Sir Creep

DL Dead Pools

On 23/11/2018 at 14:52, Grim Up North said:

General Dead Pool question.

Do those of you who run calendar year Dead Pools research new names you receive in entries and use them to your advantage in other Dead Pools including the Derby Dead Pool?

Obviously all of us on here entering Dead Pools use the information on here in all sorts of formats plus other knowledge and internet searches but it seems like some pools are a mine of useful information once the teams get published on 01/01 but most of us don't get that information until too late. 

I know the solution but not sure I have the time :D

So, basically no because I'm so busy fielding the last minute entries (which most of them are) that I have my dead pool teams sketched out and more or less ready before I manage my dead pool. I do tweak my own teams at the end but only to cut the numbers to within the rules and eject the dead ones (Fanny Waterman and George Blake have both let me down this month). 

Put it this way, I've never won my own Deathrace, last year my working life got almost sane and I finally had time to reflect on my dead pool teams (the result of which is I've gone from fourth in the DDP of 2019 to hanging on for =46th in 2020 as we speak). For reasons I can't begin to fathom I seem to do well in the HPDP, but I was doing well there before I started my own dead pool and - in any case - I'm spammed with names who have a marginal grip on life and equally marginal grip on fame, great for Deathrace purposes but a nightmare if you're trying to predict the exact order in which they'll fall before the BBC come in with the nailed on q/o. I do occasionally look up names and/or send "wtf are they?" style messages back to entrants (got one this year where Googling the name threw up a couple of equally obscure candidates and absolutely no evidence either was ill). The biggest reaction I get trawling the incoming names is often the "ah shit!" moment when (as has happened this year) someone picks talent I was hoping would give me a unique scoring opportunity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, basically no because I'm so busy fielding the last minute entries (which most of them are) that I have my dead pool teams sketched out and more or less ready before I manage my dead pool. I do tweak my own teams at the end but only to cut the numbers to within the rules and eject the dead ones (Fanny Waterman and George Blake have both let me down this month). 

Put it this way, I've never won my own Deathrace, last year my working life got almost sane and I finally had time to reflect on my dead pool teams (the result of which is I've gone from fourth in the DDP of 2019 to hanging on for =46th in 2020 as we speak). For reasons I can't begin to fathom I seem to do well in the HPDP, but I was doing well there before I started my own dead pool and - in any case - I'm spammed with names who have a marginal grip on life and equally marginal grip on fame, great for Deathrace purposes but a nightmare if you're trying to predict the exact order in which they'll fall before the BBC come in with the nailed on q/o. I do occasionally look up names and/or send "wtf are they?" style messages back to entrants (got one this year where Googling the name threw up a couple of equally obscure candidates and absolutely no evidence either was ill). The biggest reaction I get trawling the incoming names is often the "ah shit!" moment when (as has happened this year) someone picks talent I was hoping would give me a unique scoring opportunity. 

I think Grim's learnt from bitter experience about this one now! ;)

On the contrary to the stealing, I remember you once asked me permission to use a pick you thought inspired from my Deathrace team for another pool as they were on my DDP team too, despite the fact they were on about a dozen other teams or so! :D (If memory serves, which it usually doesn't, it was Ronald Coase who went on to spite both of us by casually living into the next year and all!)

Putting the Cup team in first stopped temptation should it have arisen, but I did often find out about folk being gravely ill from them appearing on last minute Cup teams - Ray Wilkins for example.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

I think Grim's learnt from bitter experience about this one now! ;)

On the contrary to the stealing, I remember you once asked me permission to use a pick you thought inspired from my Deathrace team for another pool as they were on my DDP team too, despite the fact they were on about a dozen other teams or so! :D (If memory serves, which it usually doesn't, it was Ronald Coase who went on to spite both of us by casually living into the next year and all!)

Putting the Cup team in first stopped temptation should it have arisen, but I did often find out about folk being gravely ill from them appearing on last minute Cup teams - Ray Wilkins for example.

That's some feat of memory but I think you're right. Must have been eight years back.

Coase - stubborn twat - finally pegged out 2 Sept 2013, he's just returned to gloat at the pair of us one more time: 

ronald_coase1024_0%20(1)2.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

That's some feat of memory but I think you're right. Must have been eight years back.

Coase - stubborn twat - finally pegged out 2 Sept 2013, he's just returned to gloat at the pair of us one more time: 

ronald_coase1024_0%20(1)2.jpg

I can remember bits and bobs from my first year deadpooling, but couldn't tell you without looking who I picked either year I actually won the Deathrace now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

I can remember bits and bobs from my first year deadpooling, but couldn't tell you without looking who I picked either year I actually won the Deathrace now!

Neither could they - which is why you won!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm.

My last idea never got off the ground (principally because I wasn't going to be arsed with much pooling this year).

Now, the Poker Season is only a 6 month game, and I feel up to a 12 month game as well.

What I thought of having was a game of Battleship. Essentially there would be a 5x10 grid with the names of the Deathlist Committee selections in it. Players would place their ships (here's the crucial bit) in December, before the Committee have selected the order and who they were picking - so that would get the heart racing! You would have the usual ships and number of hits to sink your ships before the year was out. As it would be based on the Deathlist, no obit qualifications would be needed - just the punter's death. No diagonals and no overlapping ships as per the normal game.

In the grid, A1 would be Deathlist pick number 1, A2, Deathlist 2, etc etc.

I've yet to think of a scoring system. Do you think there'd be any interest in such a game?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Does anyone have a list of all the pools that have 31st December 2021  as a entry deadline. I am getting really confessed by how many I can enter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Does anyone have a list of all the pools that have 31st December 2021  as a entry deadline. I am getting really confessed by how many I can enter?

confess.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Such a list might be useful, but changes every year.

I'd just look at the current active threads. 

And just one exception: Deathrace deadline is 30th Decembre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

There's a pinned thread that may help.  May not be right up to date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

There's a pinned thread that may help.  May not be right up to date.

It is in fact this thread and I feel Post 2 on Page 1 is still relatively helpful for everyone. It covers the main ones - there are of course lots of other ones popping up here and there.

In short - 

Deathrace - 30th. midnight

Alt Obits - 31st, time I forget

DDP, DbN, Hares - all 31st.

Hartlepool - 31st, I think?

• Like 3

Some wacky deathpooling ideas...

Odd Couple deathpool: You get assigned to another participant as teammate. You come up with half the team each and are not allowed to communicate with each other. Admin temporarily disables PMs between you. Two players in the top 10 of the last DDP cannot be drawn with each other. Think you have excellent submissions? Watch it all be undone by your teammate's awful picks.

Charity deathpool: Each player submits a small number of celebrities. But you don't get to have them on your team, they'll be sent to random players. In turn, you will get others' picks. To prevent purposely "donating" really bad picks, you get point reduction if they don't die or summat.

The I-hate-the-host-of-this-game-and-wish-they-were-dead game: You don't get to decide which celebs will be on your team. The host does, and completely arbitrarily at that. Bribing the host is disallowed, but it's probably to your benefit if you are on good terms with him/her.

Peter Falk deathpool: You make a list of 100 names and send it to the host. One day when you least expect it (could be months later), the host will come to your house and take you directly to a classroom. There, you will be asked to write down as many of the 100 names as you can remember. Only those who you remembered correctly will be given points for if they die. Staring at the blank paper for minutes, you will no doubt start to wonder if you actually have early-stage dementia. Note: This game might work best locally with your mates.

The zoopool: The host, preferrably a zookeeper, will show pictures of every single animal there is at a particular zoo. Your job is to pick 20 of them who you think will die within the next year. The winner gets a guided tour around the zoo, as well as large posters of each of their hits to hang on their bedroom wall.

The reincarnation game: Your picks dying is not enough. You ONLY score if you can prove without a doubt that they are back among the living in another form.

:champagne:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Predictor said:

Odd Couple deathpool: You get assigned to another participant as a teammate. You come up with half the team each, and are not allowed to communicate with each other. Admin temporarily disables PMs between you. Two players in the top 10 of the last DDP cannot be drawn with each other. Think you have excellent submissions? Watch it all be undone by your teammate's awful picks.

Charity deathpool: Each player submits a small number of celebrities. But you don't get to have them on your team, it'll be sent to another random player. In turn, you will get others' picks. To prevent purposely "donating" really bad picks, you get point reduction if they don't die or summat.

The I-hate-the-host-of-this-game-and-wish-they-were-dead game: You don't get to decide which celebs will be on your team. The host does, and completely arbitrarily at that. Bribing the host is disallowed, but it's probably to your benefit if you are on good terms with him/her.

No idea if this was the intention, but these three are actually pretty good ideas :D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Predictor said:

This has got legs! 

I'd so bloody host this.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

This has got legs! 

I'd so bloody host this.

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

No idea if this was the intention, but these three are actually pretty good ideas :D

Really? Maybe I should start drinking new year's champagne more often then. Feel free to develope something with these ideas. They're public domain. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone create a list of all the dead pools that have new year deadlines. I’ve lost track completely of what need to enter. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Can someone create a list of all the dead pools that have new year deadlines. I’ve lost track completely of what need to enter. 

Scavenger Hunt V is one which unusually starts in the New Year 

20/20 + 3 will start on 1st Jan and you can only enter then. I will put a post up in a couple of days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Scavenger Hunt V is one which unusually starts in the New Year 

20/20 + 3 will start on 1st Jan and you can only enter then. I will put a post up in a couple of days

Have I missed any of which end on New Year Eve

DDP
Centrenian

By Numbers

Hartlepool 

Hares

crowdsourced  

Prediction 

Deathrace

electoral 

Birth pool

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

DDP
Centrenian

By Numbers

Hartlepool 

Hares

crowdsourced  

Prediction 

Deathrace

electoral 

Birth pool

Scavenger Hunt V needs to be added to that list for this year but if you are using it as a guide for future years then  not because it is a moveable feast

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

DDP
Centrenian

By Numbers

Hartlepool 

Hares

crowdsourced  

Prediction 

Deathrace

electoral 

Birth pool

AltObits if you play that one - it's an off-forum pool.

• Like 1

I'm only going to say out loud what I've been thinking for a while.

There's been an explosion of running threads - someone dies and the whole damn thing starts again. Now, I'm not being a killjoy, not am I advocating they stop or anything like that. That's up to you guys.

Just pointing out however that when folk like me are searching for an appropriate thread to post an actual death, we are having to wade through hundreds of posts on deadpool games. I'm familiar with the Forum, but for those who are not, that can be tiresome. Also, I personally like to seek out a prior post about a deceased to credit someone who earlier posted about them.

It's out of hand imo. Fixed term pools are more challenging, they don't rely on deathbed/hospice notifications, etc etc. Of course, carry on with these "easier" games if you wish, just appreciate how frustrating this is becoming for other Forum users.

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Is this a comprehensive list of Pools/other competitions starting 31/12/23 or 01/01/24. 

Derby Dead Pool

Deathrace

Centenarians 

Hares

Crowdsourced 

Death By Numbers

Pumping them out of the Birthing Pool

Electoral 

Prediction Game

Alt

Anything else I have missed, 

Will there be a Shadow Deathlist 2024 competition and also will there be a 20/20+4?

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Nobel Prize?

Deadline end of January I think. 

• Like 2