Sir Creep

DL Dead Pools

He's a gold medal boxer I'm not concerned about an obit. You can change people midstream? I gotta learn rules of all these DPs, someone should post them all in one link called DL Rules or summat.

SC

• Like 1

On 07/11/2015 at 00:56, Sir Creep said:

He's a gold medal boxer I'm not concerned about an obit. You can change people midstream? I gotta learn rules of all these DPs, someone should post them all in one link called DL Rules or summat.

SC

No, but the game does start afresh on January 1st, so thoughts do move towards the 2019 team.

DDP - 20 names (plus 3 subs in case any die before 1st January), no changes throughout the year, picks need to have a mention as having died on one of about 20 obit sources. From loose memory, the American stars who don't get obits here tend to struggle to get them in the US too, but that's not a fast rule.

Deathrace - 20 names, if a pick dies on January 1st its 365 points, January 2nd 364 etc etc. First team to 2019 next year wins. MPFC runs it, and likes a swift fast winner, so will accept nearly any obit known to man, even a mention in passing in the horoscope section of an US newspaper. As reigning champion (somehow), I picked up points from the translation of a French parish newsletter. No changes as the game is expected to end ASAP.

Hares Pool - Deathray's YWillz  Deathray's game (in which you pick 25 celebs), much like the Deathrace but reverse. So you want to pick lingerers who might snuff it in December 2019. Joker points double for one pick, but sods law can come in here - I got 8 points for Rayya Elias this year!

Death by Years - Shauns  RadGuy Reptile's  game. You pick 50 names, and gain points on death corresponding to the persons year of birth. For example, if you go for Jimmy Carter and he dies, you get 24 points. Or double that,if he's your joker.

Hartlepool Deadlypool - Right, so you pick 10 names and 2 subs. You win points based on the position of the person on your list ie if 1st place dies first you get 50 points, and then so on, but if they die out of order, the points won goes down by 5 points each time. There is a staggering number of bonus points which multiply, so people can gain huge points on one pick. The grand master of this is The Dead Cow who got 200+ bonus points on one pick (Vanessa Marquez) in 2018. Sounds complicated but is quite enjoyable and the host does all the maths for you...

Inverse Deadpool - Formerly run by Spade, now by Death Impends, it starts in mid-January when the Deathlist 50 and the Drop 40 (most popular picks on 2016's Derby Dead Pool) are known. You pick the 25 people on each you think will definitely not die, and were stupid picks. Then if they die, you lose points. The person with 0, or the closes to a positive score, wins.

Deathlist Cup - Runs Feb-June. You get drawn against another competitor and put a team of 11 names. 3 points for a successful hit during a match, 4 if they are unique. Each match takes a single month, only winners advance to the next round. Famous Only for Dying types (ie "tragic last christmas cancer mums") are banned from this deadpool.

Poker - Runs July-December. Pick 25 names, YWillz assigns a random poker card to each name, and if they die, you get points and bonuses.

Windy City - Runs May to May. 21 names, points attributed per spot on the team. So 1st gets 500 points, 2nd 450 and so on...

Alt Obits - Run on the Alt Obits website. Pick 40 names, hope they pass the fame requirement (which is a bit in flux by the hour) and then lose to Alt Obits Guy.

Deathlist Correction - Runs Jan to December. You pick the people you think will die on the DL. When they do you gain points. When they dont you lose points.

54321 - Runs Jan to December. Pick 5 people. You gain points (5-4-3-2-1) based on how few others picked them first.

Inverse I - Pick 10 names off Wormfarmers list. If any of them die you are out.

ABC Deadpool - Runs August to August. Picks based on alphabetical order with bonuses.

Updated for January 2020

That's the main ones (the DDP and the forum games) I play anyhow.

• Like 5

There's also the Rotten Dead Pool, in which you pick ten people from those listed on their website. It's US based, which can make it frustrating for us Europeans as it often omits prominent European personalities. They claim to be open to suggestions, but I've never had any luck with that.

You can start your dead pool game any time as a new game starts every month, and it runs for a year.

You can also make changes to your team any time during the first month of play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly the Rotten Dead Pool seems to be no more.

Edited by Toast
Update
  • Like 1

SC

No, but the game does start afresh on January 1st, so thoughts do move towards the 2016 team.

DDP - 20 names (plus 3 subs in case any die before 1st January), no changes throughout the year, picks need to have a mention as having died on one of about 20 obit sources. From loose memory, the American stars who don't get obits here tend to struggle to get them in the US too, but that's not a fast rule.

Deathrace - 20 names, if a pick dies on January 1st its 365 points, January 2nd 364 etc etc. First team to 2016 next year wins. MPFC runs it, and likes a swift fast winner, so will accept nearly any obit known to man, even a mention in passing in the horoscope section of an US newspaper. As reigning champion (somehow), I picked up points from the translation of a French parish newsletter. No changes as the game is expected to end ASAP.

Hares Pool - Deathray's game (in which you pick 25 celebs), much like the Deathrace but reverse. So you want to pick lingerers who might snuff it in December 2016.

Death by Years - Shauns game, you play this.

Hartlepool Deadlypool - Haven't a bloody clue. I just pick ten famous names each year and hope for the best!

Inverse Deadpool - Formerly run by Spade, it starts in mid-January when the Deathlist 50 and the Drop 40 (most popular picks on 2016's Derby Dead Pool) are known. You pick the 25 people on each you think will definitely not die, and were stupid picks. Then if they die, you lose points. The person with 0, or the closes to a positive score, wins.

You should repost this in HowTo this is gold! Much thanks!

SC

SC

No, but the game does start afresh on January 1st, so thoughts do move towards the 2016 team.

Deathrace - 20 names, if a pick dies on January 1st its 365 points, January 2nd 364 etc etc. First team to 2016 next year wins. MPFC runs it, and likes a swift fast winner, so will accept nearly any obit known to man, even a mention in passing in the horoscope section of an US newspaper. As reigning champion (somehow), I picked up points from the translation of a French parish newsletter. No changes as the game is expected to end ASAP.

Hares Pool - Deathray's game (in which you pick 25 celebs), much like the Deathrace but reverse. So you want to pick lingerers who might snuff it in December 2016.

Death by Years - Shauns game, you play this.

Hartlepool Deadlypool - Haven't a bloody clue. I just pick ten famous names each year and hope for the best!

Inverse Deadpool - Formerly run by Spade, it starts in mid-January when the Deathlist 50 and the Drop 40 (most popular picks on 2016's Derby Dead Pool) are known. You pick the 25 people on each you think will definitely not die, and were stupid picks. Then if they die, you lose points. The person with 0, or the closes to a positive score, wins.

You should repost this in HowTo this is gold! Much thanks!

SC

Actually it's worth a pinned thread of its own, IMO. Details of new games can be added as and when, and we would have them all together as a useful reference point.

Edited by Magere Hein
Done

Thanks all! True enough sometimes the rules are (basically) the first post or two, sometimes not so much, and then some games get lost onto page two etc etc. Super to see them in one location, certainly easier to give it a go.
The question arose in my head simply thinking 'well why wouldn't I have the same list for every game?' And figuring there were logical reasons why.

Again, gracias.
SC

Edited by Magere Hein
Two posts moved from topic "The Deathlist Howto"

Rules and scoring for the Hartlepool Deadlypool

Points are scored according to the following highly complex scoring system:

Competitors are awarded points according to the order in which their candidates die.
The starting positions are as follows:

• Candidate 1: 50 points

• Candidate 2: 45 points

• Candidate 3: 40 points

• Candidate 4: 35 points

• Candidate 5: 30 points

• Candidate 6: 25 points

• Candidate 7: 20 points

• Candidate 8: 15 points

• Candidate 9: 10 points

• Candidate 10: 5 points

When the first candidate dies, points will be awarded as above, and the remaining potential scores will slide up or down one position. If candidate 1 dies first, the team gets 50 points and the points below all increase by 5, so candidate 2 will get 50 points if he or she is the next to go.
If a celebrity departs further down the list before the ones above are gone, the scores above are reduced by 5, causing the highest remaining score on the list to disappear. Those below will increase by 5 as before.
This will often cause two celebrities to have the same number of points next to their names, but the order in which they die will still influence subsequent scores.
The Bonus System:

Candidate not picked by any other competitor +2
Candidate under 18 years old -2
25th or less in line to the throne of Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden or Denmark +2
Been on Celebrity Squares (or Hollywood Squares)+3
Death of candidate in spite of extremely high improbability or unlikeliness of same. +5
US Baseball or Basketball player -3
Former or present UK Prime Minister +3
Drummer +2
Incumbent or recent US president +3
Guilty (in Notapotato's opinion) of crimes against humanity +3
Both of the above +6
Has played in a pantomime+2
Has performed Morris dancing +3
Found dead in a Swimming Pool +3
Died in a farming or gardening accident +2
Death worthy of a Darwin Award +2
Murder, Suicide, Lightning +2
Dies on Notapotato's birthday (16th of May) +2
Death by Fire +2
Death by Water +2
Death by Bongo +6

The bonus is calculated according to the following simple formula:
bonus x (score gained from death divided by 5)

Multiple bonuses multiply so a bonus of 3 and a bonus of 2 give together a bonus of 6. This makes negative bonuses extremely unattractive. This is also the reason why some bonuses have been increased this year, because 2*2 is the same as 2+2.

So a bonus of 2 on a score of 40 gives you 2*(40/5)=16

Additionally there will be a bonus of 50 points for coming in in 13th place in the Hartlepool Deadlypool. Unless there are only 13 or fewer entries. then there won't be.
Nothing could be simpler.
Oh yes, and there's an extra bonus of unspecified size payable on the first hit of the team which has the most interesting and unusual selection of celebrities.

1. Dead means dead. No longer living:

A bit like William Holden who having just been fished out of Gloria Swanson's swimming pool, died drunk and impoverished a mere 31 years later.
Eligible for a death certificate. (A Munchkin is optional but may get a bonus)

2. For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final.

3. Only human beings may be submitted as candidates. Animals may take part in the deathpool, but may be ridiculed for doing so, and may not get any points. Unless they are cats with a long history of doing deathpools. Team names which sound like an animal such as "Donkey from Hell" or "Dead as a Parrot" are allowed, I suppose, but may be ridiculed.

3a. Strictly only one team per participant. The submission of teams in the name of domestic animals in an attempt to circumvent this rule is doomed to failure. And ridicule.

4. If a participant dies during the competition, unlike in some deadpools he doesn't win the competition automatically. He may, however get awarded a few extra points by way of consolation. And next year a bonus will be named after you, perhaps. If you do die during the course of the year, do drop us a line and let us know where you went wrong so others can avoid making the same mistake.

4a. For legal reasons we are unable to actively encourage participants to murder or otherwise accelerate the deaths of their chosen celebrities. There is however no penalty in the Hartlepool Deadlypool for doing so. Your Procurator Fiscal or local alternative may see this differently though, so we reccommend asking beforehand.

5. Anyone selecting tender-aged sufferers of terminal diseases or anyone under sentence of death or highly likely to be sentenced to death at the start of the year will be summarily ridiculed and very likely penalised in an arbitrary and unpleasant way should their candidates actually die or be killed.

5a. And you won't be getting the extra bonus points for original and unusual picks if you don't come up with something a bit more original or unusual.

All the above subject to corrections and addenda from Notapotato and Rotten Ali.

• Like 3

I remember a chat with NAP in which we discussed the rules. I suggested the Morris dancing bonus. Has it ever been awarded?

• Like 1

I remember a chat with NAP in which we discussed the rules. I suggested the Morris dancing bonus. Has it ever been awarded?

I don't think so. I do remember some discussion as to whether John Inman had dressed up a Morris dancer in Are You Bing Served but I don't think we ever found proof.

There was the politico I think that died in the second half of last year that had 'been big' in the old dancing. I saw it in his obit, then when someone had a moan about it in here.

The Found dead in a Swimming Pool bonus was born in the same chat, in honour of Wim Duisenberg, who was just that half a year earlier. ISTR that one has been awarded.

• Like 1

Sure we gave points out on the Are You Being Served Morris Dancing scene for Frank Thornton's death.

Sure we gave points out on the Are You Being Served Morris Dancing scene for Frank Thornton's death.

Yes, I was just going to check back on that. I think after due consideration it was allowed as being close enough.

Yes, I was just going to check back on that. I think after due consideration it was allowed as being close enough.

Indeed.

As someone who joined the Deathlist properly in 2015 (ostensibly to enter Biblio's By-Election Bingo), having been a casual observer for some years previously, I had neither the time nor the confidence to 1) Find out the rules of all these dead pools and 2) Decide on a list of names to enter into any of them. Having them all in one place should be far more straightforward so I thank Sir Creep for the suggestion and the others for explaining, most notably msc. I shall endeavour to do better and enter at least a few of them in 2017.

One question that occurs: do the Shadow Lists count towards anything or are they just to allow us to feel smug if we do better than the committee?

Also on a frivolous and totally trivial note, what does DDP stand for? (At a guess the DP is Dead Pool...)

• Like 1

As someone who joined the Deathlist properly in 2015 (ostensibly to enter Biblio's By-Election Bingo), having been a casual observer for some years previously, I had neither the time nor the confidence to 1) Find out the rules of all these dead pools and 2) Decide on a list of names to enter into any of them. Having them all in one place should be far more straightforward so I thank Sir Creep for the suggestion and the others for explaining, most notably msc. I shall endeavour to do better and enter at least a few of them in 2017.

One question that occurs: do the Shadow Lists count towards anything or are they just to allow us to feel smug if we do better than the committee?

Also on a frivolous and totally trivial note, what does DDP stand for? (At a guess the DP is Dead Pool...)

My shadow list I'm using in Shaun's game, but that's rare. Basically shadow lists are our 'if WE were the committee...' Selections. I think lol.

SC

The other D means Derby, as prominently displayed on the website.

• Like 1

The other D means Derby, as prominently displayed on the website.

Fair enough. In my defence, it was late when I sent that and I was keeping half an eye on what the Americans call 'Football'.

Edit: Jan 2 2020

So attempted to make the rules even clearer, remove some of the old leniencies that are surplus to requirements and more concise (the original version was written by a rant teenager after all....... no changes in implementation..... this is for obvious transitional reasons.....

Hares Death Pool 

The Rules (Last updated 2 Jan 2019) 

1) Your Team

1. All teams must contain 25 people with some claim to fame (See FFBI section) you expect to die, and a nominated joker amonst the main 25. A maximum 5 subs are permitted for any picks who die before the starting line. (These substitutes will be promoted in order if required)
  2. All picks must be human beings aged over 18 on January 1st of the game year..
  3. Death row prisoners only score if they die of other causes, those still on trial will still score points if sentenced to execution after 0000 on January 1st.
  4. Entries must be posted in the annual Hares Death Pool thread or PMed to the game runner. (From 2020 onwards teams posted in the Deathrace thread, delivered by status update or sent by carrier pigeon will be routinely ignored.)
  5. The competition automatically opens for entries at 0001 on the 1st December and closes at 2359 on December 31st.
  6. Substitutes will be automatically promoted if deaths become known about on January 1st or later from the previous years
      1. Note: in light of the automatic promotion of subs the host sees no reason to include the January 1st leeway for replacement. However in the unlikely case a player uses all 5 substitutes on picks who died before January 1st a special dispensation will be permitted allowing them add picks up until 2359 January 1st to get them back 25 names up until 2359 on January 1st . If someone has not provided 5 substitutes they will not be entitled to this dispensation as it's their own fault they're short.....
  7. Late entries are not permitted. Hosts have long come to the conclusion there is no reason for exceptions now the deadline is 2359 rather than 1600.......
  8. Entries submitted on the 31st December could suffer abuse from a stressed host via PM response. (It's something of a tradition, but kinder hosts are not compelled to continue it)
  9. For teams submitted up until midday on the 31st December every effort will be made to clarify who your picks are should their be confusion. Hare's has always been incredibly lenient on this front but we recommend you include good old bracket tradition - (i.e cancer nobody but she's a local celebrity who fundraised for dying cats before she got diagnosed, covered by the Buttfucknowhere Gazette....) or (geriatric actor). 
  10. For teams submitted after midday on the 31st December you'll just get the first name that comes up on a cursory google search if you've not clarified who they are. The host may add cancer/brain tumour/ill to that search if they are feeling nice (see Rule 9 - unlikely)....

2) Obituary Rules

1. Celebrities qualify if they achieve an obituary or article about their death in a local, national or even specialist newspaper/website*.
    1. The aforementioned article does not need to specifically relate to their death, instead just mention it and date it*. or website/magazine/paper. If in doubt cite your death note for approval. There is absolutely no requirement for obits to be in the English language, however translations should be provided if they are not.
  2. The obit may be published in any language but entrants should give the host a translation if it is not in English.
    1. Note: (It's become a tradition for foreign dead pool players to submit local hero teams of DDP useless picks to the Hares on account of this and long may that continue!) 
  3. The * on specialist websites refers to the following: paid for obituary sites are not specialist websites and will be not used to clarify, the same applies to death notice sections of otherwise acceptable sources. The exception to this rule is if these sites have a celebrities death page - should the picks death notice/paid for obituary feature on their celebrity deaths page/feed the points will be awarded. Note: Wording of this rule has been slightly tightened in this update compared to the old rules but enforcement of it remains the same. 
  4. Social media posts, personal blogs etc do not count. 
  5. The cut off period for obituaries has always informally been 2359 on the 7th January the year after the competition ends. (death date must be recorded as 31st December at the latest) - just popping this in here to solidify that rule going forward...

3) Scoring Rules

1. For the purposes of determining the date of death of a celebrity the information to hand will be used to determine the points allocated to the competitors who chose the person. In the event that an exact date is available
    1. For the avoidance of doubt journalistic nuisance phrases 'on Wednesday, or last night/yesterday' will count as dates of death, with the date being determined by the tedious process of working it out - ) , full points will be awarded.
    2. In the event that only the month of death is in the obituary, points will be awarded to the first date of the month (in September) that has been given ('the Leah Bracknell' rule) if a date is subsequently given in press before the closure of the competition window the remaining points will be added to the total.
    3. In the very unfortunate event that only the year of death is provided in the qualifying obituary the poor bastard who picked them will be awarded points to the first day of the year that is given (which the savvy among you will have worked out is 0 points). 
  2. The overall points system is incredibly simple:
    1. 1 Point for each day of the year that passes before your celebs death (if they die on the 10th of January you are awarded 9 points for example) up until the games close at midnight on the 31st December.
    2. Pick 1 of your celebrities as a joker to double the points for that pick upon their death. (i.e if they die on the 9th January you'll get 16 points). Jokers are calculated before the 250 point bonus, meaning are 31st December joker will score 978 in a normal year and 980 in a leaper year. 
    3. 250 point bonus if one of your "celebrities" dies on 31st December in that game year (i.e a 31st death will score 614 points in a normal year or 615 points in a leap year rather than the 364 or 365 points it would normally accrue)
    4. In the impressive event of all 25 of your team dying you will receive a 500 point bonus

4) The Don't Be A Cunt Rules

1. Blatant plagiarism of another persons team, in the eye of the game runner, is punishable by expulsion and a 5 year ban on entering the competition.
  2. Keeping alive another persons pick against the picks will to benefit in this game is also against the rules.
  3. Murdering your chosen "celebrities" is both against the rules and illegal regardless of willing participation. (not to mention gives us a bad name)
  4. If assisted euthanasia becomes legal in the future, contestants in this dead pool are forbidden from encouraging/discouraging/or actively taking part in their or another contestants picks decision regarding this or being an active participant in their euthanasia. This rules apply to assisted euthanasia in other countries of picks.
  5. Similarly encouraging picks to commit suicide is prohibited.

5) The FFBI Rules

1. Celebrities are disqualified if the game runner determines them to be famous for being ill. This rule has been significantly tightened in recent years. And now bans picks who are:
    1. Famous due to impending death (hit by a car, stabbed etc etc you get the idea)
    2. Famous due to illness, with not even a minor fame to claim of their own making resulting from that illness (mother with 6 months to live, man with rare genetic disorder)
      1. An awareness and activism exception exists (see the filter)
  2. If your unsure whether you're pick qualifies for the Hares Death Pool your in look; they're subject to a rigorous FFBI filter that you can use to check them before submitting them - so there's really new excuse.
  3. From midday on the 31st December the host has the right to outright reject a team that appears to contain so many FFBI picks it would fall short of a 25 strong field once they are removed or allow it to run short without seeking clarification. 

The Filter (Quoted from the 2020 OP thread)

Opener: Are they a household name or famous name I recognise from here: Accepted. (Check if there's two people with same name and clarify if so)

Checking: Are they another name? Google them!

1. Are they notable for anything outside of illness at least locally*? Acceptable (usually involves finding articles on them)

2. Are they primarily notable for being ill at least locally? Go to Question 4/5.

3. Are they in no way notable at all? Ask the player who the fuck they are and evidence of fame, then returning to this. If still Yes then reject.

4. Have they done (off their own accord not kind strangers) any fundraisers or activism of note at least locally? Accept them.

5. Is they're illness only notable for the illness itself not their actions? Reject them, whilst providing opportunity to player to advocate for No. 4. 

*locally: within at least a area that has a local rag (major city, town, county, state, university with paper) (will they fucking obit, essentially?)

Thankfully only No. 3 got used in 2018 I'm putting the filter here for ease of use after it appears some people are holding back on FFBI's through not understanding these rules.

It's fair to say rejections are bloody rare. It's pretty much to stop people picking the absolute bottom of the barrel for their picks like people with a long term illness/terminal illness/disability who had no intention of sharing it with the world, but the local press are hounding or people who get stabbed and rushed to hospital on new years eve and folk who are in the press selling their death, but have done nothing beyond that of note. Virtually everyone qualifies under Opener, 1, or 4 we had a handful of then 1 or 4 this year, most of which were mis-spellings, and the one which wasn't won the Who the Feck Are They? award. I'd also be grateful if people didn't deliberately go after the Who the Feck Are They? award, as it's meant to be lighthearted fun and will be discontinued if people appear to submit substantially more fringe picks.

I'm pretty sure there's been rejections in the past but they're not logged and those PMs are long since deleted by moth me and YW at this point.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm sure I've made my opinion of this thread clear in the past (the rules are in the first post of my thread, and I'd expect anybody wishing to enter my game to read them in full I've been asked to put the rules in here following a recent overhaul. So for the incredibly lazy, short attention span newcomers in the future. Here's the March 2015 Hares Death Pool rulebook. Please read the first post of the Hares Death Pool thread anyway if you wish to enter a team, as further clarifications and amendments may be introduced in future without being added here - although I do not expect this to happen unless an actual issue arises.

It's not about laziness.

The various deadpool threads can disappear from view very quickly during quiet periods, and people can easily forget about them, or simply be unaware of them.

This is a pinned post which is easy to find for quick reference. It also works as an introduction for new players who may not know about the deadpool games. And a convenient way to compare them.

• Like 2

John Inman had dressed up a Morris dancer in Are You Bing Served

I didn't know Mr Crosby appeared in that.. was he staying at the 'Holiday Inn' next door to the Grace Brothers department store ?

I was thinking of the discussions about various deadpools and I came up with an idea for a Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool.

The organiser would select five categories and each player would then pick 5 names in each category. There would be three ways to win

1. All five names in one category

2. One name in each individual category

3. Three unique hits across all 25 names.

The prize for the winner would be to take over the next game and select their own categories (and run the next leg of the game).

This would one of those things that could be over in a flash like the Deathrace or could drag on for months but would be self renewing.

If this is something that people would do then I will post the first five categories for a start date of 01 June.

Do ask any questions.

• Like 2

Whilst I actually quite like the idea -

NO MORE GOD-FUCKING-DAMN DEAD POOLS FOR PETE'S SAKE, PRETTY FUCKING PLEASE WITH VIRGIN'S CHERRIES ON TOP!!!!!!

• Like 2