Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It's been suggested that impeachment hearings could be held to gather evidence in order for him to be barred from standing for public office in the future. That way, he wouldn't be able to run in 2024 anyway. Same may happen to Don Jr. Of course, if the DC Prosecutor chooses to pursue Trump as the agitator of the riot, then plenty of evidence to that effect would be gathered that way also.

Not as simple as that. Impeachment requires a supermajority not a simple majority - 2/3rds of the Senate, so 67 votes not 51. Currently, the Senate is made up of 51 Republicans, 46 Democrats and 2 Independents who vote with the Democrats (Bernie Sanders being one of them). The remaining seat is currently vacant and belongs to David Perdue, the Senator from Georgia whose election has at this time not yet been decided (as the Democrats haven't been sworn in yet: Kelly Loeffler, the other Senator from Georgia who also faced election gets to continue in her seat as she's technically a caretaker for the seat, not a sitting Senator, despite the fact she has just lost an election - that's the simple explanation anyway). It's not yet certain when Warnock and Ossoff will be sworn in and until that happens, the Democrats are two votes further down.

So at present, they'd need the 48 votes they currently have, plus another 18 Republican votes (66 would be enough for two thirds in a 99-seat Senate). If the two Georgia seats were filled then they'd need 17 Republican votes. Murkowski, Collins and Romney is 3. That leaves 14 more out of the remaining 47 or 48. Ben Sasse has suggested he thinks there reason to impeach this time, but where are the other votes going to come from? Plenty think it's not worth the personal political cost to them since he's out in a fortnight anyway.

Pelosi is getting on with it, the article for 'Incitement of Insurrection' will be introduced on Monday and voted on on Tuesday or Wednesday, but it's unlikely to get any further as McConnell, for now, still controls the Senate and Lindsay Graham the Judiciary Committee. They only have to delay a week and it's Inauguration Day. Of course, as discussed he may be impeached post-inauguration, but I doubt it. Best chance of him going is either he's convinced to resign (unlikely) or Pence invokes the 25th Amendment (also seems unlikely, like everyone else, the Cabinet are just waiting for Inauguration Day, not to mention half the Cabinet Secretaries have been sacked or quit since the election so it's not entirely clear who's left to vote to invoke 25 anyway).

Considering the size of the Republican field in 2015/16, there may well be 18 Republican senators with an interest in getting Trump barred from running for or holding federal office in the future...

• Like 1

Any bets on a Trump supporter trying to top Biden on the big day?

26 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Any bets on a Trump supporter trying to top Biden on the big day?

I didn't know he swung that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

Considering the size of the Republican field in 2015/16, there may well be 18 Republican senators with an interest in getting Trump barred from running for or holding federal office in the future...

Impeachment doesn't mean you're federally barred from office, nor is it a requirement for someone to be federally barred from office. The two things are separate. As I said before, one of the arguments being made for pursuing impeachment is that it would be a useful fact-finding exercise if you were looking to bar him from office. This could be achieved in other ways and since he is being investigated in several states and now DC for inciting a riot in the Capitol, not to mention any federal crimes he may or may not pardon himself for, and the fact he has faced an impeachment trial already in his term, I wouldn't say another attempt is crucial to this aim. Not to mention, as I pointed out, it is nigh on impossible for a impeachment trial to be conducted within a week (the House could vote on Wednesday, the Inauguration is a week on Wednesday).

It's a clever line, but lacks any understanding of the American political system. There are not 18 Republican Senators who entertain thoughts of running for President in 4 years time. There were 17 candidates in 2016 and only 5 were Senators and one wasn't even still in the Senate. Add to that that 74 million people voted for Trump 3 months ago and regardless of the events of the past week, you're going to have to convince a lot of people who voted for Trump that you deserve the nomination. Voting to impeach their leader is probably not your best strategy for winning the nomination. Finally, what right-minded Republican Senator wants to try and pick their way through the civil war that is about to engulf the Republican party and try and form a winning coalition in 2024?

In short, there are not going to be 18 Republican senators who will vote to convict Trump, even if there were it wouldn't bar him from office, and even if it did, the Senate won't hold an impeachment trial this side of Inauguration, after which time I doubt they'll bother anyway.

• Like 1

I think he just meant within the party

4 hours ago, Windsor said:

I honestly don't think the Republican party will ever let Trump run for President again-  he committed political suicide the other day, and that's that- plus, a lot of younger, more qualified candidates coming up the pike.

• Like 2

Anyone remember what the J stands for :huh:

6 minutes ago, Miranda lass said:

Anyone remember what the J stands for :huh:

John.  You clearly have access to 'tinterweb. Google is your friend. 

• Like 1

So not only is his surname a euphemism for fart, his middle name is one for toilet.

6 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Looks like it's going to be yet another criminal record for Jay Kay. Or Jake A, as he's now calling himself.

for crimes against fashion?:unsure:

Concerns are mounting that Donald Trump's mental health is detiorating fast and that he might  launch a nuclear war in his final days in office... https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/donald-trumps-power-to-launch-nuclear-strike-raises-concerns-2349924 I'm not going to lie I'm starting to get seriously worried about this !   Please God let there be somebody to stop this mad man ! :unsure:

He's not going to do that. Pelosi's just stirring up drama (don't blame her) but there isn't a magic nuke button with nothing in between it and one person in a bad mood (even a President).

27 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Concerns are mounting that Donald Trump's mental health is detiorating fast and that he might  launch a nuclear war in his final days in office... https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/donald-trumps-power-to-launch-nuclear-strike-raises-concerns-2349924 I'm not going to lie I'm starting to get seriously worried about this !   Please God let there be somebody to stop this mad man ! :unsure:

Fuck off you arse biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Beyond unrealistic.

• Like 1

How very curious. Is this Trump's resignation or has the State Department  been hacked ?

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, jcc said:

How very curious. Is this Trump's resignation or has the State Department  been hacked ?

Doubtful. It hasn’t been 7 PM anywhere in the US yet today

6 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

Doubtful. It hasn’t been 7 PM anywhere in the US yet today

8 minutes ago, jcc said:

Edited by a disgruntled employee, apparently.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Do you ever consider that your life might be less worrisome if you stayed offline? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcc said:

I think some idiot hacked into their website.How annoying! Just got all our hopes up for nothing ! :angry:

11 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I just pray you are all proved right and we are still here in 9 days time 
! Just in case I'm thinking of buying one of these..http://uniquepropertybulletin.co.uk/category/nuclear-bunker/ 

Do not worry. We're still here in 9 days. No nukes will be launched.

• Like 1