Grim Reaper

8. Sandy Gall

Oh right, I was thinking: what did Sandy Gall do to the Yanks?

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh right, I was thinking: what did Sandy Gall do to the Yanks?

Nothing: hence why Yanks think he's a boring pick. 

Anyone? No?

(I'll grab my coat...)

On 20/06/2017 at 16:28, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I have to disagree. He is well known and considered a villain in the U.S. 

And he remains a well informed critic of U.S. policy: https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2012/jan/29/sandy-gall-afghanistan-interview-charity

12 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

No, I was talking about David Rockefeller. 

Sorry, but - either way - reports of the dullness of this thread are a little unfair. Sandy's more yer thinker's dead pool wank fodder, or summat

• Like 2

My opinion:

It's OK to judge a pick as dull if there is rarely any news or information on that person.

It's not OK to judge a pick as dull just because you have no knowledge of that person.

• Like 6

I didn`t have much knowledge of himwhen I first saw him on the list although the name sounded familiar.Google is a great tool for that problem.

I didn't know much about Pirsig, but I had vaguely heard of his book and I have since read it. Whereas Gall is fairly known (and respected?) in this part of the world. Certainly he passes the "my mum's heard of him" test. Perhaps he's a bit healthy for a spot on the list - I dunno - but hes fairly traditional Deathlist stock.

• Like 1

You'd have thought Gall might be an outside punt for a knighthood if he stays alive for the next few years, tbh.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

You'd have thought Gall might be an outside punt for a knighthood if he stays alive for the next few years, tbh.

He wouldn't be the first Sir Sandy

Fairly sure Sir Sandy Bruce Lockhart (sometime head honcho of Kent County Council) got one

Not only did he present the evening news when Alastair Burnet let anyone get a word in, Sandy Gall was also a frontline war correspondent for 50 years, covering everything from Vietnam to Iraq, and was one of the few Western journalists at various warzones like the Six Day war, for example. As a roving reporter earlier in his life, he covered the Mau Mau Rising (ie helped expose the British atrocities, and Suez, among many others. He also got arrested in Uganda for trying to uncover Idi Amin's crimes, is one of the foremost living authorities on Afghanistan (saying he respects the countries ability to repel any invasion), and made a number of interesting documentaries, not only on his exploits and charity work but also figures like the guy from Born Free. He also did a lot of charity work to raise money for people disabled in Afghanistan by bombs (all of them, be they Russian, Taliban or Western sent...), is a extensive whisky drinking Scot, and claims that live TV is actually scarier than facing live bullets on the ground.

Also you know what he did after escaping a secret police camp in Uganda, after 3 days of being threatened with death? Reported on it immediately to the outside world, while still in Uganda. Dude's about as amazing as a war correspondent can be.

That people on here don't know about him is their own fault and not his.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, msc said:

Not only did he present the evening news when Alastair Burnet let anyone get a word in, Sandy Gall was also a frontline war correspondent for 50 years, covering everything from Vietnam to Iraq, and was one of the few Western journalists at various warzones like the Six Day war, for example. As a roving reporter earlier in his life, he covered the Mau Mau Rising (ie helped expose the British atrocities, and Suez, among many others. He also got arrested in Uganda for trying to uncover Idi Amin's crimes, is one of the foremost living authorities on Afghanistan (saying he respects the countries ability to repel any invasion), and made a number of interesting documentaries, not only on his exploits and charity work but also figures like the guy from Born Free. He also did a lot of charity work to raise money for people disabled in Afghanistan by bombs (all of them, be they Russian, Taliban or Western sent...), is a extensive whisky drinking Scot, and claims that live TV is actually scarier than facing live bullets on the ground.

Also you know what he did after escaping a secret police camp in Uganda, after 3 days of being threatened with death? Reported on it immediately to the outside world, while still in Uganda. Dude's about as amazing as a war correspondent can be.

That people on here don't know about him is their own fault and not his.

Yeah but...

He's never even met Katie Price or the Kardashians.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah but...

He's never even met Katie Price or the Kardashians.

Has he ever met Chance The Rapper or Posh Spice

• Like 1

My favourite Sandy Gall story is that the producer of the News at Ten used to summon Reginald Bosanquet to his office at about 9pm every night and make him walk along a line he had marked out on the floor. If he was unable to walk the line the producer would yell Send for Sandy Gall.

Which may explain while we are still discussing Sandy Gall, 30 years after Reggie was pushing up the daisies. 

18 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Has he ever met Chance The Rapper or Posh Spice

maryportfuncity and CaptainChorizzo, I love how you are trying to make me look like a shallow Millenial Yank (I'm 27 btw!!) even though I had to Google half the names you thought kids like (Chance the Rapper and Katie Price) to know who they were.

Chance is one the greatest songwriters in the game today,like Trix cereal his music isn't just for kids.

2 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

,like Trix cereal his music isn't just for kids.

Most music isn't just for kids, except for The Wiggles and their contemporaries :D 

10 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My favourite Sandy Gall story is that the producer of the News at Ten used to summon Reginald Bosanquet to his office at about 9pm every night and make him walk along a line he had marked out on the floor. If he was unable to walk the line the producer would yell Send for Sandy Gall.

Which may explain while we are still discussing Sandy Gall, 30 years after Reggie was pushing up the daisies. 

I always thought Mr Gall also had alcohol issues? Am I confusing him Bosanquet?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I always thought Mr Gall also had alcohol issues? Am I confusing him Bosanquet?

Gall is a recurring drinker, yes, but Bosanquet was frequently overwrought...as a newt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Reggie was affectionately known as “Reggie Beaujolais” in Private Eye .....

On 02/10/2017 at 19:16, FixedBusiness said:

Most music isn't just for kids, except for The Wiggles and their contemporaries :D 

Fruit salad, yummy yummy.

• Like 1

When I was a boy I used to think that Sandy Gall had one of those faces that had been partially melted in a fire or summat.

I was obviously wrong though.