YoungWillz

The EU Referendum Hokey Cokey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55393076

This absolutely cracks me up. 

"Supermarkets try to calm food shortage fears amid border chaos"

and

"Sainsbury's saying it could face "gaps" in some of its fresh food supplies within days"

So why say anything at all? This won't cause selfish fuckwits to panic buy and stockpile at all then? Causing the very shortages they say won't happen? It's not like we have any recent examples of this type of behaviour is it....?

Good Grief.

Ok not strictly brexit as such, but not really covid either so flipped a coin on where to put it.

• Facepalm 1

*Looks at Waitrose HQ warehouse near me*

Well I know where i'm going if food runs out.

So it seems we are done.

And that Blibberwimble is glorying it up on the News Channel right now. But actually not giving the British people any sodding fucking details of the deal...just we've done it and we are great.

What a waste of a leader he really is.

image.png.56b73170c18408a79f535100fc5680fc.png

" The deal that both sides desperately wanted to achieve."

So ..... why didn't they just agree it straight off?  :facepalm:

(No need to answer, btw)

1 minute ago, Toast said:

image.png.56b73170c18408a79f535100fc5680fc.png

" The deal that both sides desperately wanted to achieve."

So ..... why didn't they just agree it straight off?  :facepalm:

(No need to answer, btw)

It’s simply not true; this is just Laura Kuenssberg giving hand jobs to Johnson & Co as per.

Given, with a few facile changes, it's Theresa May's deal from TWO ELECTIONS AGO, I can only assume its because our government are a bunch of useless wankers.

(I know you said no need to answer but they really are useless...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Given, with a few facile changes, it's Theresa May's deal from TWO ELECTIONS AGO, I can only assume its because our government are a bunch of useless wankers.

(I know you said no need to answer but they really are useless...)

In other news, Pope revealed to be Catholic.

• Like 2

Happy Brexit! :mellow:

putting an end to this thread.

• Like 1

I think we have now come to the end of this thread, at least until the campaign to rejoin gains momentum in a few years time ;)

This is probably a fitting way to end it - an absolutely blinding, spot-bollock-on comment from the NYT:

448FB0B9-A338-4130-9455-AED41054FE6F.png.6660c925fcb578ffc2091f3748f68292.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I think we have now come to the end of this thread, at least until the campaign to rejoin gains momentum in a few years time ;)

This is probably a fitting way to end it - an absolutely blinding, spot-bollock-on comment from the NYT:

448FB0B9-A338-4130-9455-AED41054FE6F.png.6660c925fcb578ffc2091f3748f68292.png

Unlike the USA, of course.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Unlike the USA, of course.

Well yeah it’s true, they’d know all about that, what with our (current) leaders being cut from the same shitty rag.

President Biden has hinted that there’ll be no special UK/US trade deal unless the UK rejoins the EU. Ooh.

Some might say it’s none of his business whether we’re in the EU or not, others might say of course he’s going to give preferential treatment to the biggest trade, peace & intelligence bloc in the world rather than a small, rapidly deteriorating rock in the North Atlantic, anyone with half a brain would.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

President Biden has hinted that there’ll be no special UK/US trade deal unless the UK rejoins the EU. Ooh.

Some might say it’s none of his business whether we’re in the EU or not, others might say of course he’s going to give preferential treatment to the biggest trade, peace & intelligence bloc in the world rather than a small, rapidly deteriorating rock in the North Atlantic, anyone with half a brain would.

It was a backward step for the UK to leave the UK however to try and give some balance to your continual one sided view of life and politics one of the reasons that the UK voted to leave the EU (and a minority of politicians wanted to leave the EU) was not simply a xenophobic one but the glacial pace of their decision making.

Illustrated by the current hoo-ha about the Astra Zeneca vaccine - UK signed up for vaccine supply 3 months before the EU - 3 months!! The EU is simply not a dynamic organisation to be a part of despite it's strength of size that is also it's biggest weakness and it has shown no sign of finding a way to be more responsive and move quicker.

Being in or out of the EU is far from the black and white perspective that so many people have adopted - it is very grey with plus and minus points. 

On balance considering all the aspects my own view is we would have been better staying in, the next best for us will be that over the next 10 years as a result of our withdrawal the EU will break up and we will be ahead of the rest of the individual countries in arranging trade deals and links of our own with other countries.

10 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

It was a backward step for the UK to leave the UK however to try and give some balance to your continual one sided view of life and politics one of the reasons that the UK voted to leave the EU (and a minority of politicians wanted to leave the EU) was not simply a xenophobic one but the glacial pace of their decision making.

Now that’s interesting you should bring up xenophobia, because I don’t believe I did.

It may come across as one-sided, but while the negatives so grossly outweigh the positives as they do here IMO, I’ll continue to vent my frustration at this shit situation, as everyone else is at liberty to do, regardless of which side of the fence their politics lie, in a non-offensive way.

Agree though that the EU were far too slow giving the go-ahead to the AZ vaccine. The EU is flawed. My point was, it’s going to get vastly preferential treatment globally, and rightly so.

13 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Now that’s interesting you should bring up xenophobia, because I don’t believe I did.

Why is that interesting and why do you have to mention it for me to mention it in a reply? 

I was simply stating that there are many pros and cons of being in the EU - my opinion aligns with yours that the pros outweigh the cons but lets try and remember there were cons which the EU could have mitigated which would have possibly made all the difference. They didn't want us in enough to change/were incapable of changing/were prepared to risk us leaving/never considered the British public would vote the way they did.

I was also opposed to leaving. But we're out now and crying over it isn't going to help.

It's a pity The Guardian is the only non paywalled 'broadsheet' (well, The Independent, but their site absolutely sucks) because all they do now is publish articles relating to previously spilt milk, what's the fucking point of that? It's done, move on.

As GUN says, there must be some upsides, can we not hear about those? I mean Kent being buried in 2 feet of lorry driver shit must be at least a little amusing to those the other side of The Thames Estuary, you know, that Essex place :) there have to be other positives.

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

As GUN says, there must be some upsides, can we not hear about those?

I’m fucking ready to hear them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

...lets try and remember there were cons which the EU could have mitigated which would have possibly made all the difference. They didn't want us in enough to change/were incapable of changing/were prepared to risk us leaving/never considered the British public would vote the way they did.

Which cons were they unwilling to touch during the negotiations with Cameron pre-referendum? Genuine question.

As for not bowing to our demands, sure, we were an influential and powerful part of the bloc, but there’s 27 countries to our 1. I’m not surprised at all.

41 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Illustrated by the current hoo-ha about the Astra Zeneca vaccine - UK signed up for vaccine supply 3 months before the EU - 3 months!! The EU is simply not a dynamic organisation to be a part of despite it's strength of size that is also it's biggest weakness and it has shown no sign of finding a way to be more responsive and move quicker.

Being in or out of the EU is far from the black and white perspective that so many people have adopted - it is very grey with plus and minus points. 

On balance considering all the aspects my own view is we would have been better staying in, the next best for us will be that over the next 10 years as a result of our withdrawal the EU will break up and we will be ahead of the rest of the individual countries in arranging trade deals and links of our own with other countries.

The problem is, though, that if you try and make the decision making process quicker, people will complain that sovereignty is been taken away from the individual nations, and the process is not democratic. It is a no-win situation. If you have an organisation where twenty-seven members all have a theoretically equal say, then it is going to work slowly - it's the nature of the beast. But I don't think that there is much of an appetite among the majority of EU nations for the alternative (and definitely there was no appetite in the UK) - which is that more power is handed over to the EU institutions with reduced input from the member states.

I also think that there is little or no chance of the EU breaking up in the next 10 (or even 100 years). Most Europeans can see that the economic  benefits far outweigh the many negatives,. Perhaps though I am viewing that from a biased Irish perspective. Given the utter fuckwits that led Ireland through the last financial crisis, most Irish are happy enough if decisions are made elsewhere. 

• Like 2

So, is all the recent unrest in Northern Ireland the kind of conflict that had been predicted as a consequence of Brexit?

If so, well, that was a good prediction.

I am watching it quite closely, because I hope to get a certain DDP qualifying obit out of it. But apparently, it's not happening.

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

So, is all the recent unrest in Northern Ireland the kind of conflict that had been predicted as a consequence of Brexit?

If so, well, that was a good prediction.

I am watching it quite closely, because I hope to get a certain DDP qualifying obit out of it. But apparently, it's not happening.

In short, yes.

And Brexshiteers are saying it’s not Brexit’s fault, it’s the legislation’s fault...which from day 1 was always going to be there, as a direct result of Brexit.

We are a joke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

_123237662_express-nc.png

I can barely contain myself. We’ve already got happy fish and crowns on pint glasses. Are you telling me there’s even more joy to be had??

24 minutes ago, TQR said:

I can barely contain myself. We’ve already got happy fish and crowns on pint glasses. Are you telling me there’s even more joy to be had??

As mentioned on the twittersphere, the 'Leave' campaign effectively began in 1994, with the foundation of the Referendum Party. So over 27 years ago, and still no-one can identify what benefits there'll be to the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

• Like 1