Sign in to follow this  
BrunoBrimley

Stranger Than Death

Born and reared in Stapleton, he attended Curtis High School.

The joint funeral service will be tomorrow at 10 a.m. in the Casey-McCallum-Rice South Shore Funeral Home, Great Kills. Arrangements include cremation.

I'm guessing the strange part was one dying after the other (unless they were in a car crash). However two things sprang to my attention:

Firstly the poor chap was "reared" as in how you bring up animals - I am not implying any another possible connitation here. Secondly is that really the address of the funeral home, great kills?

• Like 1

Born and reared in Stapleton, he attended Curtis High School.

The joint funeral service will be tomorrow at 10 a.m. in the Casey-McCallum-Rice South Shore Funeral Home, Great Kills. Arrangements include cremation.

I'm guessing the strange part was one dying after the other (unless they were in a car crash). However two things sprang to my attention:

Firstly the poor chap was "reared" as in how you bring up animals - I am not implying any another possible connitation here. Secondly is that really the address of the funeral home, great kills?

Many folks here in the U.S. refer to a child being raised as being reared.....not sure why.

Okay moving on to the Kills......there is also a Fresh Kills. And of course the Kill Van Kull (a river seperating Staten Island from the state of New Jersey)and the Arthur Kill (another river which seperates S.I. from New Jersey) and so on and so forth. From what I recall the word Kill is a Dutch origin word related to water or rivers or some such thing. Keep in mind the Dutch were among primary settlers of New York City which is where all of this is located.

Not sure what Spuyten Duyvil means

I always heard it meant "Spinning Devil."

Here's one that I think fits the theme of this thread. Last week, creator of the comic strips B.C. and The Wizard of Id Johnny Hart died of a heart attack at his work station, aged 76. This week, cartoonist Brant Parker, who co-created and drew The Wizard of Id has died at the age of 86.

Here's one that I think fits the theme of this thread. Last week, creator of the comic strips B.C. and The Wizard of Id Johnny Hart died of a heart attack at his work station, aged 76. This week, cartoonist Brant Parker, who co-created and drew The Wizard of Id has died at the age of 86.

Definitely fits in there Paulie.........and then we see the added oddity! Hart was 76 and Parker was 86...in reverse those numbers are 67 and 68 which makes them consecutive numbers :angry: and in the correct order too :)

Research finds widowed spouses can die of grief

Stewart Wilson, executive director of the charity Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland, said that losing someone was a "very underestimated" life experience. ;)

Not the same - but rather spooky.

Or not.

Not that big of a coincidence, but interesting if this is your thing. Canadian MP Hugh Hanrahan of the Edmonton-Strathcona electoral district died on May 19, 1999 of an acute stomach infection. Eight years later, on May 19, 2007, his predecessor Scott Thorkelson died suddenly of a heart attack at age 49.

Guess it's really just the dates.

Not that big of a coincidence, but interesting if this is your thing. Canadian MP Hugh Hanrahan of the Edmonton-Strathcona electoral district died on May 19, 1999 of an acute stomach infection. Eight years later, on May 19, 2007, his predecessor Scott Thorkelson died suddenly of a heart attack at age 49.

Guess it's really just the dates.

Bloody hell, I never realised eating dates was so risky...

Cheers,

BHB

My grandmother (the youngest sibling) and my aunt (the oldest sibling) died on the same day eight years apart. For what it's worth, anyway. :)

Wouldn't it be even more strange if there were no instances of this anywhere ever? The laws of chance would suggest that this type of happening should be a fairly regular occurrence. My four grandparents all died on different dates, and none of them died on their birthdays, or on the birthday of anyone else in my family. Strange, eh?

Here's another couple who died on the same day, but it wasn't old age (they were only 67 and 62) that killed them - one died of lung cancer and the other one suffered a brain haemorrhage a few hours later.

Here's another couple who died on the same day, but it wasn't old age (they were only 67 and 62) that killed them - one died of lung cancer and the other one suffered a brain hemorrhage a few hours later.

The laws of chance really rolls this situation into perspective. Maybe the other one didn't have a brain hemorrhage, the odds are so slim of that going down. It would be like dropping a quarter from the top of the Empire state building, and expecting it to land in the coffee cup you left sitting on the curb. It just isn't everyday.

Woman is born, gets engaged, gets married and dies on the same day, September 16.

Same day many years apart, of course. I wonder what the odds of this are, in the sense of, how many people choose to get married on their birthday? I suspect this might not be as out there as it seems (except for the dying part) as a wedding proposal makes for a good (or cheap, depending on your point of view I suppose) birthday present, then the sentimental think it would be great to get married on the birthday too (saves you from having to buy both anniversary and birthday presents). So I guess it hinges on how often it is as that people choose to get married on their birthdays.

• Like 1

The following is from the Wikipedia entry on Alberto Ascari - F1 legend and subject of a spooky death given the odd similarities to the death of his father:

His 1955 season started similarly, retiring twice more, the latter of which was a spectacular incident in Monaco where he crashed into a harbour after missing a chicane. Four days later, on May 26, he went to Monza to watch his friend Eugenio Castellotti test a Ferrari 750 Monza sports car, which they were to co-race in the Supercortemaggiore 1000kms race (having been given special dispensation by Lancia). Just before going home to have lunch with his wife Mietta, he decided to try a few laps with the Ferrari. In shirt sleeves, ordinary trousers and Castellotti’s helmet he set off. As he emerged from a fast curve on the third lap the car unaccountably skidded, turned on its nose and somersaulted twice. Thrown out on the track, Ascari suffered multiple injuries and died a few minutes later.

The crash occurred on the Curva di Vialone, one of the track's challenging high-speed corners. The corner where the accident happened, renamed in his honour, no longer exists, having been replaced with a chicane, the Variante Ascari.

Legend has it that Ascari was a very superstitious man and would always insist on using his distinct pale blue crash helmet. On the day he died, his helmet wasn’t available, so he borrowed Castellotti’s white one. The helmet was at the repair shop, having new chin strap fitted after the incident in Monte Carlo which saw Ascari's Lancia take a dip in the Monaco harbour.

The eerie similarities between the deaths of Alberto and his father still haunt his fans to this day. Alberto Ascari died on May 26, 1955, at the age of 36. Antonio Ascari was also 36 when he died, on July 26, 1925 (Alberto was only 4 days older). Both father and son had won 13 championship Grand Prix and drove car number 26. Both were killed four days after surviving serious accidents and on the 26th day of the month. Both had crashed fatally at the exit of fast but easy left-hand corners and both left behind a wife and two children. Fans from all across the globe mourned as Alberto Ascari was laid to rest next to the grave of his father in the Milan cemetery, to be forever remembered as one of the greatest racers of all times.

A distraught Mietta Ascari told Enzo Ferrari that were it not for their children she would gladly have joined her beloved Alberto in heaven.

Only strange happenings lately have been persons who have managed to die 3 times in one week----and not on consecutive days.

Welcome back to the strange world of Bruno Brimley!

Care to explain, BB, or do we have to work it out for ourselves?

Only strange happenings lately have been persons who have managed to die 3 times in one week----and not on consecutive days.

Welcome back to the strange world of Bruno Brimley!

Care to explain, BB, or do we have to work it out for ourselves?

Well of course you have to do the searching yourself. I give you the facts it's up to you or your minions to decipher how I gouged them up. (just check my usual sources----SILIVE.com.......)

Occasionally as opposed to not occasionally which means now and then as opposed to rarely seldom a death note will bhe struck which doesn't quite match with the usuall oddities. Take for instnace the strange case of Julia Drury. Julia died recently and it was a sad time indeed for the many who remmembered her and who had loved her. While reading the obit. I wondered if she lived in that lovely abode on St.Mark's Place. Well that would be okay even if she hadn't.

No dear readers what struck my odd chord was when reading the words about her. I have higlighted them in a color other than Sequoia Green.

Starting on Saturday March 1, 2008:::::::::::

Julia C. Drury, 84, of St. George, a lifelong Staten Islander and godmother of actor James Drury, died Thursday at home.

Born and raised in St. George, she graduated from St. Peter's High School and attended the former Notre Dame College, now St. John's University, Grymes Hill. Ms. Drury was a member of the college's first graduating class in 1935.

She began work shortly after college as an executive assistant for companies including Frank Lloyd Wright and AT&T. Later, she worked as an administrative assistant, retiring in 1982.

A parishioner of St. Peter's R.C. Church, West Brighton, Ms. Drury frequented the church often, sometimes attending two services a day.

In her leisure time, Ms. Drury could often be found either playing the piano and painting.

"She was the kindest, most caring soul that I've ever had the privilege to know," said her nephew, actor Peter Drury. Surviving Ms. Drury are various cousins, nieces, and nephews.

The funeral will be Monday from the Harmon Home For Funerals, West Brighton, with a mass at 10 a.m. in St. Peter's Church. Burial will follow in St. Peter's Cemetery, West Brighton.

The following idea on Sunday March 2,2008 she died again. Note the change in nephew Peter's occupation:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julia C. Drury, 84, of St. George, a lifelong Staten Islander and godmother and aunt of actor James Drury, died Thursday at home.

Born and raised in St. George, she graduated from St. Peter's High School and attended the former Notre Dame College, now St. John's University, Grymes Hill. Ms. Drury was a member of the college's first graduating class in 1935.

She began work shortly after college as an executive assistant for companies including Frank Lloyd Wright and AT&T. Later, she worked as an administrative assistant, retiring in 1982.

A parishioner of St. Peter's R.C. Church, West Brighton, Ms. Drury frequented the church often, sometimes attending two services a day.

In her leisure time, Ms. Drury could often be found either playing the piano and painting.

"She was the kindest, most caring soul that I've ever had the privilege to know," said her nephew, Peter Drury, an actuary. Ms. Drury enjoyed a close relationship with many cousins, nieces, and nephews, as well as with her sister-in-law, Agnes M. Drury.

Her late brother, Vincent K. Drury, served as county clerk in the 1930s.

The funeral will be Monday from the Harmon Home For Funerals, West Brighton, with a mass at 10 a.m. in St. Peter's Church. Burial will follow in St. Peter's Cemetery, West Brighton.

Actor, actuary. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Bruno, I love you dearly but that font has GOT to go.

A refuse collector is doing his rounds and notices one house in the street that doesn't have a wheelie-bin outside.

So he goes to the door and knocks. After a few minutes a young German man comes to the door.

"Where's your bin?", the refuse collector asks.

"I bin upstairs", the German man replies.

"No! Where's your bin?", he says.

"I bin upstairs havin' a excrement", the guy says.

"NO! WHERE'S YOUR wheelie-bin?", he continues.

The old man thinks for a minute then says:

"OK, you got me. I was really brutally killing and then chopping up a woman."

A refuse collector is doing his rounds and notices one house in the street that doesn't have a wheelie-bin outside.

So he goes to the door and knocks. After a few minutes a young German man comes to the door.

"Where's your bin?", the refuse collector asks.

"I bin upstairs", the German man replies.

"No! Where's your bin?", he says.

"I bin upstairs havin' a excrement", the guy says.

"NO! WHERE'S YOUR wheelie-bin?", he continues.

The old man thinks for a minute then says:

"OK, you got me. I was really brutally killing and then chopping up a woman."

I see...

Anyway, then there was the incident last month when I was in the local medical waste facility, also known to some as a hospital. I began dining on my afternoon repast when I glanced at the menu slip. It was for the victim in the room around the corner. The following afternooon she kicked off. Croaked! Bit the dust! I have to wonder if she got my meal and it was poisoned...

• Like 1