Weebl

Close To The End

More avantgarde than prog really, but Tony Conrad, known for collaborations with Faust and John Cale, dies aged 76:

http://buffalo.com/2016/04/09/news/art/tony-conrad-avant-garde-pioneer-ub-professor-dies-76/

In other news, John Wetton's latest CT scan reveals no change, now onto round 10 of chemo. Is this bad news for him? I don't know enough about the cancer process to be able to say, but it doesn't sound great...

And half the battle with prog is getting great sound...sad, then.

• Like 1

Everyone knows about the 27 Club...

Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and perhaps Amy Winehouse...

How about the 69 to 71 Club?

David Bowie, Lou Reed, Jack Bruce, Keith Emerson, Edgar Froese, Lemmy...

Just need one more & we can have a S Club 7 reunion ! (S stands for 'Sixty nine to seventy one').

Ain't no deadpool party like an S Club party !

• Like 1

Another one to add to the 69 club. Phil Ryan, keyboard player with Welsh proggers Man, died on 30 April aged 69.

http://dmme.net/manband-phil-ryan-passed-away/

Heard of the band, think I've heard one of their albums, but never heard of him as an individual person.

I get the impression he's too obscure a figure to be the missing 7th member of the club.

He's from the lone star state; that's how Texans are.

At least he says it to your face, not behind your back (topical at the moment) and takes as good as he gives. good_vs_evil.gif

Pardon my pause, Cat. I got busy.

I'm 'from' Detroit but live in Louisiana not Texas though it's a fair cop.

SC

He's from the lone star state; that's how Texans are.

At least he says it to your face, not behind your back (topical at the moment) and takes as good as he gives. good_vs_evil.gif

Pardon my pause, Cat. I got busy.

I'm 'from' Detroit but live in Louisiana not Texas though it's a fair cop.

SC

They only call him Tex because he doesn't like it when they call him Louise.

• Like 1

Gilli Smyth of Gong dies aged 83, joining her late husband David Allen:

http://www.planetgong.co.uk/news/current.shtml#gilli

Never really cared for Gong's silly "psychedelic hippie stoner" philosophy at all, but nonetheless some of their music is pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, but true to the spirit of their times they cared for you, man!

• Like 1

John Wetton appears not to have tweeted in almost two weeks - should we be worried? Seemed to be constantly tweeting almost every day then just silence.

He is supposed to be performing at a 2017 prog festival in February in the US. Let's just hope he makes it that long...

I think he would be a good pick for the committee to consider for 2017, and definitely obit-worthy due to his work with Asia.

On his Twitter account John Wetton reveals that he nearly died from sepsis:

post-11514-0-66962200-1477411851_thumb.png

He is clearly not a well man. Metastatic cancer and now sepsis - combined with a history of alcoholism, heart disease and diabetes. The only question in my mind is whether the committee will have the sense to include him on the 2017 list.

Wetton has stopped tweeting again - he has been completely silent since Sunday. And the last tweet was about being in hospital. Not sure if that means he's back in hospital or what, no information.

If he survives the year, the man is an absolute must for 2017.

Wetton has stopped tweeting again - he has been completely silent since Sunday. And the last tweet was about being in hospital. Not sure if that means he's back in hospital or what, no information.

Aye, the most audience demand he's known in a few years, eh?

• Like 1

Maybe someone can pick him for the AVALDP (giving a hint here).

He was actually touring the world as recently as last year, but he was first diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half ago.

What's the AVALDP?

He was actually touring the world as recently as last year, but he was first diagnosed with cancer about a year and a half ago.

What's the AVALDP?

Advent Avalanche Deadpool. In the Dead Pool forum
  • Like 1

Wetton has broken his Twitter silence again - he said that he has just spent another week in hospital battling sepsis.

Can anyone on here shed any light on sepsis? How lethal is it, particularly when combined with cancer? I'd imagine the outlook is pretty poor with both of those conditions, but I'm not a doctor.

After having picked Wetton for the AVALP, I have just learned that he got married yesterday. Look on his Twitter feed.

Congratulations to him and his wife, but the one thing I notice from the picture is how deathly thin he looks:

Cyh_XMi_RXc_AAog_W9_jpg_large.jpg

It is particularly noticeable that he looks very thin, considering that up until recently he was quite a fat guy - compare that with this photo from 2014, where he appears centre stage at the front:

Asia_Band2014jpg.jpg

Practically unrecognisable as being the same person, and that's within the space of two and a half years.

In photos from the 2000s, Wetton looks like a big fat guy. In 2014 he looks to have shed a little bit of that weight but since his cancer he looks to have dropped huge amounts of weight.

What I suspect is that Wetton knows that he is terminally ill and probably has a matter of months left to live, and is tying the knot with his wife while he has the chance to do so.

Wow. I had him penciled in for 'watch this guy for 2018' now not so sure.

SC

• Like 1

He does look frail in the photo, almost as bad as Peter Sallis tbh.

• Like 1

What you mean?Peter Sallis isnt thin and gaunt that I have seen.Wetton looks at deaths door.Reckon he is marrying before it is too late like Gill and Banks.

• Like 1

After having picked Wetton for the AVALP, I have just learned that he got married yesterday. Look on his Twitter feed.

Congratulations to him and his wife, but the one thing I notice from the picture is how deathly thin he looks:

Cyh_XMi_RXc_AAog_W9_jpg_large.jpg

It is particularly noticeable that he looks very thin, considering that up until recently he was quite a fat guy - compare that with this photo from 2014, where he appears centre stage at the front:

Asia_Band2014jpg.jpg

Practically unrecognisable as being the same person, and that's within the space of two and a half years.

In photos from the 2000s, Wetton looks like a big fat guy. In 2014 he looks to have shed a little bit of that weight but since his cancer he looks to have dropped huge amounts of weight.

What I suspect is that Wetton knows that he is terminally ill and probably has a matter of months left to live, and is tying the knot with his wife while he has the chance to do so.

He is visibly fucked.

• Like 1

Maybe that's some other dude named John Wetton.

• Like 1

Wow. I had him penciled in for 'watch this guy for 2018' now not so sure.

SC

I'd be astounded to see Wetton make 2018 at this stage.

There's close to thirty years age difference between Sallis and Wetton, though.

What you mean?Peter Sallis isnt thin and gaunt that I have seen.Wetton looks at deaths door.Reckon he is marrying before it is too late like Gill and Banks.

Pretty much.

If Wetton sees 2017, he's pretty much a lock. Think he's more of a Sam Simon or a Martin Crowe type case than a Wilko Johnson...

• Like 1

I don't know what role sepsis has in this present photo. It's been an ongoing thing for at least 5-6 weeks we know of. Could be worn down cuz of that and not necessarily the Big C, not to dismiss it but just sayin. Patty Duke died of sepsis this year, but we didn't see any photos of her during her event. Maybe it fuxyou up like that I've no idea.

SC

• Like 2