Weebl

Close To The End

Think that puts me temporarily top if nothing else happens by the next update. That'd be a first for me and a long time coming...

• Like 5

As soon as the Twitter account went silent I assumed it'd be a matter of weeks not months.

Asia were fucking shit, though. RIP.

• Like 1

Think that puts me temporarily top if nothing else happens by the next update. That'd be a first for me and a long time coming...

Nice to see you, Bert! Your visits are too infrequent these days.

• Like 1

Nice to see you, Bert! Your visits are too infrequent these days.

Cheers Toast! I'm usually lurking in the shadows somewhere....maybe I'll chip in more often and help in the fight against the growing number of 'shitposters' :shoot:

• Like 4

Reports on Twitter indicating John Wetton has died, nothing concrete...https://twitter.com/JakkoJ/status/826364934749638656

Geoff Downes also confirming....https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/826383859533115392

Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/king-crimsons-john-wetton-dead-9727850

• Like 1

RIP to him.

Oh, and well done to Weebl. We get so many newcomers who just splurge names left right and centre, that we ought to welcome when folk come along with an actual under the radar scoop. Even if yours truly completely failed to take note of it for my main team.

• Like 5

Yes indeed, Weebl almost certainly got JW into the Drop 40 single-handedly.

• Like 1

Extraordinary one-man work by Weebl guaranteed his place in the Drop 40. I've always considered him a dead cert from the first post of Weebl about him and I have to thak Weebl for Wetton's inclusion in my DDP team.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have even thought of him had it not been for Weebl. Because of Weebl's tracking of Wetton, he eventually became an important name for the DDP, and I'd be sure I would've regret that had I decided that there wasn't enough evidence from him.

• Like 1

RIP to him.

Oh, and well done to Weebl. We get so many newcomers who just splurge names left right and centre, that we ought to welcome when folk come along with an actual under the radar scoop. Even if yours truly completely failed to take note of it for my main team.

Extraordinary one-man work by Weebl guaranteed his place in the Drop 40. I've always considered him a dead cert from the first post of Weebl about him and I have to thak Weebl for Wetton's inclusion in my DDP team.

I wouldn't have even thought of him had it not been for Weebl. Because of Weebl's tracking of Wetton, he eventually became an important name for the DDP, and I'd be sure I would've regret that had I decided that there wasn't enough evidence from him.

Thanks people.

But first of all - rest in peace John Wetton. Not only a great musician who was an important figure in progressive rock during his years with King Crimson and many other bands in the seventies and who later found huge success with Asia in the eighties, but also an inspiring individual in beating alcoholism and battling cancer bravely.

I first learned of Wetton's illness around summer 2015, after having listened to a radio broadcast featuring him. Initially he was saying that he'd survived cancer, but then it emerged that the cancer had returned and spread around autumn 2015. From then on after, and especially after the sepsis and the wedding and the photos after that, I knew that he was a goner. He chose to remain optimistic, saying that he was going to be appearing at a festival and going on tour in 2017, but it wasn't even remotely realistic. And then earlier this month he said he was withdrawing from the festival and tour, and then he stopped tweeting, and that was basically it.

And, I think I'm justified in saying, shame on you, Deathlist Committee. There was plenty of discussion about Wetton on this forum, yet the committee chose to ignore everything that was said and exclude him from the list.

Oh well - when all is said and done, a hit for my list if not for the Deathlist!

• Like 8

Daily Mail link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4176842/Asia-singer-John-Wetton-died-aged-67.html

Right, I've got other things to do so won't be back on here tonight. If you find any other obits for Wetton, please be posting them here. Thanks!

EDIT: Just been checking Google News. Plenty of sites around the world reporting his death, but the UK media has been rather slow. I suspect there will be more reports of his death in the UK media tomorrow if they don't appear tonight.

You are right. King Crimson is a beloved group in Italy and they were on an Italian tour last autumn.

Also, can someone explain to me what Drop 40 is?

Don't care if I come across as a newbie. I'm a casual death lister...

The Derby Dead Pool, which is the biggest dead pool round these parts, has a "Drop 40" section consisting of the 40 most picked names in the pool. Previously just for show, but it now carries competitive importance as any name on the Drop 40 who dies carries a 3 point bonus.

RIP to him.

Thanks people.

But first of all - rest in peace John Wetton. Not only a great musician who was an important figure in progressive rock during his years with King Crimson and many other bands in the seventies and who later found huge success with Asia in the eighties, but also an inspiring individual in beating alcoholism and battling cancer bravely.

I first learned of Wetton's illness around summer 2015, after having listened to a radio broadcast featuring him. Initially he was saying that he'd survived cancer, but then it emerged that the cancer had returned and spread around autumn 2015. From then on after, and especially after the sepsis and the wedding and the photos after that, I knew that he was a goner. He chose to remain optimistic, saying that he was going to be appearing at a festival and going on tour in 2017, but it wasn't even remotely realistic. And then earlier this month he said he was withdrawing from the festival and tour, and then he stopped tweeting, and that was basically it.

And, I think I'm justified in saying, shame on you, Deathlist Committee. There was plenty of discussion about Wetton on this forum, yet the committee chose to ignore everything that was said and exclude him from the list.

Oh well - when all is said and done, a hit for my list if not for the Deathlist!

Well stated. As I said, what with Wetton and Lake and Squire and for die-hards Nik Potter, etc, we haven't hardly any prog bassists left. It's a sad day.

FWIW the Peavey amp and amp head combo I used were promoted by Peavey as the rig 'John Wetton uses'. I still have the documentation in a file cabinet. It wasn't a particular selling point but interesting nonetheless.

​RIP Mr. Wetton

​SirC

The Derby Dead Pool, which is the biggest dead pool round these parts, has a "Drop 40" section consisting of the 40 most picked names in the pool. Previously just for show, but it now carries competitive importance as any name on the Drop 40 who dies carries a 3 point bonus.

Link for your convenience

Derby Dead Pool

Wetton makes it five death predictions right for me from my fifty so far before we got to the end of January.

No-one mentioned the sad and tragic death of Thotch legend Brian Pern yet?

Segway mistake apparently.

RIP.

• Like 2

No-one mentioned the sad and tragic death of Thotch legend Brian Pern yet?

Segway mistake apparently.

RIP.

Well, the BBC have and that tribute beats anything on offer via Last Word.

cfae040dca099e71264b9f87b918d068.thumb.jpg.de1dcb08053ae5567b97b8d346cfab17.jpg

Robert Fripp's diary includes an account of John Wetton's funeral:

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert Fripp/RF_diary_2017_Feb_23

Looking back further through Robert Fripp's diary, we find some correspondence between Fripp and Wetton:

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert Fripp/RF_diary_2017_Jan_31

You may notice all the "I love you xxx" in those emails - is it just me, or is it not a bit gay for two heterosexual men to talk like that, even if they have been friends for many years and one of them is seriously ill with cancer? Or am I just a homophobic prick?

Anyway - after the deaths of prog giants Squire, Emerson, Lake and Wetton, hopefully there won't be any more big name deaths on the prog scene for a good while.

14 minutes ago, Weebl said:

Or am I just a homophobic prick?

Yes.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2017 at 08:49, maryportfuncity said:

Well, the BBC have and that tribute beats anything on offer via Last Word.

Oh aye, and in case you missed it he's NOT DEAD - as alive as all XI of my Deathlist Cup team for round two. Faked the whole thing and alive in the Amazon rainforest whilst Mike Batt replaces him in the band and turns Thotch into a head-on collision between prog and rehashing the hits of the Wombles.