Death Watch Beatle

Marianne Faithfull

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I sat next to a lad at work who was covering maternity leave for an admin post.  He had a Sports Science degree but if you said something that failed to register on his personal radar he would instantly Google them and tell you he had never heard of them. When Paddy Ashdown died I told him how I had met him during the 1992 election campaign and my hand appeared on Newsnight.  He just looked at me blankly and turned to Google and said I have never heard of him. To be fair he was only born in 1995

I was at school with a girl, who despite studying for A-levels in Religious Studies and German didn't know that Martin Luther was not the same person as Martin Luther King. We ended up at the same university both studying German and every time Martin Luther was mentioned I would smirk to myself. 

Mind you, I shocked a colleague today when I said I didn't know who Nickleback are and I upset a pen pal because I didn't know who Years and Years are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A girl in my history class didn't know who Margaret Thatcher was and cheated in an exam and got zero.Lovely girl but thick as pigs shit.The amount of people who confused Prince Charles with Prince Philip when he was alive surprised me.

Best one I ever heard was a girl in my GCSE English class asking "Miss how come you never see Shakespeare on TV he isn't dead is he?" 

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Sean said:

A girl in my history class didn't know who Margaret Thatcher was and cheated in an exam and got zero.Lovely girl but thick as pigs hit.The amount of people who confused Prince Charles with Prince Philip when he was alive surprised me.

Best one I ever heard was a girl in my GCSE English class asking "Miss how come you never see Shakespeare on TV he isn't dead is he?" 

Was one of them Diane Abbott? :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kenny said:

Was one of them Diane Abbott? :lol:

Nope in the same league though.

New Rolling Stone interview. Pays tribute to Angelo Badalamenti.

Just guessing, but doesn't strike me as gravely ill. Tough one to topple clearly!

• Like 4

And yet the gofundme died within a day of the article being published :scratchhead:

She has bedblocker potential IMO. This thread seemed convinced she was on death's door back in late 2021, but all we've really gotten since then is a Rolling Stone interview that doesn't mention any health problems. But given that her lungs are apparently fucked up I doubt she'll be dropped even if her condition isn't deathbed-level.

• Like 1

I dunno she is still a decent pick although there where better available.Could well be a hit this year.

• Like 2

In a recent review of a book about the women closest to the Rolling Stones in their highest period of commercial and critical success there's a fairly frank assessment of how bad Marianne Faithfull's health got and what she traded for recovery. Crudely, along with the Methadone to get her off the smack after her suicide attempt she needed to put on weight and a combination of ale and her mother's yorkshire puddings did a lot of short-term good, but she gained five stone and Mick Jagger started looking at thinner women. She didn't have the body mass to sustain any kind of smack habit and another few months could easily have been fatal.

• Like 2

“I’d been very ill, but I am now much better,” she said. “I got Covid very badly, at the same time my best friend, Hal Willner died. When I came around, I had to learn to walk again, and I have done that. I am very lucky; I’m in a good place, I’m happy to be at peace, to not be dying (yet!) and I’ve got very good friends. Part of getting older is being lonely, losing friends, and you kind of have to accept that, but I don’t like it! As you can imagine, my life has changed completely; it’s hard, but it’s beautiful."

The photo in the RS article - I was at that gig.  So glad I went as it was the last chance to see her perform in the UK, although we didn't know that at the time.

• Like 7

Happy to get some positive news about Marianne :wub:

She will certainly be taken off the DL.

• Like 3

She's done well to get this far, and recover from long covid, but she does still have COPD, and as this album is to raise money for her health care in Britain, I suspect she's staying at Denville Hall for her health for good. 

• Like 3