YoungWillz

The EU Referendum Hokey Cokey

5 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Preparing by storing some extra supplies now is the exact opposite of panic buying, and should in fact spare people from being caught up in or overly impacted by panic buying come the time.

Failure to plan, on the other hand, is effectively planning to fail.

So what do you plan to stockpile and amounts? 

I get stockpiling - I do it with washing powder (I buy in 100 washes when Lidl have them in at 2 for £14 and keep in the loft) but there’s a limit to how much tinned/ packet foods I’d keep in. 

On 11/11/2018 at 07:26, paddyfool said:

We'll see. But whatever you hope for, it's generally sensible to prepare for delays if a whole new customs regime is about to be put in place at all of our ports.

How much stuff do we get from EU that we can't get from UK/US/other countries not in EU?

I have no idea but I won't miss European wine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

So what do you plan to stockpile and amounts? 

I get stockpiling - I do it with washing powder (I buy in 100 washes when Lidl have them in at 2 for £14 and keep in the loft) but there’s a limit to how much tinned/ packet foods I’d keep in. 

That's been my dilemma. I'm planning to stock up on a few dozen assorted tins in the loft plus some useful bottles EDIT and jars (but avoiding any foods in a softer container for loft storage, as the neighbour's reported problems with rats).  Also to fill up the freezer in Feb or so, fill up the cupboard with a few staples etc. But I'm not planning to go the full prepping route visavis worrying about electricity / gas / water / security too much, as my concerns on those fronts are relatively mild. (We do import electricity and gas from Europe, but not in a format that'll be affected by customs delays etc). 

Plus I'm planning to stock up on plenty of spare stuff in the way of standard household cleaning supplies, toiletries and laundry supplies, and basic medical supplies.

Stocking up, in all cases, only on things that will last and which I'd anticipate using in the next year anyway. And hopefully benefitting from a few savings by buying in bulk.

Plus I think it makes sense not to plan any non-essential travel out of the country, especially to EU / EEA countries, for April/May next year.

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

How much stuff do we get from EU that we can't get from UK/US/other countries not in EU?

I have no idea but I won't miss European wine.

It's not just products from EU / EEA countries that are of concern here as our WTO status is also up in the air at present. Also, quite a few products from non-EU countries arrive via an EU country first before then shipping onto us.  I'm anticipating shipping delays etc potentially on all imports, and since our supermarkets and state have very little in the way of warehousing, that could be problematic. 

3 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

It's not just products from EU / EEA countries that are of concern here as our WTO status is also up in the air at present. Also, quite a few products from non-EU countries arrive via an EU country first before then shipping onto us.  I'm anticipating shipping delays etc potentially on all imports, and since our supermarkets and state have very little in the way of warehousing, that could be problematic. 

Remind me what % of country are obese? Could save some people's lives not having so much shit readily available in supermarkets.

We buy local veg, fruit and UK meat and make proper meals out of them - so I'm alright Jack! :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Remind me what % of country are obese? Could save some people's lives not having so much shit readily available in supermarkets.

We buy local veg, fruit and UK meat and make proper meals out of them - so I'm alright Jack! :D

Aye, I'm sure we'll mostly survive it, though I expect it'll be particularly rough on those already just-about managing with the help of food banks etc.

And good for you on the local food supplies, although there is a risk that availability will be impacted by other consumers who can't buy their usual, especially if panic buying gets going 

26 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

the neighbour's reported problems with rats.

Food shortage solved :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

% grossly exaggerated due to over-reliance on BMI which is fucking shite!

I do agree that the price ratio for veg/cooking stuff to "cheap and easy shite" in supermarkets are skewed, however.

1 hour ago, charon said:

Food shortage solved :)

Image result for cooked rat

31 minutes ago, msc said:

% grossly exaggerated due to over-reliance on BMI which is fucking shite!

I do agree that the price ratio for veg/cooking stuff to "cheap and easy shite" in supermarkets are skewed, however.

Well the % is exaggerated but there are still a whole lot of overweight people who wouldn't be worse off from a spell of enforced rationing.

Incidentally I went to Wiki for 'Obesity in the UK' and had to chuckle at the illustrating photograph with the caption. 

320px-Four_People_4888212879.jpgVisitors sitting outside the British Museum in London including an obese man

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

including an obese man

Don't tell me, don't tell me.......

Ok, it's the one on the left isn't it?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Well the % is exaggerated but there are still a whole lot of overweight people who wouldn't be worse off from a spell of enforced rationing.

Incidentally I went to Wiki for 'Obesity in the UK' and had to chuckle at the illustrating photograph with the caption. 

320px-Four_People_4888212879.jpgVisitors sitting outside the British Museum in London including an obese man

Although given during 40s rationing, veg/milk/eggs/fruit were rationed but chippies weren't, I remain skeptical this would induce the nation to lose weight in 2018. :lol:

• Haha 1

To my Nans credit , because if the war she developed a hate of Spam and Corned Beef.  She’d eaten her fill in the RAF.

Apprently the whale meat wasn’t that bad. 

1 minute ago, philheybrookbay said:

To my Nans credit , because if the war she developed a hate of Spam and Corned Beef.  She’d eaten her fill in the RAF.

I had corned beef hash last night for tea - deliciously tasty.

2 minutes ago, philheybrookbay said:

Aye, mind you, Vera Lynn got pissed off with it..."Whale meat again....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Grim Up North said:

I had corned beef hash last night for tea - deliciously tasty.

I agree but day after day week after week put her off. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Aye, mind you, Vera Lynn got pissed off with it..."Whale meat again....."

:lol:

This thread seems remarkably quiet all things considered - perhaps everyone is reading the 585 pages or enjoying the witch hunt?

Based on the most exciting, gripping and well written novel I have ever read 585 pages would still take a few days to get through.

I can't imagine the draft Brexit agreement is any of those things so none of these MPs are  reading it all before tomorrow - they're just trying to pluck out a couple of sound bites to back the view they've had for months, whatever that might be - it's scandalous really.:rant:

Think its quiet as no cunto understands shit :)

Time will out....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charon said:

Think its quiet as no cunto understands shit :)

Time will out....

You don't give a fuck anyway.

You have an axe and a map.

You will commence chopping Scotland away from England as soon as..... :D

• Haha 3

:lol:

Well, I have to admit to being moist if the Border of Ireland is the Beach.

You shid consider buying an axe LFN.

Very liberating.

* Outlaw King for reference re Scotland/Shire.

I don't really see how this deal can please anyone, be they pro-Brexit or pro-Remain. It transforms us into rule-takers rather than rule-makers; neither at the top table of Europe nor in splendid isolation. 

23 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

I don't really see how this deal can please anyone, be they pro-Brexit or pro-Remain. It transforms us into rule-takers rather than rule-makers; neither at the top table of Europe nor in splendid isolation. 

No shit Sherlock.

This is a weak and wobbly government far from the strength and stability that Theresa May promised at last year's election. It is very clear that this deal will not benefit working people in any way whatsoever; the Labour Party and I will be voting against it without a doubt as it does not meet our six tests.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

In a good well fought negotiation everyone should be unhappy when the deal is done.

Apart from that I've read all the bullet points and actually I could go with it.

1) Immigration - we now have control if we want it.

2) Ongoing Free Trade with Europe

3) £37billion cost - but then it's free after that - so about a 5 year pay off on the net annual cost.  

4) EU Rules - well they are just all fiddling at the edges of our lives - so what?

As far as the Irish problem I have to confess I have serious brain drift when I try to understand what the solution is but as the Republic are happy with it I suspect the DUP won't be.

I'm struggling to see which bit of the Agreement everyone is so outraged about? 

24 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

In a good well fought negotiation everyone should be unhappy when the deal is done.

Apart from that I've read all the bullet points and actually I could go with it.

1) Immigration - we now have control if we want it.

2) Ongoing Free Trade with Europe

3) £37billion cost - but then it's free after that - so about a 5 year pay off on the net annual cost.  

4) EU Rules - well they are just all fiddling at the edges of our lives - so what?

As far as the Irish problem I have to confess I have serious brain drift when I try to understand what the solution is but as the Republic are happy with it I suspect the DUP won't be.

I'm struggling to see which bit of the Agreement everyone is so outraged about? 

Labour hate it because it's Tory policy.

Lib Dems hate it because they are the pro-EU-iest of all parties.

The SNP hate it because they think it fucks over Scotland.

Plaid hate it because it's not written in Welsh.

The Tory Remainers hate it because they want to Remain.

The Tory Brexiteers hate it because it's not Brexity enough for them.

The Scottish Tories hate it because it doesn't protect the fishing industry (as called by msc on this forum in 2016!).

Jacob Rees-Mogg hates it because he stands to earn more money if there's a no deal Brexit.

The DUP hate it because it doesn't declare atomic war on the Republic of Ireland.

Frank Field likes it, so it's not all bad news for May...

• Like 1