Death Watch Beatle

Marianne Faithfull

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

For anyone not too familiar with Faithfull, she’ll be 74 this year. She was a heroin addict, heavy drinker and didn’t quit smoking until 2014. She has suffered from anorexia, had breast cancer, hepatitis C, has had hip replacement and suffered from chronic back problems. 

Either “somebody up there” really likes her or they’re not keen and wish for her to stay here as long as possible...

She's clearly a very tough old bird. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

She does however feel like someone on borrowed time - partly thanks to most of the ailments above. She feels like she'd fit right in home somewhere between 45 and 50 on the 2021 DL providing she is still breathing on January 1st.

Likely to have even more lung damage as a result of how ill she has been with the virus.

She has lost weight and looks very tired/exhausted. But hey - she survived! Again!!! :bow:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

What's with her right hand?

It’s joined to her right arm 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Marianne Faithful on R4 Today show just now, sounding rough as hell and particularly ancient, although she states she has completely recovered from covid-19.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Marianne Faithful on R4 Today show just now, sounding rough as hell and particularly ancient

So fully back to normal, then.

• Haha 3

On 21/05/2020 at 06:30, ObakeFilter said:

What's with her right hand?

Reaching for a Mars Bar!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Marianne on her almost fatal Covid infection, the longterm effects and her possibly final album:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/15/marianne-faithfull-i-was-in-a-dark-place-presumably-it-was-death

I'm glad I took the chance to see her, what, five years ago already?  I can't see much chance of her performing live again as she was pretty fragile then, but I hope she goes on as long as she wants to.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm glad I took the chance to see her, what, five years ago already?  I can't see much chance of her performing live again as she was pretty fragile then, but I hope she goes on as long as she wants to.

Same here. Seeing her live in concert in my home town in 2014 was a once-in-a-lifetime-chance.

Will buy her album blind. Will enjoy it.

@Toast What's your favorite album of her? Mine is "Vagabond Ways" from 1999. Very dark, very slow, very deep. Still love it!

But I also love "Give my love to London" and "Broken English", of course!

Oh, and "Horses and High Heels", brilliant!!!

Never like "Before the poison" that much, even though she had worked with PJ Harvey and Nick Cave on it.

Yes, I have Vagabond Ways and Broken English, brilliant.   Also Dangerous Acquaintances which has the heartrending "Truth, Bitter Truth". I need to get GMLTL.

I've also got a great compilation called A Perfect Stranger which is either a good introduction or handy to keep in the car, depending who's listening.

• Like 1

Got "A Perfect Stranger", too! :bow:

I also like the album "Kissin Time", where she worked with Beck, Billy Corgan and Damon Albarn.

"Sex with strangers" - very outstanding:

• Like 1

As some other famous singer said, I need a love reaction :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

As some other famous singer said, I need a love reaction :lol:

Do you mean the song by Divine? :D

No, you need the "Give my love to London"-album!!!

Love her, cannot stand her voice - even on 'As Tears Go By'.

And although she states in the Guardian article that doesn't like being thought of as a muse, I've always thought her and Jane Birkin ought to do a double-header gig. It would be a wonderful evening.

Also, Marianne as 'God' in Ab Fab is the greatest piece of casting ever imho. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Book said:

Do you mean the song by Divine? :D

:lol: No, Bruce Springsteen (from Dancing In The Dark)

• Haha 1

Telegraphs got a bit on the front page about Marianne being unable to sing anymore due to long covid issues. Looking around she's done a big interview with Uncut (snippets unpaywalled) where she notes her declining health and memory issues, and another with The Age, all for the new album. Telegraph piece not online yet so don't know if there's any new info in it. Anyhow, she does have COPD and overcame a covid coma last year which is worth a standing ovation itself.

"I managed not to die" she tells Uncut. Legend.

Yesterday I received the pre-ordered new album from Marianne Faithfull (with Warren Ellis): "She walks in beauty".

First of all I had to break away from believing that I can listen to a typical MF-music album. The new album is spoken poetry underlaid with music. That's not a bad thing at first. But let's have a look on these 3 components (speech, poetry, music):

speech/spoken: The marvellous Marianne Faithfull! As a big fan, I really like her special voice, wether she is singing or speaking. As a example I absolutely adore „After the ceasefire“ from her 1999 masterpiece „Vagabond Ways“. Very atmospheric, very nice story. MF really had a powerful and expressive voice, absolutely suitable for demanding literature and poetry, but also for rock, pop and chanson. So nothing to complain about at first.

However, the new album consists only of spoken parts, probably because MF just can't sing anymore (because of several health reasons). Her voice almost consistently sounds powerless and breathless, and the lyrics are sometimes spoken very droning und read down. As a great stage interpreter, e.g. also of Brecht's texts, she would certainly have spoken the poems far more expressively at other times.

poetry: Setting old texts and poems to music is a tradition. But I find it difficult to get access to these old English texts and I cannot say whether it would be easier for me in German. I know "The Lady of Shalott" in the version of the gifted Loreena McKennitt, who merges with this text in a very inimitable way with singing, interpretation and music. Unfortunately, MF can't do that here, I'm so sorry.

Music: OMG, I can't stand this banter and jingling! This is worse than elevator music! This music is... absolutely nothing! Very uninspired soundscapes, which for me do not convey anything at all and sound the same in every track. Boring. Unworthy. Disappointing.

But: I ordered the deluxe edition which comes in a beautiful booklet with poems and paintings. Since I haven't bought a CD for so long, I held the album very reverently in my hands and was reminded of the old days when CDs were also art. A nice moment.

I'm going to add this album to my MF collection now - and it will just stay there.

I would have wished for a good album (her last album from 2018 was great for example!), but unfortunately it didn't turn out to be for me.

Marianne - I love you anyway! :wub:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, I.R.Baboon said:

A Dutch journalist visited her in september because of the album she released with Warren Ellis. She could only speak for a short while without extra oxygen. Watch for yourself over here: https://platform.ilfu.com/op-bezoek-bij-de-legendarische-marianne-faithfull

She still sounds pretty good.  Of course, we knew she'd had a bad case of Covid and she will still be feeling the effects.

Interestingly she was filmed at Denville Hall.  I wonder if she's just convalescing there, or if it's a permanent move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

She still sounds pretty good.  Of course, we knew she'd had a bad case of Covid and she will still be feeling the effects.

Interestingly she was filmed at Denville Hall.  I wonder if she's just convalescing there, or if it's a permanent move.

The corresponding article says she stayed there for 5 months (as of september), it doesn't make clear whether it was/will be temporal.

• Thanks 1