU position and took this country into Iraq.

Additionally, maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought any previous PM who claimed that at least one-third of the jobs he created were going to foreign nationals might have lost a vote of confidence and perhaps have been strung up from a lamppost in the past - apparently that's ok now.

And Andrew Neil absolutely destroyed George Osborne in his interview with him the other night.

Meantime, the more positive news for the Remain side is...well, has there been any? Maybe the rush to register to vote. I'm actually finding it hard to give some balance here.

The positive news for Remain is that status quo tends to win referendums, unless the opposition is 10 plus points ahead in the final weeks, and this entire thing has been identical to the Scottish Indy Ref so far.

• Like 3

The positive news for Remain is that status quo tends to win referendums, unless the opposition is 10 plus points ahead in the final weeks, and this entire thing has been identical to the Scottish Indy Ref so far.

You forgot to add there's tons of thick, very easily swayed people in this country who love to get frightened about the wrong thing.

You forgot to add there's tons of thick, very easily swayed people in this country who love to get frightened about the wrong thing.

Hmm, I think the major difference with the Scottish Indy Ref is that yes, there is the usual status quo argument but the other inbuilt issue is that older people are more likely to vote. Now while that works magnificently in normal referendums, the general direction of travel for older folk is to vote Leave. That is because for them the status quo is interference by the EU in an idealistic interpretation of Great Britain.

The status quo for older folk seems to be that Britain that lasted for centuries before someone somewhere decided to subsume them to European (=German) rule.

Still think it's too close to call.

like Halibuts?

like Halibuts?

See, here's one of the kind of people I'm talking about.

Yes. Yes there is.