Sir Creep

DL Dead Pools

General Dead Pool question.

Do those of you who run calendar year Dead Pools research new names you receive in entries and use them to your advantage in other Dead Pools including the Derby Dead Pool?

Obviously all of us on here entering Dead Pools use the information on here in all sorts of formats plus other knowledge and internet searches but it seems like some pools are a mine of useful information once the teams get published on 01/01 but most of us don't get that information until too late. 

I know the solution but not sure I have the time :D

18 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Do those of you who run calendar year Dead Pools research new names you receive in entries and use them to your advantage in other Dead Pools including the Derby Dead Pool?

Obviously all of us on here entering Dead Pools use the information on here in all sorts of formats plus other knowledge and internet searches but it seems like some pools are a mine of useful information once the teams get published on 01/01 but most of us don't get that information until too late. 

Well, I don't in general.

Here I am with the Poker Tourney, with 6 months worth of guesses. But remember, I do publish all of the entries and the subs count for points. Had I been so minded, I could have run my finger down those entries with the survivors and also had 20 hits on the DDP. (And no doubt someone is going to do just that next year!). But it isn't my way on the DDP or most other pools. I generally need some sort of connection to the pick to feel anything about their death. Points and position don't matter that much, but it's exciting nonetheless, and my DDP main team has done rather well this year without having to resort to the Patrick Crynes or the like of this world..

I will say that my Windy City team (which isn't doing that great anyway) is just a select team from the Hare's Pool entries, but again, all the entries are posted up front. And it literally is sheer laziness on my part for the WC Pool to pick a selection of entries from another.

As most pools do publish all the entries, anyone could use the method of picking and choosing from the published names. So it's hardly a secret or particular benefit to the game runner. I can only think that perhaps you are thinking of unpublished subs or something like that? Or am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I can only think that perhaps you are thinking of unpublished subs or something like that? Or am I missing something?

Yes the published lists for pools already in place I agree with you and are what I meant about all the information we can all use on this site.

But for the Calendar Year pools then when people are sending in their entries to the Pool Runner towards end of December there will be a number of new names appearing, carefully discovered through internet searching or a lucky bit of information, that no-one has seen on here before - it's those new names that I'm really wondering about.  

• Like 1

DJ Casper came up as a top prospect in the 2017 TCD but I decided to look the other way. We were both rewarded, as he lived anyway! Some names floated during the Cup I am still keeping secret in case folk wanted to use them in the DDP (ie I've probably forgotten them!).

Name on a team you and the person know about only, and it's how you found out? Don't, imo. Name mentioned on this forum publicly at all? Fair game. You already knew about the person? Well, that's just life and nowt stopping you doing what you were doing.

S'all about trust imo. Maryport has seen my DDP team in advance (or most of it) about 7 years running now thanks to the Deathrace, and has never "nicked" a single pick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Grim Up North said:

Yes the published lists for pools already in place I agree with you and are what I meant about all the information we can all use on this site.

But for the Calendar Year pools then when people are sending in their entries to the Pool Runner towards end of December there will be a number of new names appearing, carefully discovered through internet searching or a lucky bit of information, that no-one has seen on here before - it's those new names that I'm really wondering about.  

Ah, I'm not involved in that then as a runner. When I did the Hare's Pool, gathering the entries for 2018 during the late part of 2017, you may remember I post an (albeit concealed) entry before the pool starts and one other person gets to see my team. As for then going on to use that info in other pools which also may be about to start, I didn't. I have my own lists which are sifted and sorted, other people's picks are a matter for them. Plus I generally submit my DDP team quite early as well, round about Christmas. I think I did point out in the Hare's Pool this year that Book had picked one of my DDP picks (which I had already submitted to Spade Cooley), and lo and behold Anne V Coates was a unique for me on the DDP and a unique for Book on the Hare's.

What about the name I had that I wanted to keep as secret as possible? I kept Masekela off every other list. Still didn't get a unique, and I could have had hits on other pools, but he was my chosen one for the DDP in the vain hope I might have got away with it.

I'm sure playas who have those special picks for the DDP tend not to enter them in other pools which are about to start as well. Because I wouldn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

If I am to run the Death By Numbers pool I probably won't even read the submission emails until the new year.

• Like 2

I think it would be human nature to at least look up someone if you got a 'who?' name being speculated upon.  I wouldn't blame a person for doing so.  But presumably we are talking many many names in say 15+ entries so probably not the time to investigate much.  

New here. Not sure if this is right thread but exactly how many competitions are there for 2019?

Just now, The Old Crem said:

New here. Not sure if this is right thread but exactly how many competitions are there for 2019?

A lot. Off the top of my head we have:

• Derby Dead Pool
  • Alt Obits Deadpool
  • The Hare's Dead Pool
  • The Hartlepool Deadlypool
  • Death by Numbers
  • Deathrace
  • DL Prediction Game
  • Inverse
  • Jokers'
  • Five4Three2One
  • ABC
  • DL Poker Tournament
  • Windy City
  • Maryport's Midsummer Madness
  • Advent Avalanche

Have a look around. Also, welcome!

3 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

A lot. Off the top of my head we have:

• Derby Dead Pool
  • Alt Obits Deadpool
  • The Hare's Dead Pool
  • The Hartlepool Deadlypool
  • Death by Numbers
  • Deathrace
  • DL Prediction Game
  • Inverse
  • Jokers'
  • Five4Three2One
  • ABC
  • DL Poker Tournament
  • Windy City
  • Maryport's Midsummer Madness
  • Advent Avalanche

Have a look around. Also, welcome!

Thank you. I have already started work on my first lists.

Although it’s not technically a competition, there’s also the Crowdsource List as well, in which you submit anywhere from 20 to 50 names you want to appear on that list in order to make the utterly unofficial 2019 Crowdsource list. The only competition here is to see if your names makes it to the top 50. Then you can also make a shadowlist, which is basically the list where you can test personally if you’re better than the committee. No competition here, it’s just a fun measuring stick. Oh, and welcome to the forums The Old Crem. :) 

• Like 2

On 23/11/2018 at 14:52, Grim Up North said:

On 23/11/2018 at 18:40, Sir Creep said:

I think it would be human nature to at least look up someone if you got a 'who?' name being speculated upon.  I wouldn't blame a person for doing so.  But presumably we are talking many many names in say 15+ entries so probably not the time to investigate much.  

30 people entered the Hares Death Pool last year. I wasn't running it last year but I wouldn't be suprised if 20+ of them came in on the 31st December. @YoungWillz? (Long since cleared my inbox since I last ran it) 

We are too busy logging to steal your picks even if we wanted too, which we don't. I generally agree with the sentiments expressed above, if the name has been mentioned on the forum and their on every entry they might get slightly bumped up my longlist but they were on it anyway. But I submit my teams for the DDP and most other pools before I recieve the majority of pool entries.

And serving footballer managers aren't much use to anyone in deadpools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Although it’s not technically a competition, there’s also the Crowdsource List as well, in which you submit anywhere from 20 to 50 names you want to appear on that list in order to make the utterly unofficial 2019 Crowdsource list. The only competition here is to see if your names makes it to the top 50. Then you can also make a shadowlist, which is basically the list where you can test personally if you’re better than the committee. No competition here, it’s just a fun measuring stick. Oh, and welcome to the forums The Old Crem. :) 

Or you can just submit the first 50 names you think of to see if anyone else has thought of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

30 people entered the Hares Death Pool last year. I wasn't running it last year but I wouldn't be suprised if 20+ of them came in on the 31st December. @YoungWillz? (Long since cleared my inbox since I last ran it) 

Wasn't that many as I recall. I had to clear my inbox for the Poker entries in June. So, I dunno, I'd guess at around 5 came in in the last 24 hours for submission.

Entrants on here are generally quite good, especially when they might get someone ruled out as inadmissible - I recall a convo with gcreptile on that, so the entrants after that (Nos 26 - 30) were running close to the wire.

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wasn't that many as I recall. I had to clear my inbox for the Poker entries in June. So, I dunno, I'd guess at around 5 came in in the last 24 hours for submission.

Entrants on here are generally quite good, especially when they might get someone ruled out as inadmissible - I recall a convo with gcreptile on that, so the entrants after that (Nos 26 - 30) were running close to the wire.

Fair enough, must be remembering it as more last minute entries than there actually was or people have got better the past few years. Probably a bit of both.

Either way we're still too busy with real life and preparing the deadpool masterlists to steal picks. And to be honest, anybody has the ability to start a deadpool if they're able to come up with half decent ideas (or you can just borrow one when one of the regular hosts has a meltdown :D )so it's not an unfair advantage in anyway even if someone was; and it seems from the replies above we all operate from the same code of common decency and respect. Plus Hares is a bit different in that there's many opportunities to do well with risking picks you'd think twice about putting on a DDP team anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted here to not affect the thread order but it must be a strange year when the 2018 Advent Avalanche Dead Pool is the 24th most recent Dead Pool with a post on 3rd December - I thought it had been deleted for a second.

I think I have entered all but one but which competitions are starting on January 1st/ some other date in January?

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think I have entered all but one but which competitions are starting on January 1st/ some other date in January?

Sign up for the Deathlist Cup starts on January 3rd. The draw for Round 1 is on 20th January, and team are sent in from 20th to 31st, with Round 1 starting as soon as February begins, basically.

Anyone who hasn't entered the Cup before is more than welcome to join in the fun.

EDIT - As are anyone who got banned from it once if they so wish...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Also, the Inverse Pool. Pick those who will live for the whole of 2019.

Starts in January, you select 25 names from 50 most popular picks in the DDP.

• Like 1

So with regards to the thread of discussion above about when teams come in for deadpool runners and whether that could provide an unfair advantage in dead pools for anyone unethical enough to skim picks from the teams that come in (although I explained in detail why I'd view that as a nonsense argument and further more wouldn't have problem with someone who ran another pool doing so but we all seem to operate on the same code of general common decency). I've only logged PMed teams because the public ones are available for anyone to merrily skim so there's no potential unfair advantage in that.

With 90 minutes to go until close of play of course there's room for movement - I'll update if that happens here's the stats:

PM Entries to The Hares Death Pool by Date

PMed Teams

16th December: 2 teams
    22nd December: 1 team
    26th December: 1 team
    27th December: 6 team
    28th December: 2 team
    29th December  4 teams
    30th December: 3 teams
    31st December: 4 teams

The first thing of note is half (21 of 42) of this years entries have come solely by PM, with the other half coming by thread entry (which I haven't tracked dates for). 

There seems to be two peaks - 27th Dcembr and the 29th-31st.  

I'll let you decide whether a less scrupulous game runner than the ones who currently run pools would be able to syphon names for their DDP teams. And more to the point, if you can be arsed to run a pool next year :P

Don't get too excited, but tomorrow I will open up The 2019 Deathlist Cup thread! And entries will be welcome from the opening of the thread until 20th January as usual.

• Like 5

I have seen it mentioned on here but can't find a full definition - what is the Raymond Hewlett rule. As far as I can tell he is still alive so is it something to do false obit's?

59 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I have seen it mentioned on here but can't find a full definition - what is the Raymond Hewlett rule. As far as I can tell he is still alive so is it something to do false obit's?

Raymond Hewlett is not alive. The rule itself revolves around his not-alivedness. It comes into play when it is discovered after a game starts that a person died before the start. Hewlett died of cancer in 2009 but folk chose him in 2010 in the belief that he was alive.

• Like 2

Thought it was about time the post on Page 1 got an update.....

Copied over the face-lifted rules across to it so it's up to date as of Jan 2020. :) 

• Like 1

On 31/12/2018 at 22:32, Kinnock said:

So with regards to the thread of discussion above about when teams come in for deadpool runners and whether that could provide an unfair advantage in dead pools for anyone unethical enough to skim picks from the teams that come in (although I explained in detail why I'd view that as a nonsense argument and further more wouldn't have problem with someone who ran another pool doing so but we all seem to operate on the same code of general common decency). I've only logged PMed teams because the public ones are available for anyone to merrily skim so there's no potential unfair advantage in that.

With 90 minutes to go until close of play of course there's room for movement - I'll update if that happens here's the stats:

PM Entries to The Hares Death Pool by Date

PMed Teams

16th December: 2 teams
    22nd December: 1 team
    26th December: 1 team
    27th December: 6 team
    28th December: 2 team
    29th December  4 teams
    30th December: 3 teams
    31st December: 4 teams

The first thing of note is half (21 of 42) of this years entries have come solely by PM, with the other half coming by thread entry (which I haven't tracked dates for). 

There seems to be two peaks - 27th Dcembr and the 29th-31st.  

I'll let you decide whether a less scrupulous game runner than the ones who currently run pools would be able to syphon names for their DDP teams. And more to the point, if you can be arsed to run a pool next year :P

Because I'm a sad cunt bored I thought I'd do this again this year...

(Hare's for those who don't know i run it, which everyone would be forgiven for including themselves in :P)

Entries

11 Dec (2 teams)

12 Dec (3 teams)

13 Dec (1 team)

14 Dec (2 teams)

23 Dec (1 team)

24 Dec (3 teams)

26 Dec (2 teams)

27 Dec (3 teams)

28 Dec (7 teams)

29 Dec (5 teams)

30 Dec (5 teams)

31 Dec (9 teams)

Of which PMed

11 Dec (2 teams)

12 Dec (2 teams)

13 Dec (1 team)

24 Dec (1 team)

26 Dec (1 team)

27 Dec (1 team)

28 Dec (1 team)

29 Dec (2 teams)

30 Dec (5 teams)

31 Dec (5 teams)

With the exception of two entries (one which came in by status update and one via the Deathrace thread but were permitted out of leniency) non-PM came in via the thread

My DDP teams went in on the 23rd before the busy period of entries started.