themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Congrats to Im Sorry For Your Troubles

35th overall,but highest placing team without Joey Feek

Thanks. That's interesting, I hadn't noticed that.

Yes, I did consider putting Joey in, because of the Grammy nomination which did lift her above the level of the cancer bloggers. And I did include her in the theme team. But she is the kind of pick that I find a bit distasteful. I do occasionally put them in the minor deadpool games, but for the DDP I try to stick to persons that at least one person I know will have heard of, even if they need a little prompting or explanation. Like John Wetton: "He was in King Crimson, and Asia." "Ah!")

I expect I will lose out for not picking Mark Sims this year, but I cannot see that he has any level of fame.

I'm forced to accept 32nd place having done the most with the least (8 hits and 1 Lost). The next closest team with only 8 hits was in 41st place. Incredibly I never had a hit after August or so. Thus despite being 2nd place first week of March, I casually slid and slid down the charts lol, dropping outta the top 10 around September, and top 20 a month later. All in all a good rookie effort and learning experience. Spade and I shared ONE thing on common: Hassan Asif as Joker; that's where our similarities began and ended. Haha.

Probably didn't even win Rookie of the Year :-(

Hoping for top 20 in 2017. Keeping my expectations real.

SirC

I thought I might sneak "Most Improved", right till Vera Caslavska's cancer returned.

Would be churlish in the extreme to complain about an 183 place improvement in 3 years though.

Was Hassan Asif the terminally ill student who was briefly in the news because of a situation with his parents?

I will never make use of such people, nor the dying woman whose friend is adopting her children, or as someone suggested, a hit and run victim.

I sort of expanded Dr Sims fame on here by accident. I picked him in 2016 because I saw him on the BBC News and mistook him for someone more famous.

In 2017, I have no such excuse, I'm just a scoundrel.

I thought I might sneak "Most Improved", right till Vera Caslavska's cancer returned.

Would be churlish in the extreme to complain about an 183 place improvement in 3 years though.

How's most improved calculated. Can't see the stat for the last few years on the sites.

If it's how I think it was I was (biggest climb up the leaderboard) defeated to it last year by The Good, The Bad and The Cliff Richard who went from 431st in 2014 to 16th in 2015 - rising 415 places despite myself climbing from 485th to 73rd in 2015, a climb of 412 places.

With a further rise of 18 places to 55th place this year that's a total rise of 430 places over 3 years which isn't too shabby at all.

This years main team will probably be my first major dip in form for myself having looked at the competition, a lot of nailed on certainties missing.

John Berger gets me off the mark.

Welcome back BiblioG!

It's 2017 now you know...

Though I maintain that 2015 was the year in which I had the best shot of winning (ie, could have jokered anyone who ended up dying and I would have won - it was sheer bad luck that my joker happened to be the 2015 equiv of 2014 Sam Simon!) 2016 was my strongest year yet in every other regard bar final placement. Still made a few mistakes (thinking NakaMats was legit, overestimating John Wicks's fame, and as I mentioned in the 2017 thread, willing to risk - even if successfully - an obit for an 80+ name but not anyone super young) but some great punts too like the Farren/Ford combo and Suzanne Wright, and a fourth place finish with 145 points is hard to scoff at. Onwards and upwards.

275 hits equates to a death (hit) nearly every 32 hours...

• Like 1

Somebody probably had Derek Parfitt. Does the Times count?

Yes and yes - for 2017.

275 hits equates to a death (hit) nearly every 32 hours...

That's a very interesting stat. I'm very proud of us now!