msc

The Crowdsourced Deathlist

I'm not sure if this would work, but no harm in trying. Every year now, the Deathlist unleashes its annual list of hopefuls upon the world. In the build up, this forum has a lot of posts from people promoting folk they'd like to go on the list. And then, once it is published, lots and lots of complaining about who is missing, who is on the list, and then talk of people who die during the year as "misses".

Which got me thinking: the forum should have its own Utterly Unofficial Shadowlist.

So I propose the Crowdsourced Deathlist. A list of fifty names chosen in the Deathlist spirit, in an attempt to put everyone's "money where their moaning is".

Rules

1. Please send 50 names you think should be on the 2016 Deathlist to me by PM. Order them from 1 to 50.

2. Your 1st choice will gain 50 points, 2nd 49, etc etc to 50th which will gain 1 point.

3. When the deadline passes, all of the points that an individual celebrity gain will be added together, and the top fifty celebrities with the most points overall will go on the Utterly Unofficial Forum List.

4. Feel free to add substitutes at the bottom of the list, which will only be counted if one of your fifty die before January 1st 2016. If for example your number one pick is such a smart one they die before January 1st, then I will give 50 points to your 2nd pick, and so on until 1 point is given to the first substitute.

5. Do try to make the picks as "Deathlisty" as possible. More Jimmy Carter and less Jimmy Messenger, if you know what I mean. Someone likely to score an obit with one of the major English language news outlets.

6. The deadline for sending in entries is 31st December at midnight. That's 7pm New York Time (31st December) and 11am (1st Jan) Melbourne time to help out non-Brits.

7. This is essentially a forum game without a winner, hence my being unsure of its appeal. It does however put the long held notion by some that the combined minds of the forum know better than the Committee.

8. Who picked whom will remain anonymous.

9. The paranoid probably shouldn't send in their DDP unique hopefuls. Whilst I have no intention of stealing them away, it would make no sense: if the person then showed up on the list, their chances of being unique would be very slim indeed!

10. To keep to the Deathlist spirit, only the top 25 ranked celebrites from the current list of Deathlist 2015 living competitors will be used: Zsa Zsa Gabor, Joao Havelange, Herman Wouk, Billy Graham, Olivia de Havilland, Javier Perez de Cuellar, George Bush Sr, Prince Philip, Fidel Castro, Clive James, Kirk Douglas, Valerie Harper, Martin Crowe, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Helmut Kohl, Leslie Philips, Ken Kercheval, Harper Lee, Bob Dole, Joost van der Westhuizen, Doris Day, Peter Sallis, Denis Norden, Henry Kissinger, Jake La Motta, Cliff Michelmore, Nancy Reagan, Hosni Mubarak, Liz Smith, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Richard Adams, Jake Roberts, Vera Lynn, Eddie Large and Bill Maynard. You can pick as many or as few of possible though, and leave me to worry about the cut off.

Anyhow, enjoy. Or not.

• Like 8

Fair play to you but that's a big take on for you.

Would it not be better for people to send in their list of 50 names and, from those lists, you compile a list of the 50 names that cropped up the most?

That way you get a popular consensus and you have a list of 50 names picked by the forum that would compete with the 50 names put up by the DL committee?

Sure, there will be names the same on both lists but, im sure, there will be a good few that will be unique to the forums patrons or summat.

That would then be a proper forum members v committee battle to the death...

Edit: Im sure one of the kindly mods could then pin a new thread with the 50 most popular member picks to the top of this page?

• Like 1

Hi!

That's essentially how the Fifty will be chosen, by merging everyone's lists into one single list of 50. I doubt someone picked by over 50% of the voters will miss out, but if that becomes a risk, I'll bring it up here and let the public decide, if, say, we have someone on 90% of lists in 51st place and someone on one list in 50th place. But we'll cross that bridge if we get anywhere near it.

Seriously fella, this is an open invitation for everyone to send in their longlists; we're talking serious man hours.

Obviously, I'll give it a go.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Seriously fella, this is an open invitation for everyone to send in their longlists; we're talking serious man hours.

Obviously, I'll give it a go.

Good luck!

I have a long list somewhere that, at last check, had over 2000 names on it. It wasn't entirely for Deadpooling purposes though (OCD alert). I'm crazy enough to put in the work this end if forum folk think its interesting enough to send in a list.

Mind you, I haven't yet received my first list of 100 French singers by someone who didn't read the rules, half of who turn out to be long dead! :lol:

Was going to send mine over now but decided to wait until December 31st as things can change quickly in this game and you will have enough work to do without dealing with substitutes.

• Like 2

I quite like this idea and respect for the ambition, will be sure to submit something at some point in December.

• Like 1

I'll submit my entry sometime late December.

Great idea this. Would you welcome discussion of possible picks in here?

Great idea this. Would you welcome discussion of possible picks in here?

Feel free!

I suggest Kay Burley. Oh, and I heard that Peter Falk has Alzheimer's.........

• Like 5

I like the idea very much. I basically have the list ready by now, since it's not about marginal, but winning picks, but more about very prominent/notorious people whose death wouldn't be surprising, but is not necessarily expected. And I'm rather liberal with my suggestions anyway. Maybe even have the list ready by Christmas to "confront" the committee with it, or for last week adjustments? I'll think about the correct order and send it rather soon.

• Like 1

I think this is a good idea, and I will do my very best to remember to send you a list. I always do mine last minute, although because I have to cunting well work this year, I will have more time on my hands to do it because I won't be going away on hols.

I'm a bit confused by point 10. If those names are in anyway wouldn't it make sense for us to pick the remaining 25? Or as it's the first year doing this not worry about the 25 rule?

I'm a bit confused by point 10. If those names are in anyway wouldn't it make sense for us to pick the remaining 25? Or as it's the first year doing this not worry about the 25 rule?

1. In people's lists they send me, they can name as many or as few of the surviving names from this years Deathlist. I've listed all 36 current survivors above.

2. Our actual collated list will stick to the "25 from the previous year" rule.

3. As a result, if our top fifty, after all votes have been counted, has more than twenty-five of the 2015 survivors (named for ease in Rule 10), then the lowest ranked excess survivors will be axed from the list in favour of The Fifty-First ranked celebrity and so on...

4. Since we don't know if that'll be an issue until I actually do the counting, voters don't need to worry about limiting their personal lists to 25 survivors. It'd be nice if they did, but that's life.

Hope that helps!

yeah, it seems that the deathlisting community have been forgetting him but will his time finally run out?

yeah, it seems that the deathlisting community have been forgetting him but will his time finally run out?

I'm sure Kay Burley is a woman you know.

Did the 'Kid just get a joke? speechless.gif

• Like 3

Did the 'Kid just get a joke? speechless.gif
piss off
  • Like 4

We have 4 lists in already.

Interestingly, while the actual counting will take place at Hogmanay, a quick look suggests one celebrity has picked up 197 points from a possible total 200 from those four lists! I shall leave said celebrity anonymous, in a pretense of suspense. They are well known to the forum anyhow.

• Like 2

So this is us just essentially sending our top 50 prospects+backup's. And the 50 who get the most points will be the Crowdsourced 50 list?

So this is us just essentially sending our top 50 prospects+backup's. And the 50 who get the most points will be the Crowdsourced 50 list?

Essentially, yes.

Though preferably folk who would get a major news outlet obit rather than some of the lower reach DDP folk.

Essentially, yes.

Though preferably folk who would get a major news outlet obit rather than some of the lower reach DDP folk.

Oh ok. So keep it like the deathlist top 50 and no Lauren Hill,Kate Granger etc types

• Like 2

Well up for this. Top marks to msc because it sounds like a whole load of work. I won't put my team in yet (maybe about the time we get the nod from the central committee that they have met and thrashed out their list). I'll have 25 carry-over' and between 10 to 15 each of their "returnees" or new entrants.

• Like 1