themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

So here's a thing....

After emailing The Guardian's obituary editor to ask if they were going to obit Delpech (see upthread), I then emailed The Independent's. He told me they had one on the way.

Now, you may have noticed that with the closing of The Indy's print resources, they are no longer running an obituary section. No obit ran in the six weeks between my email and the section's closure.

A closer look does reveal an obit, however, of the guy who wrote their music obituaries. This is why there was no QO.

I am going to lose the DDP because someone who was never picked by anyone died. A first?

I don't quite understand why there response to their music obituary writer dying is to close the entire obit section? I think this is a case of correlation not cause in that the obit section was getting nerfed anyway and he died around the same time. You've not lost the obit because he died, beware of seeking cause where there is only correlation.

It's worth noting the obit writers obit is from the 1st March, whereas the last obit on their section is the 26th March

Maybe The Independent closed its print section because of Mr Perrone's death?

So here's a thing....

After emailing The Guardian's obituary editor to ask if they were going to obit Delpech (see upthread), I then emailed The Independent's. He told me they had one on the way.

Now, you may have noticed that with the closing of The Indy's print resources, they are no longer running an obituary section. No obit ran in the six weeks between my email and the section's closure.

A closer look does reveal an obit, however, of the guy who wrote their music obituaries. This is why there was no QO.

I am going to lose the DDP because someone who was never picked by anyone died. A first?

I don't quite understand why there response to their music obituary writer dying is to close the entire obit section? I think this is a case of correlation not cause in that the obit section was getting nerfed anyway and he died around the same time. You've not lost the obit because he died, beware of seeking cause where there is only correlation.

It's worth noting the obit writers obit is from the 1st March, whereas the last obit on their section is the 26th March

No, they closed the obituary section down because the fucking newspaper doesn't actually exist any more.

• Like 1

So here's a thing....

No, they closed the obituary section down because the fucking newspaper doesn't actually exist any more.

The print newspaper doesn't exist anymore. The online version does. Online news still runs obits, you divvy.

You're hardly missing out on the obit because someone no-one ever picked died, your missing out on the obit due to an online newspaper's editorial decision.

Stop crying wolf, Michel Delpech wasn't obit worthy and that's why you missed out.

• Like 2

So here's a thing....

The print newspaper doesn't exist anymore. The online version does. Online news still runs obits, you divvy.

You're hardly missing out on the obit because someone no-one ever picked died, your missing out on the obit due to an online newspaper's editorial decision.

Stop crying wolf, Michel Delpech wasn't obit worthy and that's why you missed out.

Can't give enough 'likes'.

That last sentence is the best thing EVER published on this site.

SC

Is The Living End in cahoots with the Grim Reaper?

Well, it's not a race. It's impossible for him or anyone to keep up that hit rate, simply because you run out of names at some point. I mean, I fully expect all 20 people on my Love Boat roster to be dead by the end of the year (but they might not all obit...). It then depends on the quality of the hits. But then, DDT made quite a gamble on Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, far from a sure thing, but very decisive if successful.

Worth noting for the stat wonks among us that if DDT gets another hit after Mulkearns, that guarantees the points record will be broken (which I think most of us figured was an inevitability this year - I could easily see at least five teams breaking the previous points record of 112).

Worth noting for the stat wonks among us that if DDT gets another hit after Mulkearns, that guarantees the points record will be broken (which I think most of us figured was an inevitability this year - I could easily see at least five teams breaking the previous points record of 112).

I think a team in second place are nearly guaranteed to break the points record too with Jenny Diski's impending death and then Any One Other.

Elsewhere, I could certainly see DQSP, Cancerous Hatred, Heading Nowhere and Golden Slumbers all getting over the current record total.

Latest update.

Strickland gone, F returns!

• Like 7

So here's a thing....

SC

What, a completely misapplied phrase?

Oh well whatever, Deathray's a football fan so I suppose it's not a huge surprise.

or as true fucktards say, IT IS WHAT IT IS!

So here's a thing....

SC

What, a completely misapplied phrase?

Oh well whatever, Deathray's a football fan so I suppose it's not a huge surprise.

or as true fucktards say, IT IS WHAT IT IS!

I must admit even I as the author of that supposedly best ever sentence published on this site was utterly baffled by SC's assertion of such.

Stop fishing for crocodiles!

I've still got 13 living people on my team--more than anyone else in the top 10. I've got that 'going for me' lmao.

SC

Guest Ponderer

If all human life is wiped out before the end of the year, which DDP team would win?

If all human life is wiped out before the end of the year, which DDP team would win?

Depends on how long the obituary writers live...

• Like 3

Latest update.

I was really getting worried about the f's. I can now finally ask, who the fuck is Eddie Felgate?

• Like 1

Guest I D I O T

Latest update.

I was really getting worried about the f's. I can now finally ask, who the fuck is Eddie Felgate?

We can all ask that! I'm thinking it maybe a spelling issue but I've tried a few variations but no-one stands out...

Latest update.

We can all ask that! I'm thinking it maybe a spelling issue but I've tried a few variations but no-one stands out...

As its a (theme?) team of bloody old people, does he mean Eddie Filgate, the centenarian Fiana Fail backbencher?

Latest update.

As its a (theme?) team of bloody old people, does he mean Eddie Filgate, the centenarian Fiana Fail backbencher?

Maybe someone who goes by the name Eddie Fellate?

Latest update.

Maybe someone who goes by the name Eddie Fellate?

I believe his name was Eddie Err-Hey-I-Just-Found-Out-This-Guy-totally-like-Died-in-a-car-accident-in-january-but-he-got-an-obit-honest-ps-it-was-on-his-birthday-the-13th-can-I-have-20-points-now-added-innocent-face-here-for-effect, Jr.

Latest update.

I think you get the cigar. Seems to fit the bill as the team is The Old Ones Are the Pests..

Also Spade's pick of Graham James is the Bishop of Norwich, not some bloody astrologer!

Must scroll down emails one day...