Sign in to follow this  
msc

Robert Hardy

If Super bloody Gran can get a thread when no one remembers if shes even alive, then surely one of our greatest living thespians can?

Robert Hardy is the dean of British character actors. Best known for a long stint opposite Peter Davison (whom he mentored) in All Creatures Great and Small as vet Siegfried Farnon, he has also appeared in everything under the sun, except, peculiarly, Doctor Who.

You might also recognise him from the Harry Potter films (Cornelius Fudge), and about nearly everything the BBC does with Churchill in it.

32d3b4178de0bff3f28beca9afde7706.jpg

He is now 90, is the type of person the Deathlist likes (think George Cole and Peter Sallis), and more pertinently, has began to sell off his beloved collection of antiques and historical items, which isn't something he'd do lightly. So whilst the Mail claims he is in good shape for 90, there's something causing him to downsize his most prized possessions.

Besides, if Nicholas Parsons can get his own thread despite being the Healthiest Man in Britain...

• Like 2

I didn't even know he was still alive.

Good spot.

Ah, but have you ever seen him and Nicholas Parsons in the same room?

• Like 1

Have you ever seen Nicholas Parsons with his hand up a cows arse?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have you ever seen Nicholas Parsons with his hand up a cows arse?

That would have been an unusual prize on Sale of the Century!

• Like 4

Robert Hardy is also an expert on the medieval long bow iirc

So, despite his age his hasn't got Alzheimers, then.

Hasn't appreared recently in anything but one of my favorite roles is the early Channel 4 sitcom Hot Metal where he played the Newspaper proprietor and the sleazy Deputy Editor opposite Geoffrey Palmer (series 1) and Richard Wilson (series 2).

Very funny.

Hasn't appreared recently in anything but one of my favorite roles is the early Channel 4 sitcom Hot Metal where he played the Newspaper proprietor and the sleazy Deputy Editor opposite Geoffrey Palmer (series 1) and Richard Wilson (series 2).

Very funny.

It is very good. I especially like the audience reaction when they realise Hardy plays both the new editor and the Rupert Murdoch type. He and Palmer (another potential Deathlist favourite) play off each other wonderfully.

Very funny.

It is very good. I especially like the audience reaction when they realise Hardy plays both the new editor and the Rupert Murdoch type. He and Palmer (another potential Deathlist favourite) play off each other wonderfully.

Series 2 is sillier but Richard Wilson is on fine withering form.

This week there seems to be lots of threads randomly being made for people just because they're about to turn 90. It'd be dreadfully bad form if someone was to bump their Robert Hardy thread.

No word on if he's ill or anything though, but him selling off some of his prized possessions suddenly was far more ominous than people remembering Harry Belafonte exists.

• Like 1

So whilst the Mail claims he is in good shape for 90, there's something causing him to downsize his most prized possessions.

No word on if he's ill or anything though, but him selling off some of his prized possessions suddenly was far more ominous than people remembering Harry Belafonte exists.

The article said that he is downsizing his home, which means he's planning to move somewhere smaller. So probably nothing ominous, just that there won't be room for it all.

So whilst the Mail claims he is in good shape for 90, there's something causing him to downsize his most prized possessions.

The article said that he is downsizing his home, which means he's planning to move somewhere smaller. So probably nothing ominous, just that there won't be room for it all.

You were probably right. He's still doing talks, and looks hearty for a man soon to be 91 in the photo attached to that news article.

Imdb also suggests he's going to be in this.

You were probably right. He's still doing talks, and looks hearty for a man soon to be 91 in the photo attached to that news article.

That has to be an old photo judging by his appearance on BBC News at lunchtime today.

image.jpg

That has to be an old photo judging by his appearance on BBC News at lunchtime today.

image.jpg

Watched it. Starting to look his age, but still working...

Still far more worthy of a Deathlist spot than Lester Piggot at this point in time, though.

Still far more worthy of a Deathlist spot than Lester Piggot at this point in time, though.

Lester's always looked like that.

• Like 1

Robert Hardy to travel to North Yorkshire for James Herriot Gala Dinner on 1st October. He lives in the Cotswolds, so able to travel significant distances, then.

I like how active he's been this year after this thread was made, with BBC appearances, and gala dinners. If I'd known I had this level of jinxing power, I'd have made a thread for Patrick Macnee when I'd had the chance!

Actually, the Twitter account that started that petition, who clearly has some gen on Hardy, reported on the 14th that he was unable to make a convention:

They started that petition on the 15th. On the clock?

Might just be - hopefully - that the travel to London might be a bit much now. Or that someone well known for being "unable to deal with idiots well" perhaps shouldn't go to Comic Con?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Curious that the Change.org petition to get Bobby a knighthood makes specific mention of the fact "timing is crucial".

https://www.change.org/p/make-it-sir-robert-hardy-act-now-timing-is-crucial

Anybody who is 91 is on borrowed time so I wouldn't read too much into it. However, a possibility for 2018!

Already put it in 2017 deaths - didn't see he had his own thread!

RIP to a good actor that had a huge variety of roles over his very long career..

Noticing that Christopher Timothy was in The Virgin Soldiers with Hywel Bennett and All Creatures Great And Small with RH.

He be a jinx....