Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

19 minutes ago, msc said:

It could be, but I doubt it, purely because Kushner and Sessions seem good at implicating themselves without anyone else's help. Plea bid has to be info few others can give.

Also, not sure they would. Pence is a Republican, but Trump comes with fanatical support, and is practically a licence to the White House for the next 7 years. Why take the risk?

This is on the belief no major smoking gun which kills their faith in him happens. At this point, I can't imagine what it'd be.

This fanatical support and practically owning the White House for seven years...

He's polarised the political debate so his core support (above 30%) has hardened but so too has the resolve amongst liberally minded sorts to mount a meaningful challenge (so you might usefully assume a lot of those opposed to Trump would - on principle - vote for a plausible Democrat regardless of who s/he was). 

Also, in terms of legislation it's taken just over a year for the first major piece to pass and his own Republican side have seen so many of their own trashed via Twitter that they worry he's toxifying their brand and are likely to find someone to provide strong opposition ahead of the selection of the next presidential candidate. 

Trump's strength - partly - relies on looking impregnable and some of the above is likely to challenge that.

Aye, but the dam's held so far, that even if it does go, it's hard to see ahead of time what'll be the thing that does for it.

The midterms will be a better judge of the current Dem/Rep dynamic. As it stands, I expect it to be a good night for the Republicans (they're only defending something like 5 of 33 seats), but if the Democrats hold on or make a net gain, then that 30% liberal might be as strong as the 30% Trumpaholics.

I'd say fear the worst, but really I just get on with work and look up every now and again to see if they've sorted themselves out yet!

I see it very unlikely Trump will ever be kicked out of office, the first steps to kicking him out over Russian meddling is to prove that they colluded - which Mueller and his team has been trying to do for the last 10 months. All that has been dug up is evidence that Hillary colluded with the Russians.

^Er, state your source...

In other news, one US representative is ready to put down an impeachment vote on Wednesday. At first this may seem like exciting news, until you realize that the representative that is planning the impeachment vote is Representative Al Green, who has already called for his impeachment for a while now yet no one else is willing to jump the gun, ya di da di da...

What do you reckon then? Alcohol? Coke? A stroke? Parkinsons? Official explanation is a "dry mouth".

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

What do you reckon then? Alcohol? Coke? A stroke? Parkinsons? Official explanation is a "dry mouth".

I'm going for denture cream

On 12/6/2017 at 07:49, Joey Russ said:

^Er, state your source...

In other news, one US representative is ready to put down an impeachment vote on Wednesday. At first this may seem like exciting news, until you realize that the representative that is planning the impeachment vote is Representative Al Green, who has already called for his impeachment for a while now yet no one else is willing to jump the gun, ya di da di da...

As expected impeachment failed, but it did get 58 votes. Will be interesting to see what happens post-elections next year. If the Dems pull off a majority in the House, they could possibly bring impeachment back up and pass it - though I don't see it passing Senate regardless of who holds the majority, so even if it passes in the House it'll be an symbolic gesture at best.

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Trump to have a medical exam and to make results public. Might be the first warning sign to potentially put him on your longlist...

I've said before that Trump reminds me of LBJ, in the sense that he will barely get through two terms then croak right after. Reagan looked way healthier at that same age.

Trump reportedly drinks 12 cans of Diet Coke each day. According to a recent study, people who drink diet soda daily are three times more likely to develop stroke and dementia than those who consumed it weekly or less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/12/12/trump-reportedly-drinks-12-cans-of-diet-coke-each-day-is-that-healthy/?tid=hybrid_popularity_challenger_2_na&utm_term=.3b89f13b0a3e

• Like 1

All the other presidents at Disney's Hall of Presidents look as astonished as the rest of us that Trump got elected.

DRXPTswVAAAIHXw (1).jpg

Buchanan and the other pre-Civil War prezzes are in disbelief that someone so new might be joining their historical ranks. Meanwhile Lincoln is wondering "How did I get shot and not that guy?" while Grant just wants another shot of whiskey (though he would've without Trump there anyway).

• Like 2

On 12/8/2017 at 21:26, Life Is Beautiful said:

I've said before that Trump reminds me of LBJ, in the sense that he will barely get through two terms then croak right after. Reagan looked way healthier at that same age.

There are medical indications that Reagan got Alzheimer's aged 73 in 1984. His speech became slower and more erratic.

Now Trump is reported to use two hands to drink a glass of water (or a can of diet coke)

There is a family history of Alzheimers but Trump has always behaved strangely.I reckon he is somewhat autistic and has problems with his dentures as opposed to anything more sinister.

4 minutes ago, bladan said:

There are medical indications that Reagan got Alzheimer's aged 73 in 1984. His speech became slower and more erratic.

Now Trump is reported to use two hands to drink a glass of water (or a can of diet coke)

I dunno I know some people who use two hands when drinking.Tends to be a female habit though from observation.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

I dunno I know some people who use two hands when drinking.Tends to be a female habit though from observation.

Is Trump hermaphrodite too?  I can see you use one hand

5 minutes ago, bladan said:

That's a popular myth. There has never been any tangible proof that Reagan had Alzheimer's while being in office except for some vague and unverified claims from his son. Besides, The Gipper had probably the best medical care in the world at the time and I'm sure SOMEONE out of the dozen of highly qualified doctors of his would have figured that out during his second term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

As a fully qualified dipsomaniac I can vouch that we use two hands as well for the first drink of the day. Otherwise the shakes will make us spill it. After that then just one hand and steady as a rock. 

15 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

That's a popular myth. There has never been any tangible proof that Reagan had Alzheimer's while being in office except for some vague and unverified claims from his son. Besides, The Gipper had probably the best medical care in the world at the time and I'm sure SOMEONE out of the dozen of highly qualified doctors of his would have figured that out during his second term.

According to Prof Dick Swaab, an international doctor of neuroscience, Reagan's Alzheimer's while being in office is not a myth. Read Swaab's bestselling book, it's very good

"the dozen of highly qualified doctors of his " You mean the dozen of highly paid doctors of his?

Those hobbling old men with their nuke launch codes...

On 12/19/2017 at 09:54, bladan said:

According to Prof Dick Swaab, an international doctor of neuroscience, Reagan's Alzheimer's while being in office is not a myth. Read Swaab's bestselling book, it's very good

"the dozen of highly qualified doctors of his " You mean the dozen of highly paid doctors of his?

Those hobbling old men with their nuke launch codes...

All Swaab says in We Are Our Brains is that there are "...indications that he (Reagan) developed the disease in 1984." He then goes on to look at debate performances and indicates that there was slowing and confusion of pronouns as well as an increase in pausing. (pp 345 - 346) This symptom constellation is highly suggestive of dementia in general but can also be caused by head trauma, emotional disorders, medication side effects, anxiety, hypoglycemia, depression, aspirin poisoning, epilepsy, intoxication, thyroid storm, excessive caffeine use, diabetic ketoacidosis, anemia, schizophrenia, transient global amnesia, nitrogen narcosis, toxic shock syndrome, typhoid, cyanide poisoning, mad cow disease, lead poisoning, brain tumor...and on and on and on. 

Swaab never diagnosed Alzheimer's in Reagan, nor does he claim to have personally examined Reagan at any time. While I tend to agree Reagan had early Alzheimer's in office - and I am an American old enough to remember the changes in him over the eight years he was in office - I don't think Swaab's book reaches the level of definitive proof of diagnosis.  

Reagan's physicians were:

• 1974 to 1981: William M. Lukash, MD
  • 1981 to 1985: Daniel A. Ruge, MD, Ph.D.
  • 1985 to 1986: T. Burton Smith, MD
  • 1986 to 1987: John E. Hutton, Jr., MD
  • 1987 to 1993: Lawrence C. Mohr, Jr., MD, FACP, FCCP, USA (concurrent from 1989 to 1993 with Burton J. Lee III)

Most were active duty military physicians. In addition, American presidents are routinely monitored at Walter Reed Medical Center on the Bethesda Naval Air Station in Maryland. They are required to submit to an annual comprehensive physical at Walter Reed.

Reagan probably did have Alzheimer's while in office but he was surrounded by men and women who, although their politics were not always mainstream, would have stopped him from doing anything stupid - and for all we know, they may have. I have no such faith that Trump has surrounded himself with anything but enablers and sycophants.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:40, Sean said:

There is a family history of Alzheimers but Trump has always behaved strangely.I reckon he is somewhat autistic and has problems with his dentures as opposed to anything more sinister.

You've got to wonder how many of those within sight of the man are already compiling their sensational books for when he's out of power. Despite the steady turn over of senior staff there must be a few aides and the like keeping their heads down and ears open. Given Trump's total inability to function to anyone else's agenda and the inconsistencies of his statements this is the kind of stuff that adds up to decent insider accounts once it's over. Add to that that the market for any President Trump book is probably wide open because he's unlikely to write an insightful account and any ghost writer employed to do so would likely be shouted at to turn in some gushing tribute that'd become a classic for ironic appreciation. 

Of course all of the above depends on his presidency ending before the world gets fried in a nuclear war.

• Like 2

A local Turkish politician, Abdullah Topçu, who gained some fame in his country for his physical resemblance to Donald Trump, has died aged 71.

Trump is 71 until June. Just saying.

There are lots of claims going around that Trump's mental health is progressively deteriorating further.

Here is an interesting transcript of a dkscussion with a psychologist:

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/12/8/there_are_thousands_of_us_mental

Trump may also be sending ordinary Americans insane by inducing shared psychosis:

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/trumps-crazed-presidency-may-be-inducing-shared-psychosis-among-sane-americans-psychiatrist/