Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

3 hours ago, CarolAnn said:

You completely miss the point.

Yes, El Salvador, etc.,  are horrible places. Even "lefties" like me don't argue that point. The objection is to the idea that someone from El Salvador, etc., is not worthy of coming to the United States simply because s/he is from a country that is - shall we say - a shithole. American mass immigration has not historically been based on what the immigrant can do for the United States but rather what the United States can do for the immigrant. The idea that an immigrant should arrive prepared to raise the GDP by a point is a recent phenomenon.

Ironically, most Norwegians wouldn't lower themselves to come to the US, and I don't blame them. They would lose a lot and probably gain a neighbor with an AR-15 pointed out the window warning the local kids off the lawn.

As presented by Trump, immigration selection based solely on country of origin is anathema to most Americans as it reeks of racism. Most of us are here because our less-than-Norwegian ancestors emigrated from comparable mid- to late-19th century European shitholes - places that are perfectly acceptable now but that at that time were cesspits of famine, poverty and disease. *cough*mid 19th century great famine*cough*  Anything that suggests the exclusion of a group of people based on their race touches a deep well of societal guilt in the US, as it well should. We do not have the greatest track record of treating "the other" very well at all.

As an aside, 1/3 of the American population hold passports. We do not travel outside the US as much as many other people do, but we have an incredibly large and diverse country that we would be hard pressed to see in one lifetime. It's hardly necessary to go to the expense and inconvenience of an international trip when you live here and can do most anything domestically. London or Paris or Tokyo or Shanghai or Johannesburg, et al, are many times what it would cost me to go to New York or San Francisco. If there isn't a driving force sending me to any of them I would just go to San Francisco and hang out at Alcatraz and be perfectly happy with no need for a visa or an international flight. 

Some countries are indeed shitholes.

US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/04/us-stolen-land-indian-tribes-un

US Country Overshoot Day is 14 March. If all of humanity consumed like the people of US, 4.8 Earths would be needed

https://www.footprintnetwork.org/

US is the only country where climate change denial is still broadly accepted

https://matadornetwork.com/change/united-states-country-climate-change-denial-still-broadly-accepted-heres/

US is the only country where 80 % of the people live in poverty or near poverty

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/28/poverty-unemployment-rates_n_3666594.html

US  is the only developed country in the world without national health insurance, aside from Bulgaria, White Russia, and a couple small countries created by the break up of Yugoslavia

http://slippedisc.com/2017/09/an-american-musician-grapples-with-lack-of-health-insurance/

US has started 81% of the wars since WWII

http://investmentwatchblog.com/america-has-started-81-of-the-wars-since-wwii/

US is the only country to have used nuclear weapons against another country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_of_the_United_States

US is the only country that has Ku Klux Klan

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-kkk-today/

• Like 2

All of the above is relevant if he said it.

Who knows?

I held a passport until a couple of years ago. Forced to get it for a remortgage, no intention of using it. Won't be renewing (until Indy happens).

Globalisation and travel, especially the 'gap year' cunts, are shite.

**having said that, a boy I know fucked off to Thailand of late. Went to the Dam for a week of r+r, back to Thailand and has got banged up for testing positive for grass on his return. Bribed a guard for a mobile and has been ramming fb with pictures of the nick. Could be a fun 30 odd days till his release.

Indy will never happen. After last time I will expect the Tory government to make a better job of rigging the vote.

43 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Indy will never happen. After last time I will expect the Tory government to make a better job of rigging the vote.

Tin foil hat alert :rolleyes:

On 1/14/2018 at 16:01, Windsor said:

Where have you been, my lovely? I have missed you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarolAnn said:

Where have you been, my lovely? I have missed you!

I’ve been surviving. :-)

Just about. Hope you are well. :-D

Anyone thinking that DT will be killed? And my big question comes down to did he really pass the mental health test? Or are they just messing with him? If he did pass, it would FOR SURE mean that everything he said was said by a SANE person...i do not believe it. 

Also pardon my input i am still new.

• Like 1

Not sure if this thread is the place to discuss Trump's likelihood of dying but don't know where else is better.

I've always thought of him as a bad pick and can't understand how he makes the Drop 40 etc.

Then I heard a stat that made me think again. 

There have only been 44 US Presidents and 8 of them have died in office. So that's 2 in every 11 - the last one to die in office was 10 Presidents ago (JFK obviously) so one is overdue. 1 in 11 have been assassinated so again it's about time.....

When JFK was assassinated those stats were 8 out of 34 and 1 in every 8 assassinated - it's a risky job! Must be most dangerous job in the world.

I still wouldn't pick him myself (because even with these odds the window to get a hit is only one year not the full time they are in office)but not as bad a pick as I originally thought perhaps. 

The coalition that gets Trump to the Drop 40:

• Those risking him getting assassinated
  • Those who think him being 71 with poor dietary habits and a short fuse in a high-stress job means a massive heart attack coming
  • Those that don't actually think any of above will happen, but include him under wishful thinking
  • Theme teams for politicians or sex offenders

And those who struggle to come up with 20 names and just pick folk off the TV.

Listening to his rambling CPAC speech.

"Huzzah, look at all the regulations I've cut" - that would include the regulations on mentally ill people and guns, background checks, bump stocks, you know, the ones you are having to put back.

"Huzzah, look at all the jobs I'm creating" - but also losing, your tax cuts have actually led to job losses in major American firms.

"Huzzah, we are out of the Climate Accord" - no you are not, you can't possibly withdraw for years yet.

"Huzzah, my Administration has done a great job" - yeah, that's why you are sacking most of them?

Etc., Etc., Etc, rinse and repeat.

The man is delusional. George W Bush looks positively saint like compared with the damage to America's reputation, the reputation of the Presidency, and he's talking about another full term.

God help America, and god help the rest of us.

Additionally, our medical experts on the forum...

What is it with those white patches around his eyes? Is that a sign of something? Or has he been wearing swimming goggles on the golf holiday he has at the taxpayers' expense every weekend?

Apparently the white patches around eyes are called leucoderma. It doesn’t appear to be life threatening despite it’s weird appearance according to the article I read. It’s this one for those interested...

• Thanks 1

I honestly thought the white patches were just a case of a bad spray tanning :scratchhead: The more you know...

Donald Trump praises China's decision to scrap limit on presidency term

US President Donald Trump praises his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping over China's decision to eliminate the two-term presidency limit, suggesting the US could "give that a shot someday".

""He's now president for life, president for life. And he's great," Mr Trump said, according to audio of excerpts of Trump's remarks at a closed-door fundraiser in Florida aired by CNN.

"And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot someday," Mr Trump said to cheers and applause from supporters."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-04/donald-trump-praises-chinas-decision-to-scrap-presidency-limit/9507336

UPDATE: The ABC now think Trump may have been joking, in which case he successfully trolled them.

• Haha 1

Let's not forget that Julius Caesar declared himself dictator for life and died surrounded by 30 of his closest "friends" :bat: (no knife/stabbing emoji?!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

Let's not forget that Julius Caesar declared himself dictator for life and died surrounded by 30 of his closest "friends" :bat: (no knife/stabbing emoji?!)

Back Stabber emoticon (Office emoticons) Horror Movies emoticon (Horror Emoticons) Stabbing animated emoticon 

Take your knife pick.:D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

40 - 60 odd per cent of positions unfilled since the start of his presidency.

40 odd per cent turnover of staff who work for him.

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Jeff Sessions might as well start writing out his CV ...

Looks like Trump is getting ready for war with Iran, and possibly North Korea if the summit doesn't work out .Pompeo is a hawk ! 

45 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Jeff Sessions might as well start writing out his CV ...

Looks like Trump is getting ready for war with Iran, and possibly North Korea if the summit doesn't work out .Pompeo is a hawk ! 

We will all go together when we go! All suffuse with an incandescent glow. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

We will all go together when we go! All suffuse with an incandescent glow. 

A timely  reminder that Tom Lehrer - who wrote "We'll all go Together" - turns 90 in about three weeks. Highly obitable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1