YoungWillz

The EU Referendum Hokey Cokey

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Labour hate it because it's Tory policy.

Lib Dems hate it because they are the pro-EU-iest of all parties.

The SNP hate it because they think it fucks over Scotland.

Plaid hate it because it's not written in Welsh.

The Tory Remainers hate it because they want to Remain.

The Tory Brexiteers hate it because it's not Brexity enough for them.

The Scottish Tories hate it because it doesn't protect the fishing industry (as called by msc on this forum in 2016!).

Jacob Rees-Mogg hates it because he stands to earn more money if there's a no deal Brexit.

The DUP hate it because it doesn't declare atomic war on the Republic of Ireland.

Frank Field likes it, so it's not all bad news for May...

Yeah your post sums it up - everybody is outraged but nobody actually has the interests of the country in mind (apart from maybe Frank Field) - just their own  agenda.

So....who's resigning then?

I had to laugh at Fluffy Mundell. Threatens to resign every couple of months, then...doesn't. Well, he's got a sinecure...it's a Cabinet post without any real significance. Also, comes out of the meeting today, saying no deal would be a catastrophe. That kind of jars against Tezza's ongoing commentary that no deal is better than a bad deal.

Anyway, it's not 30 odd billion and that's fine. We'll be paying in for the next two years at least in addition, and then we'll be paying for a customs union (remember that thing we were definitely leaving on 31 March 2019 which we are not now?) which we can't get out of until the EU agrees.

View of the leadership contest? A distraction from a vote of no confidence. Trying to avoid that in favour of letting the Tories sort it out themselves. And they have no intention of getting rid of her, let's be clear. Parly should push ahead asap and send her to Maidenhead...permanently.

Dominic Raab quits. The Brexit Secretary doesn't agree with the Brexit deal.

Omnishambles isn't even the word.

4 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Omnishables isn't even the word.

Or a word? It's omnishambles.

Can't keep their Brexit Secretaries.

Esther McVey gone. Which is good on many levels. :D

• Like 1

Waiting for the VoNC to be announced now,

• Like 1

48 letters needed to trigger vote. So far publicly we have:

So do the 40 from earlier this year count towards that?

Unless they've withdrawn them, "yes".

• Like 1

There ain't no coming back from Mogg calling her out in the houses of parliament.

Names floated to replace her:dominic raab, esther mcvey, boris johnson, david davis and penny mordaunt (i've never heard of her either).

10 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

There ain't no coming back from Mogg calling her out in the houses of parliament.

Names floated to replace her:dominic raab, esther mcvey, boris johnson, david davis and penny mordaunt (i've never heard of her either).

Si4kaNiS_400x400.jpg

Penny Mordaunt.

She's quite popular with Tory members, for one reason or another...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

MP for Portsmouth North, Spectator Parliamentarian of the Year winner , 2014.

When receiving The Spectator magazine's Parliamentarian of the Year award in November 2014, Mordaunt revealed that she had delivered a speech in the House of Commons just before the Easter recess in 2013 on poultry welfare so as to use the word "cock", as a forfeit for a misdemeanour during Naval Reserve training.[37][38]Mordaunt used the word "cock" six times and "lay" or "laid" five times. Following her admission, she was accused by Labour MP Kate Hoey of trivialising parliament.

She also appeared in Splash! (That's the TV programme where people dive into a pool, not the Tom Hanks/Daryl Hannah movie)

• Haha 1

So far she has received public letters of no confidence from:

1. Jacob Rees-Mogg
  2. Simon Clarke
  3. Steve Baker
  4. Henry Smith
  5. James Duddridge
  6. Andrea Jenkins
  7. Andrew Bridgen
  8. Philip Davies
  9. Sheryll Murray 
  10. Martin Vickers
  11. Nadine Dorries
  12. Anne Marie Morris
  13. Peter Bone
  14. Laurence Robertson
  15. Marc Francois (letter to go in)

To be honest I'd be worried if I had the confidence of any of those people. Still along way from the 48 needed. However Tory sources believe the 48 threshold has been reached, leaving quite a few less public letters.

I'm not a big Theresa May fan but I would sympathise with her position generally except that she wasn't forced to become PM - she put her name forward to do the job which she must have known would be close to impossible.

However despite all that I did feel genuinely sorry for her this morning as she publicly had to field a 3 hour dogging in the HofP - not nice for her at all and in some cases - JR-M being a prime example - it was unnecessarily nasty.

Nothing so damning in politics as 'has my complete confidence' which comes about a week before the boot. I can't see that a letter of no-confidence is any different in practice, just so much wind in this case.

It's not unlike flammable and inflammable really.

I don't know all of those names, but Rees-Bogg is a grade A entitled berk and Dorries is a lunatic.... 

In the original referendum the UK voted 52:48 to leave the EU (whatever that meant).

According to a survey just prior to the referendum most members of the House of Commons are believed to have voted Remain in the EU referendum.

Roughly 27:73

What we are now heading towards can therefore be no surprise - by giving the MPs a vote on ratifying a deal to leave the EU, something that 73% of them don't want to do, basically we were always going to end up in a No Deal leading to No Brexit scenario.

If they are up to voting on Brexit now why were they not capable of making the decision in the first place? David Cameron is a fuckwit of the highest order.

Detail party by party of survey results below (not surprisingly the Conservatives are the most conflicted).

According to a survey of all 650 MPs carried out by the Press Association ahead of the referendum on June 23:

:: 480 MPs said they would be voting Remain, including 184 Conservative

:: 159 MPs said they would be voting Leave, including 139 Conservatives

:: 11 MPs were undeclared, including four Conservatives

This gives Remain a notional Commons majority of at least 310.

Some 218 Labour MPs said they would vote Remain while just 11 backed Leave.

All eight Liberal Democrat MPs intended to vote Remain, along with all 56 SNP MPs, all three Plaid Cymru MPs, all four Sinn Fein MPs and all three SDLP MPs.

Green MP Caroline Lucas also said she would vote Remain, as did independent MP Sylvia Hermon and the two Ulster Unionist MPs.

The eight DUP MPs said they would be voting to Leave, along with Ukip MP Douglas Carswell.

@Grim Up North of course however we'll get a peoples vote on the matter so it's the country's decision leaving us more fucked. 

That press conference was a disgrace. Repeating everything that has already been said and wasting everyones time.On top of that did she answer any of those questions asked directly?

Either she's buying time and thinks she can win a vote of no confidence or she has made a deal with those MPs that want her gone. Let me have the vote in the house for the brexit deal if i lose i'll resign. She'll lose so she's just delaying the inevitable and wasting time. No deal brexit I think is more likely. 

I honestly think Andrea leadsom would of done a better job than may she was pro brexit and campaigned for it, but she was forced to stand aside for may.

51 Billion now.

Minimum.

Looking more and more like an EU ++++ deal.

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

... would of done ...

What do you mean by this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That press conference was a disgrace. Repeating everything that has already been said and wasting everyones time.On top of that did she answer any of those questions asked directly?

Either she's buying time and thinks she can win a vote of no confidence or she has made a deal with those MPs that want her gone. Let me have the vote in the house for the brexit deal if i lose i'll resign. She'll lose so she's just delaying the inevitable and wasting time. No deal brexit I think is more likely. 

I honestly think Andrea leadsom would of done a better job than may she was pro brexit and campaigned for it, but she was forced to stand aside for may.

I'm sticking up for her here - she had to do the press conference - the media and occasion demanded it but if she'd turned up and said something completely new after being grilled in the H of C for 3 hours it would HAVE been a bit odd wouldn't it?

The deal is okay - the mandate from the public was 52:48 and only carried by xenophobes and racists.

So basically we have a weak withdrawal from the EU to a position of EU-  (which really matches the 52:48 close vote) and we have some control over immigration going forward and we have achieved ongoing free trade with Europe at the cost of £37 billion** which sounds a lot but we currently run at a deficit of about £8 billion a year so if we go back to being in EU then in 5 years we will be worse off, have free trade and have no control over our immigration.

** I'm not sure if YW 51 billion is a new number in public domain or he just got his sperm test results back. :D

• Like 1

Billions is a figure beyond comprehension.

UK shid have just said "Fuck off" , paid them not a farthing, gave Norn away and quietly broke up.

Every cunto bar the uber rich would have been better off.

* apart from students who see their gap decade going to shit, but fuck them, workshy scum.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

** I'm not sure if YW 51 billion is a new number in public domain or he just got his sperm test results back. :D

2 minutes ago, charon said:

Billions is a figure beyond comprehension.

Probably a tablespoon?

• Haha 2

You only get a bucket in Life.

Don't waste it :lol:

• Haha 1

I honestly think Andrea leadsom would *of done a better job than may she was pro brexit and campaigned for it, but she was forced to stand aside for may.

*Have 

Figure of 51B was mentioned on the BBC.

*and yes even at my age I'm a spunk factory* :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1