gcreptile

Deathless Days

Every day, I check Wikipedia's list of daily deaths:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2015

I used to think that there is never any day with less than 7 deaths per day*. But that belief was refuted when the 6th of November only had 6 deaths (there's almost no chance left another death appears).

Sometimes it takes a while for a death to be known and to be noted, but so far, the 20th of December only had one death. Could this be the least deadly day ever?

*=That rule is not true for years prior to 2010, because Wikipedia wasn't yet as careful and thorough with their death notifications.

• Like 1

I used to think that there is never any day with less than 7 deaths per day*. But that belief was refuted when the 6th of November only had 6 deaths (there's almost no chance left another death appears).

Sometimes it takes a while for a death to be known and to be noted, but so far, the 20th of December only had one death. Could this be the least deadly day ever?

*=That rule is not true for years prior to 2010, because Wikipedia wasn't yet as careful and thorough with their death notifications.

Have you been viewing that page on your phone? I've found that if I view it via the "mobile view" option rather than desktop, it doesn't update.

• Like 1

Have you been viewing that page on your phone? I've found that if I view it via the "mobile view" option rather than desktop, it doesn't update.

No, I can already see Baron Ezra's death and the recent update for the 23rd.

Funnily, I literally just found another obit which isn't on Wikipedia yet, Angela McEwan:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-angela-mcewan-nebraska-dead-20151222-story.html

But she doesn't have a Wikipedia page, so it's not sure someone is going to add her.

• Like 1

In her book The Children of Men, in which children suddenly stopped being born, P.D James wrote that it was the country's midwives and doctors who were the first to realise there was something wrong. If the opposite happens and people stop dying, I think that members of this forum would be among the first to notice.

• Like 3

Well, the 20th was only a few days ago. Surely a few more deaths will be added.

• Like 1

I noticed that the 20th just has one death listed under. I just refreshed the page and saw someone had updated it stating that Brooke McCarter has died

He's on the left in this photo

4424ba139098f357ca923c5949ab510e.jpg

• Like 1

I noticed that the 20th just has one death listed under. I just refreshed the page and saw someone had updated it stating that Brooke McCarter has died

He's on the left in this photo

4424ba139098f357ca923c5949ab510e.jpg

The edit was reverted because there was no source given that Brooke McCarter died. His death was announced on fb, which iHorror used in its obituary:

http://ihorror.com/rest-in-peace-the-lost-boys-star-brooke-mccarter/

UPDATE: Just as I was typing, his entry was placed back on the recent deaths page, using the iHorror source.

• Like 1

Guest XXX

It's still very possible that another death will eventually appear under November 6. French basketball player Jacques Perrier died in June, but the Deaths in June 2015 page was edited to reflect it 6 days ago.

Huh. I never knew that link existed .... well, I never bothered to open it. Too much fluff for my liking, but I see a few no one posted and that irks me NOW knowing this is a decent resource a couple days after the fact.

SC​

• Like 1

Currently nobody has died on the 7th but one person on the 8th.

• Like 1

The first of May only has 4 notable deaths so far. It's a contender for a record.

• Like 1

It's still very possible that another death will eventually appear under November 6. French basketball player Jacques Perrier died in June, but the Deaths in June 2015 page was edited to reflect it 6 days ago.

You were right.A 7th death appeared since the last time I checked (March?). Some fataility must have taken about half a year to get noticed.

• Like 1

The first of May only has 4 notable deaths so far. It's a contender for a record.

It's now 8. Just took a few days to note some.

• Like 1

Still 0 deaths under June 11th even though the day's ended/almost over in most of the world.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Still 0 deaths under June 11th even though the day's ended/almost over in most of the world.

Well, now there's one ;-). But then, I noticed an inflation in notable names. In 2016, the magic number of 7 notable deaths a day was only in danger of being missed on one day, when the 7th death, after months of waiting, was some North Korean official (and it was only the day the death was announced, not necessarily the date of death itself). However, this year, I'm not aware that there was a single day with fewer than 10 notable deaths. That makes today so special. But then sundays are usually slower than other days, because weekend.

• Like 2

August 25th so far has only 5 names. Could it be a rare day with fewer than 7 notable deaths? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

August 25th so far has only 5 names. Could it be a rare day with fewer than 7 notable deaths? 

Five 'Notable' is pushing it.
Anyway, Rollie Massimino died, make it 6.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Skip Prokop is the 7th today.

• Like 1

Not 30th of August, but 25th! "The day Rich Piana died".... still only 5 notable deaths.

• Like 1

Interestingly Sept 1 had no notable deaths in 2016, as per Wiki.   Not even anyone nearly as important as Rich Piana.

• Like 1

I would like to present the idea that we take some hack like Rich Piana and find a way to post about him in EVERY thread.  Oh sure, 99.8% of the posts will be contrived, but 100% will be amusing.
Just pick the person and off we go!
SC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Interestingly Sept 1 had no notable deaths in 2016, as per Wiki.   Not even anyone nearly as important as Rich Piana.

What are you on about? There's are lots of notable deaths under September 1st 2016...

• Like 2

Edit: removed

Edit: Ha, wrong thread! Had two Deathlist windows open...

• Like 1

September 2nd 2017 has only five deaths too for now.

• Like 1