gcreptile

Howard Marks

Howard Marks, notorious drug smuggler in the 70s and 80s, has inoperable cancer:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/24/howard-marks-inoperable-cancer-mr-nice

Sounds like a great addition to the deathlist.

This has already spread to other places including his liver, so we're unlikely to be in Wilko Johnson territory here. The fund raising is to benefit others, he knows he's on his way. Though, we might be denied the chance to select him for 2016.

Howard Marks, notorious drug smuggler in the 70s and 80s, has inoperable cancer:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/24/howard-marks-inoperable-cancer-mr-nice

The poor bastard... he was once played in a film by Rhys Ifans!

This has already spread to other places including his liver, so we're unlikely to be in Wilko Johnson territory here. The fund raising is to benefit others, he knows he's on his way. Though, we might be denied the chance to select him for 2016.

He probably has weeks not months. Deterioration is usually rapid.

Almost the worst possible way to go.

That is some excellent highly actionable research, and I thank you.

Sir Creep

He probably has weeks not months. Deterioration is usually rapid.

Almost the worst possible way to go.

Is drug addiction worse?

Marks is smoking his way into pain relief so doubtless that'll feature in any final writing he chooses to put out there.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-34516293

Can't find a Howard Marks thread so here is a not that informative update on his health.

Treatment shrinking the tumours but they aren't going to go away - as an insight as to when he might die its not much use.

Obvious sub-head for a Howard Marks thread: "No more Mr Nice"

Ah thanks, yesterday it occurred to me that I should have started the thread back in January already. We'd be at least on page two now, I guess. Also, he's perfect Deathlist material.

Can`t believe he isn`t on the list.I know he is responding to treatment but stage 4 bowel cancer that has spread to the liver and lungs hat was diagnosed 18 months ago as well as having a high media profile!!! I thought that would guarantee him a place.Would have been a perfect edition to the top 10 of the Death list.I really can`t seem him making 2017.He has also not been posting much on twitter and facebook recently only that one of his shows was cancelled due to "Unforseen circumstances".

• Like 2

In October he said that some new drug gives him a 50% chance of living for another year, so apparently, the chance to see 2017 is lower than 50%. So it's a big miss, I can't understand the omission.

He might not be considered Deathlist material. I know Chris Woodhead was, but without knowing the committee personally, who can say.

He might not be considered Deathlist material. I know Chris Woodhead was, but without knowing the committee personally, who can say.

Surely anyone that is terminally ill and obit-worthy is Deathlist material?

• Like 1

Surely anyone that is terminally ill and obit-worthy is Deathlist material?

Christopher Hitchens and Ronnie Dio disagree with this.

Can`t believe he isn`t on the list.I know he is responding to treatment but stage 4 bowel cancer that has spread to the liver and lungs hat was diagnosed 18 months ago as well as having a high media profile!!! I thought that would guarantee him a place.Would have been a perfect edition to the top 10 of the Death list.I really can`t seem him making 2017.He has also not been posting much on twitter and facebook recently only that one of his shows was cancelled due to "Unforseen circumstances".

The DL Committee were obviously stoned out of their brains when making the list hence they got him confused with Tommy Chong.

• Like 2

I wouldn`t be surprised.After all although Tommy Chong looks in pretty bad shape and I have a gut feeling (no pun intended) that he is more seriously ill than he is letting on he did say in June that the cancer was only stage 1 in which case the chances of him recovering are pretty decent.Marks on the other hand is just biding his time with treatments and has admitted that as his cancer is stage 4 he can`t be cured and won`t be cured and that he is surprised he has lasted as long as he has.I reckon Marks is another Sam Simon.Will go on for a fair bit of time until the treatment stops working and then will die a couple of weeks later.

• Like 1

Horse feathers!!!

I've come to realize that all these jail birds are liars and they through themselves or their attorneys or manipulated family members highly exaggerate the level of their medical conditions in a hopeful attempt to get sympathy:

Howard Marks

Lynne Stewart

Sal DiMisi

Stephen Reed

Don Hill

(This list off the top of my head)

I don't believe the lot.

Marks may have slid into the end of my shadow list but it was one of the very last picks based on being more obittable than a couple others. It was also a defensive move for Death By Numbers game. I don't expect him to die though.

SC

I don't see the point in Marks doing the "totally dying, you all" trick Lynne Stewart pulled - he's been out of jail for 21 years now!

• Like 1

Also, missed this from a December interview with Howie:

You’re looking well but what’s the story with your illness?
A year ago I was diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer, which means I’ll die from it. It can take some time and I’m under massive chemotherapy doses which keeps my probability of living another year to 50%. It maintains it to that level as long as I subject myself to the hardest drugs I’ve ever taken in my life. Luckily I’m used to comedowns and stuff like that! I can deal with it better than most. It’s pretty hardcore. However, I haven’t had a moment’s depression since my diagnosis. I see cancer as a way of living rather than a way of dying, and once I made that switch in perception I was alright. A third of the world has it, or will have it, so it’s rapidly becoming a way of living for everyone. Not that insurance companies have caught up yet!

• Like 1

Also, missed this from a December interview with Howie:

You’re looking well but what’s the story with your illness?

A year ago I was diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer, which means I’ll die from it. It can take some time and I’m under massive chemotherapy doses which keeps my probability of living another year to 50%. It maintains it to that level as long as I subject myself to the hardest drugs I’ve ever taken in my life. Luckily I’m used to comedowns and stuff like that! I can deal with it better than most. It’s pretty hardcore. However, I haven’t had a moment’s depression since my diagnosis. I see cancer as a way of living rather than a way of dying, and once I made that switch in perception I was alright. A third of the world has it, or will have it, so it’s rapidly becoming a way of living for everyone. Not that insurance companies have caught up yet!

Yes, that interview was the reason I didn't pick him in the DDP. A survival chance of slightly higher than 50% was too risky.

Ditto to gc. While he could pop off this year and wouldn't shock me, and I've never doubted he was sincere about his ailment, he definitely seems to have the Sam Simon/Bryan Murray brand of stage 4 colon cancer ie still gonna kill him but quite the slow burner.

Twitter chatter says dead. Not yet confirmed by news sources.

In potentially related news, I quite like curly-wurlys.

• Like 1

All I see is his Wikipedia page been edited.

Probably a rumor.

Of course could be another Holly Woodlawn situation where the media doesn't pick up on their death for a few hours.