Grim Reaper

38. Prunella Scales

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

I had no idea Connie Booth was 81.

It's somewhat surprising as she looked a lot younger than mid to late 30s in Fawlty Towers. Her character was certainly supposed to be younger. My favourite Connie Booth trivia is she's married to the son of the bloke who played the Lion in the Wizard of Oz. 

• Like 1

Apparently she's currently on a cruise according to their son, actor Samuel West on Twitter writing about Timothy West's 88th birthday today:

"On his two-large-womenth birthday, the large woman is nowhere near singing. I’ve just worked with him for the sixth time, and he’s away on a cruise with Ma this week. As she says, “I don’t always know where I’m going, but I always enjoy getting there.”

• Like 1

I am still so fascinated with regards to what her type of dementia is.Most types after 22 years render the sufferer bedridden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, openviews said:

Prunella Scales, 90, makes rare outing with husband Timothy West, 88, at The Oldie of the Year Awards amid ongoing dementia battle

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11462843/Prunella-Scales-90-makes-rare-outing-Timothy-West-88-Oldie-Year-Awards.html

Senility/heart failure is going to get her before the dementia does at this rate.

Still mobile and in good spirits. Honestly think we should drop her for next year and replace her with a nonagenarian actress who is in a worse state.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Senility/heart failure is going to get her before the dementia does at this rate.

Still mobile and in good spirits. Honestly think we should drop her for next year and replace her with a nonagenarian actress who is in a worse state.

Nah, winter flu or covid could do for her just as easy 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yeah. She could still have a couple of years left. She must have an unusual type of dementia to get twenty years without progressing into housebound stage. 

• Like 1

I think the question you have to ask is not will she die next year (she may) but are there not 50 celebrities in worse health than she is currently? I think based on everything we've heard lately you'd have to conclude she is worth dropping. She'll die tomorrow now I've said that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Deathrace said:

I think the question you have to ask is not will she die next year (she may) but are there not 50 celebrities in worse health than she is currently? I think based on everything we've heard lately you'd have to conclude she is worth dropping. She'll die tomorrow now I've said that. 

David Graham and Glynis Johns are much better punts from the acting world.

(or Clint Eastwood, if we're to believe the rumours that his death is imminent).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

(or Clint Eastwood, if we're to believe the rumours that his death is imminent).

I'd sub Scales for Vanessa Redgrave 

• Like 1

I've said it before and i'll say it again, she should never have been put on the list back in 2016, dementia is not a death sentence. Dropping her now is in my opinion too late she has been on the list for 6 years and if they drop her now and she dies they'd never hear the end of it. She'll be on til she croaks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

She even looks better than her husband

They could both easily pass for ten years younger than they are. They feel like a very devoted couple and I expect them to go around the same time. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

or Clint Eastwood, if we're to believe the rumours that his death is imminent).

What rumours?

33 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

I'd sub Scales for Vanessa Redgrave 

I agree Scales should be dropped but Redgrave seemed better than I had imagined in recent photos. Both supreme candidates for 2024 however. 

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Johns definitely. Graham actually still sounds pretty good for 97, despite his earlier stroke; there may be better candidates out there.

Other punts from the acting world more deserving of a position next year than Scales at this point include: Joanne Woodward, June Spencer, Robert Wagner, Liza Minnelli, James Earl Jones, Vera Miles, Joan Plowright, Eva Marie Saint, Chaim Topol and Michael Caine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Other punts from the acting world more deserving of a position next year than Scales at this point include: Joanne Woodward, June Spencer, Robert Wagner, Liza Minnelli, James Earl Jones, Vera Miles, Joan Plowright, Eva Marie Saint, Chaim Topol and Michael Caine.

Joanne Woodward should definitely return. Has had dementia for around 15 years and I'm suprised she's still alive. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

What rumours?

Have you been fast asleep? :lol:

Use the search function. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, arghton said:

Joanne Woodward should definitely return. Has had dementia for around 15 years and I'm suprised she's still alive. 

Didn't Monica Vitti have Alzheimer's for like 30 years before her death?

10 minutes ago, When The said:

Didn't Monica Vitti have Alzheimer's for like 30 years before her death?

That too was an extreme case, 26 years is a long time to live with Alzheimer's. Woodward is older than Vitti by a year, too, and probably won't last much longer, she certainly won't be here 10 years from now, frankly I don't think she wants to be, Alzheimer's for 15 years must cause unimaginable suffering for her. My grandfather was diagnosed with it a few years ago. I, personally, cannot begin to conceive how she must be, having had it about five times as long. 

• Like 2

My grandfather had it and we had to move him into a nursing home and he only had it for a couple of years and that was heartbreaking.

• Sad 2

Not quite sure why I can't embed tweets like I used to, but there's an up to date photo of Prunella in Sam West's tweet. She looks ok.

Ma in Millbank Pizza Express. New hat, decorated by grandchildren

• Like 1

She looks like she could go on for a few more years yet. Can’t be many people 19 years after a dementia diagnosis who can still be taken out to public places and presumably be able to eat in public even with some assistance. 

• Like 1

Whatever the state of her mental powers which one assumes aren't great, based on recent photos she could physically pass for ten years younger than she is. 

• Like 1

What chance do people reckon of her surviving John Cleese? Sybil and Basil have done very well to still be going nearly 50 years after the first series of Fawlty Towers all things considered. 

• Like 1

One wonders what she'll make of John Cleese's decision to revive Fawlty Towers if she's able to give an opinion on it. 

• Like 3