Weebl

Close To The End

Tough to judge on pictures though: otherwise Bobby Heenan, for example, would have been dead years ago.

• Like 2

I don't know what role sepsis has in this present photo. It's been an ongoing thing for at least 5-6 weeks we know of. Could be worn down cuz of that and not necessarily the Big C, not to dismiss it but just sayin. Patty Duke died of sepsis this year, but we didn't see any photos of her during her event. Maybe it fuxyou up like that I've no idea.

SC

For comparison, here's a photo of Wetton from September, before his sepsis was announced:

Cs9p7_Hr_WAAAglk_L_jpg_large.jpg

Tough to judge on pictures though: otherwise Bobby Heenan, for example, would have been dead years ago.

I had to check Wikipedia for a bio on Heenan as I didn't actually know who he was!

I had to check Wikipedia for a bio on Heenan as I didn't actually know who he was!

He's a genius, sadly unable to do regular TV since his first bout of throat cancer fifteen years ago. If you look at any photos of him he looks like a sneeze would see for him, but seemingly underneath it there's sterner stuff.

Yer man Wetton seems ill, but you'd think some sort of press would be covering it by now.

• Like 1

He's a genius, sadly unable to do regular TV since his first bout of throat cancer fifteen years ago. If you look at any photos of him he looks like a sneeze would see for him, but seemingly underneath it there's sterner stuff.

Yer man Wetton seems ill, but you'd think some sort of press would be covering it by now.

Plenty of music websites have covered his illness, but there hasn't been a lot of mention of it in the bigger press.

I would definitely expect him to obit without question in UK mainstream news.

The thing is, could you see him alive on January 1st 2018? I certainly couldn't at the rate he's going.

I might be shooting myself in the foot by saying this, but Wetton is billed to appear at Cruise to the Edge festival in the US in February:

Conpi_Lj_Wc_AAy_Elm_jpg_large.jpg

Whether he will actually appear though, is another question altogether. I don't think he will be healthy enough to.

I just might have spoken too soon ...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/hvey3t8

Journey & Asia 2017 Tour Dates

Asia will be touring with Journey in 2017! John, Geoff, Carl and Sam are excited to see you on the road.

“Asia is honoured to be asked to share the stage with Journey,” says ASIA’s lead singer and bassist John Wetton, who has been fighting cancer since 2015 after the band finished its last US tour. “On a personal note, this couldn’t have come at a better time for me; I remain determined and my road to a full recovery continues. I look forward to seeing everyone on the tour next year”.

I don't get it - Wetton has looked really ill recently with metastatic cancer and sepsis, and yet he expects he might be able to make a full recovery? How can he be expecting to go on tour in 2017 given how ill he has been?

One thing's for sure - he may be quite seriously ill, but you can't deny that he's a fighter...

Best of luck to him in making that full recovery - he will certainly need it!

Asia will be touring with Journey in 2017! John, Geoff, Carl and Sam are excited to see you on the road.

“Asia is honoured to be asked to share the stage with Journey,” says ASIA’s lead singer and bassist John Wetton, who has been fighting cancer since 2015 after the band finished its last US tour. “On a personal note, this couldn’t have come at a better time for me; I remain determined and my road to a full recovery continues. I look forward to seeing everyone on the tour next year”.

I don't get it - Wetton has looked really ill recently with metastatic cancer and sepsis, and yet he expects he might be able to make a full recovery? How can he be expecting to go on tour in 2017 given how ill he has been?

One thing's for sure - he may be quite seriously ill, but you can't deny that he's a fighter...

I certainly wouldn't write him off yet. He may be expecting to recover, but we don't know for sure. He's certainly a fighter, but I don't think he'll actually fully recover. There has already been a ton of damage done.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't write him off yet. He may be expecting to recover, but we don't know for sure. He's certainly a fighter, but I don't think he'll actually fully recover. There has already been a ton of damage done.

Even if he did fully recover (say in the Wilko Johnson fashion), he would always be one for DeathList to keep an eye on at any rate.

But what I don't understand is how he can be looking as ill as he has looked - practically looking at death's door - and yet feels as though he's healthy enough to tour in 2017? Many of his fans on Twitter expressed the same concerns - namely, they thought that he would not be healthy enough to go on tour.

I can't work it out. Surely he wouldn't agree to go ahead with the tour if he didn't feel that he was on the mend? It is a small US tour in spring 2017, mind, but that's still a lot for someone battling cancer and sepsis to have to deal with. How would he manage to stand up on stage for two hours at a time and sing songs and play bass if he's as ill as he is?

• Like 1

Asia is honoured to be asked to share the stage with Journey, says ASIAs lead singer and bassist John Wetton, who has been fighting cancer since 2015 after the band finished its last US tour. On a personal note, this couldnt have come at a better time for me; I remain determined and my road to a full recovery continues. I look forward to seeing everyone on the tour next year.

Even if he did fully recover (say in the Wilko Johnson fashion), he would always be one for DeathList to keep an eye on at any rate.

But what I don't understand is how he can be looking as ill as he has looked - practically looking at death's door - and yet feels as though he's healthy enough to tour in 2017? Many of his fans on Twitter expressed the same concerns - namely, they thought that he would not be healthy enough to go on tour.

I can't work it out. Surely he wouldn't agree to go ahead with the tour if he didn't feel that he was on the mend? It is a small US tour in spring 2017, mind, but that's still a lot for someone battling cancer and sepsis to have to deal with. How would he manage to stand up on stage for two hours at a time and sing songs and play bass if he's as ill as he is?

He is doing a Robin Gibb.Carrying on with future plansand concerts that he cant realistically see through.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding my own skeptical nature as to his being terminal, why not? There's no point just giving up - either you get to do the tour, or you don't, because dead. If you do, it takes your mind off stuff, and if you die, well, you're hardly going to notice.

• Like 3

Is it just me, or has the close to the end thread kind of becoming the official John Wetton thread.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding my own skeptical nature as to his being terminal, why not? There's no point just giving up - either you get to do the tour, or you don't, because dead. If you do, it takes your mind off stuff, and if you die, well, you're hardly going to notice.

Insurance might be a problem.

• Like 1

2014 DQSP hit Paul Revere was playing gigs up until August of that year. He died in October.

• Like 1

There is a third possibility: he remains alive but is too ill to tour.

We'll see what happens!

There is a third possibility: he remains alive but is too ill to tour.

We'll see what happens!

Would be sweet karma for trying to cash in one last time.

Is it just me, or has the close to the end thread kind of becoming the official John Wetton thread.

Just you, this thread'll outlive him by the looks of it and might become the unofficial thread for some other endangered progger before too long.

They're old, they smoked like chimneys (or a lot of them did) and some of them did other serious drugs.

• Like 1

Just you, this thread'll outlive him by the looks of it and might become the unofficial thread for some other endangered progger before too long.

They're old, they smoked like chimneys (or a lot of them did) and some of them did other serious drugs.

Well there's a strong focus on Wetton on this thread at the moment for understandable reasons, but I've also discussed the likes of Keith Emerson and Chris Squire (who died before this thread was created) in this thread.

I don't think prog rock was particularly bad for the use of hard drugs (especially heroin and cocaine) but no doubt many of them dabbled in psychedelics like LSD, mushrooms and of course wacky baccy. Wetton was also a heavy drinker and there are even rumours that he was once a heroin addict. Especially in the 70s he went through being a member of a ton of different bands from that era, and kept either leaving those bands or being expelled - surely a sign of instability, and quite possibly drug or drink related.

Actually, when I created this thread last year there was a big hoo hah over whether this thread should have the right to exist at all. Some users were annoyed that I'd created a thread with significant overlap with the Pink Floyd / Piper at the Gates of Heaven thread. I then went on to question why, if that thread was truly representative of deaths in progressive rock, Chris Squire's death that year was not mentioned at all in that thread. Clearly a new thread was needed.

Anyway, it's not that important whether we have two threads with similar themes - I'm sure there are far more important things in both the world and in our own personal lives - I'm sure there are more important things in mine!

Personally I would have left the thread title as

220px-Yes-close.jpg

(No U2 jokes please)

Blimey! There's an epitaph.

That's the only King Crimson reference I can make.

• Like 1

Weebl picked the wrong former king crimson member...

• Like 1

Ironic he died so close to Christmas like Kirsty MacColl.

• Like 1

:( Another for the 69 Club.

• Like 1

Fair play to Greg Lake, mind; ended all debates about whether this thread is too focussed on John Wetton. If these things do come in threes then Palmer may well be spared because the other P who made one album with them (Cozy Powell) was worm food years ago

• Like 1

With all due respect to Palmer, how's Rick Wakeman these days?

• Like 2