RadGuy

Ideas And Possibilities For 2017

I was pretty surprised when I found out. Sure, he was 91, but he'd been mentioned a lot recently in my life.

First Shaun's post that you quoted from last month, then me contemplating putting him on my Shadow List (which of course I didn't do), I had just visited his Wikipedia page a few days ago, and yesterday I saw a quote from him on Twitter.

Speaking of Shadow Lists, I chose the wrong elderly Polish man with the initials Z.B. on there.

Days of Our Life/One life to Live actress Kassie Wesley DePaiva diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

Supposedly 'cancer free'

SC

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/kassie-depaiva-cancer-free/

Good news. I know why.

I want to bring attention to an elephant in the room among writers, which is the health of Philip Pullman.

For those who don't know of him, he's a writer of young adult novels, and a highly regarded one at that.

Anyhow, here's what I know:

1. He's ill. Apparently very ill.

2. In 2010, he had to pull out of the Hay festival, at short notice, due to ill health.

3. In 2012, he had to cancel an appearance with Neil Gaiman. Gaiman made this tweet about it at the time.

4. Circa 2013, he was involved in a photo shoot for the BBC, but wasn't expected to make it due to being "seriously ill", and was in massive amounts of pain.

5. Last year, he made the following comments to The New Statesman:

I shall vote for the National Health Action Party, because the NHS has been very good to me in recent years. That won’t win, either, but it feels less trivial to vote for it. But what I want above all is a voting system that allows the votes of the people to be reflected accurately in the make-up of parliament. If that means deals and coalitions, fine; but please let’s get away from the current arrangement, which is no better than a lottery.

In short, he's ill, he's been ill for a number of years, and a lot of in the know folk are worried about him, but I don't know specifically what's up.

Surprise! He's actually finished the long-promised follow-up to 'His Dark Materials'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38978023

Interview here for your consideration. I struggled to hear him, but that might just be poor BBC volume levels, as I often find their videos to be lacking in that respect,

On 5/11/2016 at 12:12, RadGuy said:

Joseph Wapner, the first judge on "The People's Court", will be 98 next year.

Had no idea he was still alive.

And he is dead.

Makes it 5-2 in favor of my list vs. the Deathlist! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

And he is dead.

Makes it 5-2 in favor of my list vs. the Deathlist! 

He wouldn't have been famous enough for this forum.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 19:55, rockhopper penguin said:

Kaufman is fine. He won't be standing again and can't be arsed travelling to London to get beat on every vote. More profitable working on his memoirs.

Told you.

• Like 1

I didn't as my team was already decided on by then and I was content with my 20. 

The point is that I had it on very good authority that he was gravely ill. I'd imagine the DL committee would have taken my info more seriously if you hadn't replied saying that he was "fine". Why did you intentionally try to deceive people?

46 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I didn't as my team was already decided on by then and I was content with my 20. 

The point is that I had it on very good authority that he was gravely ill. I'd imagine the DL committee would have taken my info more seriously if you hadn't replied saying that he was "fine". Why did you intentionally try to deceive people?

I think you credit me with more influence than I possess. However a simple glance at my By-Election Bingo selections should have tipped you off. There's no news like fake news.

I'm shocked. No one has ever tried to deceive anyone else about the  health of a pick close to new year in the entire history of this forum*.

*insert link to the Lee Evans Gambit here, I can't find it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm shocked. No one has ever tried to deceive anyone else about the  health of a pick close to new year in the entire history of this forum*.

*insert link to the Lee Evans Gambit here, I can't find it.

Sometimes they succeed in people falling for bait, but sometimes they turn to be a good pick after all.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, should this thread be locked? 

Harley Race is in a nursing home...

11 minutes ago, joeyruss said:

Speaking of which, should this thread be locked? 

I suppose you're right. Thread locked.