themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Can't wait to compete.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this!

It seems the list of eligible news sources has been reduced quite a bit, that is undoubtedly a good thing.

However it seems from the email that the death must be mentioned on the BBC and from one of the other named sources. So if for example it is in the Mirror but not anywhere on the BBC, then it doesn't count. Do I understand this correctly?

I've submitted my entries. I know, I said I would wait until the final days of 2015, but my hard drive fucked up, and I have other plans later this month, so better safe than sorry.

Shall I submit bios for a few I know you'll need?

SC

It seems the list of eligible news sources has been reduced quite a bit, that is undoubtedly a good thing.

However it seems from the email that the death must be mentioned on the BBC and from one of the other named sources. So if for example it is in the Mirror but not anywhere on the BBC, then it doesn't count. Do I understand this correctly?

That's a good spot. It's meant to be OR! I'll change it...

Shall I submit bios for a few I know you'll need?

SC

Absolutely! Nothing too verbose, just the basics so I'll know who they are...

What is the done thing for entering theme teams? Do we enter them in the same email as the main team, or individual emails? The rules suggest the same email, but I'm sure I've read on here the latter at some point (not that the search engine is being any use), so thought I'd check.

Either suits me. I'm not going to be too fussy about how the teams are sent as long as it's to the right address and doesn't have too many errors...

• Like 1

Either suits me. I'm not going to be too fussy about how the teams are sent as long as it's to the right address and doesn't have too many errors...

Ok, thanks!

Once again, many thanks to MIB for your marathon efforts in running the DDP, although I am wondering how many tit pics in your inbox it's going to take this year to ensure my place in the top five :D

• Like 1

Thanks for your work, again!

About the definition of "obituary": If an article merely refers in passing to the ...passing... of a certain person, does it count? Something like "Oldest person of Europe XYZ has died (...) She became oldest person of Europe after person ZYX died earlier this year (in the same year, but didn't get an obit)."

Good idea to give super-centenarians only 3 points!

If we're entering a regular team, do we have to say that it's not a theme team, or do we just not say anything?

Sorry, I'm one of those folks who worries about everything and needs to make sure everything is just right :P

If we're entering a regular team, do we have to say that it's not a theme team, or do we just not say anything?

Sorry, I'm one of those folks who worries about everything and needs to make sure everything is just right :P

If you say it's a theme team, it's a theme team. If you don't...

Thanks for your work, again!

About the definition of "obituary": If an article merely refers in passing to the ...passing... of a certain person, does it count? Something like "Oldest person of Europe XYZ has died (...) She became oldest person of Europe after person ZYX died earlier this year (in the same year, but didn't get an obit)."

Good idea to give super-centenarians only 3 points!

If the article in question references the other person having died then it counts.

Main victims of the new rules would be, I'd assume, mayors/councilmen for minor British cities, directors/chairmen/backroom staff for non-Premier League football teams and US political figures not important enough to get the Reuters nod.

Main victims of the new rules would be, I'd assume, mayors/councilmen for minor British cities, directors/chairmen/backroom staff for non-Premier League football teams and US political figures not important enough to get the Reuters nod.

/me checks lists.

Phew! No damage.

• Like 1

Also a few but not most anyway of the pre 1980's Basketball Notables might be on the Yahoo UK/Eurosport radar but miss out from Daily Mail.Daily Mail largely goes for clickbait and professional basketball was a fringe popularity sport in the Usa until Michael Jordan,Magic and Bird came along.

Still compiling my list. Just when I've got it put together, and get ready to send it, someone dies. Possibly by this weekend I'll have it compiled and then just hope with the 3 subs I select.

Guest WEP

Last year, my three subs died at the end of December. They were chosen for 2013.

Since I have decided NOT to compete in 2016, I see a bit more free time coming...

Actually, I don't think I'll compete in the main competition either. I haven't really looked at what I'd have and can't be bothered with the research and stuff, more on running the pool. Might do a theme team though...

Actually, I don't think I'll compete in the main competition either. I haven't really looked at what I'd have and can't be bothered with the research and stuff, more on running the pool. Might do a theme team though...

I think that's what I'm going to do. I was going to retire completely but I want to have some presence for the 20th anniversary.

Teams are in.

Just sit back to see if I need any of my subs.

Thanks TMIB and good luck to everyone playing.

moved from the Deathrace thread...

Sir Creep, your man with the cancer (Adam Something) from that band we spoke of a few weeks ago - no press at all in the UK so not going to be a DDP hit, but would probably be worth Deathrace points, I'm sure of it.

Us yanks clearly at a disadvantage when it comes to having a clue who might obit as we approach 'fringeness' (new word). He may not obit even here, but Rolling Stone would give a mention and there's that.

*That's the championship winning deceased footballer and not the famous singer-songwriter, before any smart alecs reply.

Smart alecs? HERE?!

It can be tricky for us too, sometimes! Best bet is to do a Google search for the person. You can do searches for websites and news per country, and if a person shows up as mentioned in the Mail/BBC/Express/Guardian/Sun/Times /Channel 4/ITV/Sky/Reuters/Independent within the last few years (doesn't need to be about their ill health either) then they are 95% certain of a qualifying obit when they go. It's the folk mentioned in the regionals - usually low level politicians - who might not make the major papers, because it depends on whats happening in the world. Jean Dore, shockingly, got a British obit because it was a very quiet week - quite often, mayors of large British cities go without obits.

When it comes to Yank names, well: Mario Cuomo got an obit easily, so anyone more famous than him is no bother. I'd expect nearly all living Senators or notable congress types to obit here. When you get to the individual state Houses rather than national level, the person needs to be fairly noteworthy for one reason or another. Keith Farnham will probably obit because the Daily Mail have noticed Farnham's scumbaggery, but if one of his colleagues gets terminal cancer next week, I doubt we'll hear about it, except on this forum.

Sports wise, the major US sports all seem fairly popular here - I'd think Baseball was the least, and John Farrell got BBC coverage for his ill health. It's the college football system and its counterparts you'd have trouble with, unless there's a big press story like with Joe Paterno.

Actors and the like are more of an international currency so you shouldn't have any trouble with them. If a band had any hit over here, at any point, they'll get obits. Even Pauly Fuemana got one. How bizzare.

The rest is gut feeling, really.

Mind you, fortune favours the brave. Spade's won two DDP's in a row (and isn't out of the race yet for his third in a row) and does he stop to go "Maybe Andrew Millwall wont obit?" No, he went for it, and nabbed the obit, and it turned out to be a title winning risk. The Living End (DDT) has won the title banking on obits for Jim Stynes, Anthonia Onhoua, Jock Hobbs, etc. Though, given DDT actually is the Grim Reaper...

• Like 1