DevonDeathTrip

General Non School Massacre Thread

By the way, is there a 'general Civil Unrest' thread ?

Catalonia appears to be a hotspot at present

Im off to Barcelona in three weeks for a weekend and am going to take in the game v Malaga.

Ive had to contend with the demise of Monarch, that sod O'Leary playing Russian roulette with my flight and now the prospect of having a rubber bullet fired my way as well as the game taking place behind closed doors.

The trip is bloody jinxed.

14 minutes ago, RishCast said:

To be fair about this point, there were like 3 guys with the same name that were being blamed, one of whom was a sex offender. So, I get why they'd get confused there.

Other points spot on, though.

Publishing an unproven rumour, and not retracting but deleting, is pretty much fake news imo

13 minutes ago, Prosperina said:

A depressing day. I'm not sure what it will take for the U.S. to reform its constitution regarding "the right to bear arms"

Trump has gone on record be for saying that London isn't safe...

...FFS

Again, if that was written as;

the U.S. to reform its constitution regarding "the Army/Navy/Air Forces right to bear arms"

The World would be a safer place.

I have to say the Las Vegas atrocity comes as no surprise. The politicians haven't  lifted a finger to change their gun laws and fat chance of it happening with Trump in the White House.Utter madness!

Interesting question on Facebook just now

Just what does a white guy have to do to get labelled a terrorist these days?

• Like 1

To try and take the Facebook  question seriously a definition of a terrorist is

'a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.'

In this case no-one seems to know why he did it so he certainly can't be justifiably called a terrorist at the moment.

Simply massacring a load of people does not class you as a terrorist.

To try and answer the comment more flippantly

Become a Muslim?

Or....

Wear a US, Brit, NATO uniform, and mow down a load of brown folk.

Oh wait........

Terrorists are as we know a subjective definition. As usual fb is full of shite.

He was a pro poker player , that's as close a definition.

22 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I have to say the Las Vegas atrocity comes as no surprise. The politicians haven't  lifted a finger to change their gun laws and fat chance of it happening with Trump in the White House.Utter madness!

'Lifted a finger' so Trump shows trigger discipline?

1 hour ago, charon said:

Terrorists are as we know a subjective definition. As usual fb is full of shite.

Issue is also that under Nevada law, any mass murderer is labelled a terrorist, and yet no one if officially willing to call him that - cops specifically stated it wasn't terrorism, as a matter of fact. 

No. There's only one issue. In the United States, it is absurdly easy to obtain firearms legally or illegally, and to also obtain mechanisms that increase a firearm's lethality legally or illegally. We are willing to place limits around every right we have from buying fertilizer in bulk to not wearing our shoes across a dirty airport floor to hollering "fire" in a crowded theater - except one. A right that is linked to militia service which 99% of civilian firearms holders will never see. Written with an eye to 18th century weaponry - hardly AR-15s and semi-automatic handguns subsequently made automatic. 

As Bishop Dan Edwards stated, as Americans we have no constitutional right to food or medical care but we are fanatically jealous of our capacity to kill, because this is what makes us matter. I can kill, therefore I am. 

Not a flattering opinion of Americans, but I believe he is correct. There is no other reason for us to hang on to pieces of metal that have one reason for existence - death. When poll after poll from multiple polling organizations across the political spectrum reveal that Americans want at least small changes to gun laws - the ability to stop people with psychiatric diagnoses from getting guns, closing the internet and guns show loopholes, make gun laws standard across the country because this patchwork method doesn't work - Congress won't act because the NRA opposes even these small compromises. Americans understand it won't stop all tragedies, but it can't hurt. 

I know that if 20 first graders being executed in cold blood in their classrooms doesn't change anything, the chances of Las Vegas making a difference are slim. There seems to be unlimited "thoughts and prayers" out there and precious little stomach for taking the hard stance that might make some small difference. Somehow or another I don't think our deified founding fathers - who are always pulled out and dusted off when the second amendment is challenged - quite envisioned dead children or concert goers being picked off like fish in a barrel in their "intentions" in composing the Bill of Rights in 1789.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Taking away people's rights isn't the answer to some lone madman's actions. His evil act will have had an impact then. For all we know his motive very well might have been an anti-gun therefore you would be giving in to him and forfilling his goals. The reason the anti- gun stance is plausible is the ridiculous amount of guns and bumper stocks etc he amassed. He also booked hotels overlooking concerts before, so it looks like careful planning went into this and overlooking concerts he knew would cause huge amounts of casualties. Clearly he didn't do this for the fun of it and there is some motive or message there. Of course if he was indeed anti-gun he would know his actions wouldn't bring about change if everyone knew that he was committing mass murder to try and change gun laws hence the reason no motive has yet been found. I could be wrong but name me one other mass shooting or killing without a motive or without the killer/ killers leaving behind a note or some evidence?

• Like 1

"There is some motive or message here."

I'm going with "Dude Wanted to kill a shitload of people".

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/15/truck-bomb-mogadishu-kills-people-somalia

Somalia, 200+ dead at the moment

Edit: Count at 300+, expected to rise as people as still missing. Casualties (injured+dead) at over 500. Apparently the bomb exploded next to a gas tanker (probably not planned as such by the guys who set it off) which resulted in deaths and injuries being far more than just the bomb could have achieved on its own.

On 10/15/2017 at 09:52, RishCast said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/15/truck-bomb-mogadishu-kills-people-somalia

Somalia, 200+ dead at the moment

Edit: Count at 300+, expected to rise as people as still missing. Casualties (injured+dead) at over 500. Apparently the bomb exploded next to a gas tanker (probably not planned as such by the guys who set it off) which resulted in deaths and injuries being far more than just the bomb could have achieved on its own.

There does not seem to be much news coverage about this. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, theoldlady said:

There does not seem to be much news coverage about this. 

I got all my coverage about this attack from The Guardian, which did a decent job, IMO. I think NYT covered it a bit as well, but aside from that, you're right - the initial blast was covered, and nothing else (including Western responses re: the Eiffel Tower going dark and Toronto doing blue and white lights in honour of the victims, and a bunch of famous people like Imaan and Coldplay donating money).

Truck slammed in New York City killing 8 people. 

Usual anti Muslim comments coming in three, two, one...

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Link broken I think SC, 3o+ shots fired, 3 dead and shooter on the lam.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-shooting-colorado-walmart-suspect-large/story?id=50874739

Sutherland Springs, Texas

Church shooting with multiple fatalities. Suspect is dead.

28 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Sutherland Springs, Texas

Church shooting with multiple fatalities. Suspect is dead.

Only two things are certain in life...

Death In Texas...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Only two things are certain in life...

Death In Texas...

At the moment that's 26 things. And at least 20 halfway things. And a bunch of pathetic, sorry assed, slimy politicians - most of whom have full time professional protection - offering their worthless thoughts and prayers. You know, those wonderfully effective things that do such an amazing job stopping this bullshit time and time again. The same thoughts and prayers that stopped 20 elementary school children from being slaughtered and concert goers from being picked off like fish in a barrel and a bunch of people in a nightclub being executed and an eight month old from being annihilated by a guy who was going out with an Uzi to hunt humans. 

I wish I couldn't go on. I can, but I won't. 

More guns and prayers - that's working so fucking well, isn't it? 

I used to think that my countrymen who weren't angry just weren't paying attention. Now I think they are blind. 

• Like 4

Once again you have the "you want to talk about gun control now? Have some respect for the dead" messages from the pro-gun people.

I can't pretend to understand the culture, but with people dying from guns every day in the US, surely it is always time to talk about it.

"But hey man, it's not the gun it's the crazy behind it"...well, if you are crazy, you are unlikely to get help because you'd have to pay to get help from healthcare...and that's more expensive than guns.

Please get a grip on this...

On 11/5/2017 at 20:36, YoungWillz said:

Please get a grip on this...

Won't happen.