Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

32 minutes ago, Toast said:

I get that from the photo, but "resident" in British English is a general term for someone who lives in a given place.  The residents of a town, village, block of flats, etc.

It doesn't imply someone aged, or who cannot look after themself. 

We would say that the President of the USA is a resident of the White House.  :D

I think it also came down to the picture being there. If it wasn't then the resident pun wouldn't make much sense.

37 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I think it also came down to the picture being there. If it wasn't then the resident pun wouldn't make much sense.

Picture or not, the "pun" doesn't work in British English.  Another example of the variations of our language.  I didn't know that "resident" in US English had those connotations.

• Like 2

Not really Oscar Wilde level of wit is it? *

The man in the in the most powerful office in the world (I can't bring myself to say "the most powerful man in the world" just can't), posting something a 12 year old would call a 10 year old out on as being childish.

Biden is 77, Trump is 74.

*For the record, this is aimed at Trump not Kenny for posting it :P.

11 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Not really Oscar Wilde level of wit is it? *

The man in the in the most powerful office in the world (I can't bring myself to say "the most powerful man in the world" just can't), posting something a 12 year old would call a 10 year old out on as being childish.

Biden is 77, Trump is 74.

*For the record, this is aimed at Trump not Kenny for posting it :P.

I don’t think the joke is age related. Biden always seems to make gaffes in public where he embarrassingly forgets key details, names etc. and Trump always brings it up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I get that from the photo, but "resident" in British English is a general term for someone who lives in a given place.  The residents of a town, village, block of flats, etc.

It doesn't imply someone aged, or who cannot look after themself. 

We would say that the President of the USA is a resident of the White House.  :D

On QT I seem to recall Tony Benn saying "Resident Reagan" in error.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don’t think the joke is age related. Biden always seems to make gaffes in public where he embarrassingly forgets key details, names etc. and Trump always brings it up.

Yeah but...

One thing about the details Trump brings up is that they're could easily be seen as projections of his own fears and the deflection of the things he's knows he's doing. He's paid attention over the years to information you can't trust (i.e. deflecting from the tonnage of his own public lies that have fueled the Washington Post's Fact Checker count. The Guardian - free to access - reported those lies in office exceeded 20,000 in July this year:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/13/donald-trump-20000-false-or-misleading-claims  ), he's also drawn attention to one rival's small hands in proportion to his body, the apparent untrustworthiness of an election etc. 

• Like 2

So the man is the most impressive he has ever been, probably the best ever. Unfortunately his use of vocabulary is poor and his general display of knowledge and understanding is lamentable. If you could define an ideal president, Trump would not meet the specification unless you were appealing to those who were gun toting idiots or those who follow the money and power. I await the creation of Trumpland after the lead of Disney, I don't believe it will succeed but he would be a good cartoon or puppet. Pinnochio would be my suggestion. Who pulls the strings.

One  might call it Trumpton, copyrights permitting.

9 hours ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I think the village people came out years ago...

The lead singer wasn't gay.

12 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

So the man is the most impressive he has ever been, probably the best ever. Unfortunately his use of vocabulary is poor and his general display of knowledge and understanding is lamentable. If you could define an ideal president, Trump would not meet the specification unless you were appealing to those who were gun toting idiots or those who follow the money and power. I await the creation of Trumpland after the lead of Disney, I don't believe it will succeed but he would be a good cartoon or puppet. Pinnochio would be my suggestion. Who pulls the strings.

One  might call it Trumpton, copyrights permitting.

The one place he'd conspicuously served as president before being elected was in The Simpsons.

He quoted a satire site, LMAO: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

He quoted a satire site, LMAO: 

Nah Twitter has “Trump Derangement Syndrome” obvs

I was generally commenting about US politics last night on Twitter and got retweeted by a pro Republican bot. It's username was just a bunch of random numbers, lol. It got reported.

• Haha 1

Hot take: Trump doesn't want to be President anymore and secretly wants to lose.

His ex-wife, Ivana, stated that Trump misses his freedom a couple of years back and that he doesn't exactly want/need a second term. Apparently the two are still close despite how Donald treated her so maybe shes the only person who's reporting on whats really going on in his head - as we all know how blatantly fake he is. 

Besides, Donald Trump loves attention and now everyone in the world knows who he is - which is the best ego booster you can get - so why bother running again?

Just a hot take from yours truly, as I really dont think he has the same get up and go attitude, thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Hot take: Trump doesn't want to be President anymore and secretly wants to lose.

His ex-wife, Ivana, stated that Trump misses his freedom a couple of years back and that he doesn't exactly want/need a second term. Apparently the two are still close despite how Donald treated her so maybe shes the only person who's reporting on whats really going on in his head - as we all know how blatantly fake he is. 

Besides, Donald Trump loves attention and now everyone in the world knows who he is - which is the best ego booster you can get - so why bother running again?

Just a hot take from yours truly, as I really dont think he has the same get up and go attitude, thoughts?

I thought that.

Watched the debate between him and Biden. Trump lacked energy compared with 2016. He wasn't hitting very hard. Just makes me think he's quite meh about the prospect of a second term.

With the COVID situation in the U.S. being as bad as it is, whoever is President for the next 4 years is the loser IMO. The Conservative Gov in the UK has gone from being widely popular to despised, even amongst their voter base, almost overnight.

Biden is likely to bring in greater restrictions and is going to have a really tough time wrestling with the economy. He'll become a figure of hate and be despised by the end of it all. Being a politician is always a thankless career, but at the moment it's particularly bad. With things as bad as they are at the moment, people ultimately get left behind. The Gov can't help everyone in every way possible. This is what many people do not understand. The Government is not a magic money tree. It can't just "create" more money and so its own resources and expenditure are limited and need to be distributed to where it thinks it needs it the most. Hence, you will please some and upset others but the ones who are left behind will ofc be the loudest. That's why it's thankless. All of this is going to get worse before it gets better, and in 10 years time I think we'll look back and wonder why we locked everything down as harshly as we did given the somewhat limited threat of COVID-19. More people are going to suffer from the effects of lockdown. Anyway, I'm digressing, but I couldn't blame any politician for not "wanting" to be there right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Government is not a magic money tree. It can't just "create" more money and so it's own resources and expenditure are limited and need to be distributed to where you see fit.

Unless the banks are in trouble?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Unless the banks are in trouble?

Not sure what you're on about. To bail them out the Gov didn't print more money – they used our tax money to do it! That's the worst part of it!

The banks were the ones who effectively printed money - they lent out far more than they had assets to cover.

39 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Melania has a cough.

Or a need for some space so she can ring the best divorce lawyer around and/or negotiate the memoir deal. 

No more FLOTUS she might just float off somewhere else

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

With the COVID situation in the U.S. being as bad as it is, whoever is President for the next 4 years is the loser IMO. The Conservative Gov in the UK has gone from being widely popular to despised, even amongst their voter base, almost overnight.

Isn't that because they're a bunch of cunts though?

• Like 4

in 10 years time I think we'll look back and wonder why we locked everything down as harshly as we did given the somewhat limited threat of COVID-19. More people are going to suffer from the effects of lockdown.

Let's hope it doesn't this long for them to realize\acknowledge that :( the authoritarian restrictions became indefensible back in late April\early May, when it became clear they do more harm than good.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I thought that.
Watched the debate between him and Biden. Trump lacked energy compared with 2016. He wasn't hitting very hard. Just makes me think he's quite meh about the prospect of a second term.
Biden is likely to bring in greater restrictions and is going to have a really tough time wrestling with the economy. He'll become a figure of hate and be despised by the end of it all. Being a politician is always a thankless career, but at the moment it's particularly bad. With things as bad as they are at the moment, people ultimately get left behind. The Gov can't help everyone in every way possible. This is what many people do not understand. The Government is not a magic money tree. It can't just "create" more money and so its own resources and expenditure are limited and need to be distributed to where it thinks it needs it the most. Hence, you will please some and upset others but the ones who are left behind will ofc be the loudest. That's why it's thankless. All of this is going to get worse before it gets better, and in 10 years time I think we'll look back and wonder why we locked everything down as harshly as we did given the somewhat limited threat of COVID-19. More people are going to suffer from the effects of lockdown. Anyway, I'm digressing, but I couldn't blame any politician for not "wanting" to be there right now.

I don't know whether Trump wants to win again or not - if he didn't, why has he rushed back to the campaign trail so quickly and so frequently? He had a gilt-edged excuse to take a week off but has refused (and it's not a campaign team decision, he does what he likes and they'd probably stand a better chance of winning if he stayed at home). I entirely agree though that if Biden wins he's got a thankless task ahead. Trump has seemingly made it his mission in the past month to discredit any response to the virus and anybody involved in it (Dr Fauci in particular is getting pilloried). That attitude isn't going to go away on November 4th, all his supporters are going to continue ignoring social distancing and masks and will resist any increased restrictions Biden tries to bring in. The FBI have just thwarted a plot to kidnap the Governor of Michigan and put her on trial for treason for trying to bring in a state-wide lockdown. Those nutters aren't going to go away just because Biden's elected - if Trump had acted responsibly at any point in this crisis, particularly after contracting Covid himself, the USA would be a lot better off than it is. But of course once he loses, it doesn't matter if the things he did make Biden's life difficult, it'll be his fault if deaths increase and he can't wrestle it back.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Toast, the Tories lack of support is not due to the virus but their incompetence. The suggestion they were widely popular is also suspect: they won solely on a Get Brexit Done slogan, helped by a woefully weak Labour party. It got them a majority but as time's gone on they've proven themselves increasingly incompetent and that's not being partisan in the middle of a national crisis. The only reason there's talk of a new national lockdown (and I talk as someone who's in Tier 3 restrictions) is because Test and Trace continues to be a disaster and the public are rapidly losing trust in the government's advice, which changes even more regularly than weekly. They failed to get on top of the virus early enough, they lumbered from one crisis to another, they dismantled the virus response service (Public Health England) and replaced it with a businesswoman with no medical experience, there's no evidence of planning and/or communication (when North East restrictions were imposed last week, one Sunderland MP was informed of the meeting a minute after it started and, having joined, informed the meeting that there were THREE MPs from Sunderland, not just her. In one of the Greater Manchester briefings, the Shadow Foreign Secretary, MP for Wigan, wasn't told it was happening). Lancashire was installed at Tier 2 on Monday and by Thursday we were moving up to Tier 3, despite having been under enhanced restrictions throughout the summer - those Tier 3 restrictions, by the way, are less restrictive in some ways than the ones we had before! Anyway, as you say, none of this is relevant to discussion of Trump.

On the final point, it's all well and good saying we're overreacting, but it's impossible to say the long-term threat at this moment in time. The longest somebody has possibly lived post-Covid so far is 10 months, if they caught it in December (let's say a year if the suggestions it emerged slightly earlier are true). The long-term effects of this disease are entirely unknowable, there are some very odd symptoms (sticky blood for instance) that are still being explored. I hope you're right and that in 10 years, we all think we overreacted and that the threat wasn't as bad as it could have been and that we can prepare much better for the next pandemic whenever it comes, but who knows. The consequences are pretty severe any way you cut it.

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Melania has a cough.

'Out of an abundance of caution' - has someone told the rest of her family what that means? :facepalm::lol:

John (Rotten) Lydon - who became a US citizen in 2013 is voting for him because Bidon isn't enough of a man to get the job done - https://www.nme.com/news/music/john-lydon-threw-planned-public-image-ltd-album-look-after-wife-2797707?fbclid=IwAR0yClFIV4oKADIk82DnUP4Ui3nOzR3T75L1sxPr_35_AZPhgnlXqeZB8JM

Also might post that link in Family of the Famous for fairly obvious reasons