RadGuy

Ideas And Possibilities For 2017

This one is an odd one but has anyone thought of one of Henry Fonda's kids. One of could have inherited his heart disease and Jane is currently the age he died at and Peter is going to be that age next year. If I would say one will inherit it I would say Peter.

Guest Guested

Very impressed by how good Michael Crawford looked on Sport Relief for a 74 year old - he could easily pass for someone 20 years younger and still does his own stunts. Hope he continues to prosper.

Saw summat in the paper about playwright Dario Fo turning 90. Still making sense and healthy but - also - highly obitable.

Oh aye, and this tender years terminal case. Dodgy either way, obviously, but should he make his 18th birthday doubtless a few hereabouts will find the temptation too much.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/19/im-16-five-months-ago-i-was-diagnosed-with-terminal-cancer

Oh aye, and this tender years terminal case. Dodgy either way, obviously, but should he make his 18th birthday doubtless a few hereabouts will find the temptation too much.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/19/im-16-five-months-ago-i-was-diagnosed-with-terminal-cancer

Cases like this are a primarily example of why DDP rules needed changing, it was never intended to include people like that poor bairn. It's a celebrity death pool for famous people, not anyone whose had any coverage of their illness in the history of man. This year I will be compiling an alternative DDP leaderboard at the end of the year which excludes anybody whose team includes non-famous people.

Cases like this are a primarily example of why DDP rules needed changing, it was never intended to include people like that poor bairn. It's a celebrity death pool for famous people, not anyone whose had any coverage of their illness in the history of man. This year I will be compiling an alternative DDP leaderboard at the end of the year which excludes anybody whose team includes non-famous people.

I'd dispute that, given the very first DDP ever had an 11 year old score points. That suggests it's always been considered a free for all.

I'd dispute that, given the very first DDP ever had an 11 year old score points. That suggests it's always been considered a free for all.

You're opening a can of worms, Deathray, though a rule requiring one to be famous other than for their illness is typical in most other DPs.

But you sound like the whiny bitches in MY DP I run, whaaaa that person isn't 'famous'. What the fuck is 'fame'?

For the record, I've never heard fuck all about 90% of the people we post about in here. For my money, being elected doesn't make someone 'famous'. Why would anyone in Britain know who the FUCK Steve LaTourette is? But no one flinches when he is on a team. I'll grant you I've NO business receiving points for Hassan Asif.

I can give you dozens and DOZENS of names of people I'd never heard of in my life and never would have if they weren't ready to die.

Jenny Diski?

Peter Esterhazy?

Jeannie Little?

OJ Brigance?

Ray Columbus?

All nobodies. And all on Sir Creep's Shadow List -- and why? Cuz they're dying and that fact has been made public, nothing more. So who is going to determine who is 'famous'? The only criteria you can use is demanding the obit be published in a limited supply of authorities. I should say I believe the list DDP uses is TOO GENEROUS (though it SHOULD include the NYTimes, but I get it, it's a UK thaaang). Cut it down to half a dozen major news sources and that will eliminate the fluff of some guitar player named Fekett from some band no one ever heard of. No one would dare list them, they'd know better.

Why should Rob Ford be allowed? He was a mayor, big whoop. Do you have a population minimum for cities or can I list the mayor of Climax, French Lick, and Intercourse (MI, IN, PA respectively)? I think the obit requirement takes them outta play, and that is enough. I agree a little clean-up is in order, and I say add a rule saying 1) you can't be famous simply cuz you're dying (ahhh, but who is Andrew smith then?) and 2) REDUCE the sources allowed even further, be Draconian as hell about it if you want 'real famous people only'. I think all that does is dummy down DP to the level of those who aren't willing to do their homework on a daily basis. Does the shoe feel like it fits?

*descends soap box*

SC

You're opening a can of worms, Deathray, though a rule requiring one to be famous other than for their illness is typical in most other DPs.

But you sound like the whiny bitches in MY DP I run, whaaaa that person isn't 'famous'. What the fuck is 'fame'?

For the record, I've never heard fuck all about 90% of the people we post about in here. For my money, being elected doesn't make someone 'famous'. Why would anyone in Britain know who the FUCK Steve LaTourette is? But no one flinches when he is on a team. I'll grant you I've NO business receiving points for Hassan Asif.

I can give you dozens and DOZENS of names of people I'd never heard of in my life and never would have if they weren't ready to die.

Jenny Diski?

Peter Esterhazy?

Jeannie Little?

OJ Brigance?

Ray Columbus?

All nobodies. And all on Sir Creep's Shadow List -- and why? Cuz they're dying and that fact has been made public, nothing more. So who is going to determine who is 'famous'? The only criteria you can use is demanding the obit be published in a limited supply of authorities. I should say I believe the list DDP uses is TOO GENEROUS (though it SHOULD include the NYTimes, but I get it, it's a UK thaaang). Cut it down to half a dozen major news sources and that will eliminate the fluff of some guitar player named Fekett from some band no one ever heard of. No one would dare list them, they'd know better.

Why should Rob Ford be allowed? He was a mayor, big whoop. Do you have a population minimum for cities or can I list the mayor of Climax, French Lick, and Intercourse (MI, IN, PA respectively)? I think the obit requirement takes them outta play, and that is enough. I agree a little clean-up is in order, and I say add a rule saying 1) you can't be famous simply cuz you're dying (ahhh, but who is Andrew smith then?) and 2) REDUCE the sources allowed even further, be Draconian as hell about it if you want 'real famous people only'. I think all that does is dummy down DP to the level of those who aren't willing to do their homework on a daily basis. Does the shoe feel like it fits?

*descends soap box*

SC

Aye, thought I'd light the touch paper and enjoy the ensuing warmth. Our precocious tender-years terminal case here has further muddied the famous for being ill waters by becoming a published author with clear opinions on subjects that have nowt much to do with his illness; and he's shifted a fair tonnage of his books.

So, he'll get press coverage as and when and if he sees his 18th birthday...Maybe jokerage too.

The real tester would be how many people would risk a pick next Christmas before he turns 18?

Why should Rob Ford be allowed? He was a mayor, big whoop. Do you have a population minimum for cities or can I list the mayor of Climax, French Lick, and Intercourse (MI, IN, PA respectively)?

Ford's antics before his current difficulties got mentioned on Dutch prime time TV news. That's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Jenny Diski?

Peter Esterhazy?

Jeannie Little?

OJ Brigance?

Ray Columbus?

*descends soap box*

SC

Not a bad argument until the part about Rob Ford. Mayor Ford wasn't a celebrity because he was mayor of Toronto. He was a celebrity because he openly smoked crack and became a sensation internationally. If Rob Ford isn't a celebrity, I don't know who is.

• Like 1

Jenny Diski?

Peter Esterhazy?

Jeannie Little?

OJ Brigance?

Ray Columbus?

*descends soap box*

SC

Not a bad argument until the part about Rob Ford. Mayor Ford wasn't a celebrity because he was mayor of Toronto. He was a celebrity because he openly smoked crack and became a sensation internationally. If Rob Ford isn't a celebrity, I don't know who is.

So, we're back to square one then. If we can't agree on what a "celebrity" is we can set rules about what qualifies as an obit and then use these to run a dead pool.

• Like 1

Jenny Diski?

Peter Esterhazy?

Jeannie Little?

OJ Brigance?

Ray Columbus?

*descends soap box*

SC

So, we're back to square one then. If we can't agree on what a "celebrity" is we can set rules about what qualifies as an obit and then use these to run a dead pool.

Sounds like a deadpool I've vaguely heard of, with the name of a city down in England? Salisbury Deadpool? Nottingham? Leicester? It'll come back to me.

Sure its run by a Johnny Cash fan too...

:P

• Like 2

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

adrian0719, on 31 Mar 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:snapback.png

Chris Sager's cancer has returned.

Christ sake he was just bragging it was eradicated what, a couple months ago? Reaper was giggling it seems

SC

Craig Sager has leukemia yet again.

• Like 1

One for 2017 DL could be Michael Anderson Director of the 1976 sci-fi film Logan's Run and 1956 epic Around the World in 80 Days

Dont know if somehone mentioned actor Alan Young, one possibility too for next years DL.

• Like 1

Dont know if somehone mentioned actor Alan Young, one possibility too for next years DL.

I don't know Mr. Young, but the guy seems too young to be in the list.

War veteran and Guardian columnist/TV pundit Harry Leslie Smith has lost quite a bit of weight, in my opinion:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/mar/23/we-welcomed-refugees-in-1945-we-cant-abandon-them-today-video

Yeah, but Kerry Katona does that every time she needs a story in the supermarket tabloids.

• Like 2

War veteran and Guardian columnist/TV pundit Harry Leslie Smith has lost quite a bit of weight, in my opinion:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/mar/23/we-welcomed-refugees-in-1945-we-cant-abandon-them-today-video

Yeah, but Kerry Katona does that every time she needs a story in the supermarket tabloids.

I like Kerry Katona. I'd still smash her back doors in...

...even though they're always unlocked.

Author Beverly Cleary is turning 100 in a couple weeks. She's not necessarily in failing health other than being ancient, but certainly one to consider if you are out of ideas come 2017.

Guest Andy

Surely Ken Dodd at 88 is likely to go to the great variety theatre in terms sky soon?

Guest I meant in the sky

Surely Ken Dodd at 88 is likely to go to the great variety theatre in terms sky soon?

Don't call him Shirley.

• Like 1