Grim Reaper

8. Sandy Gall

He's talking about memories of his pal Reg Bosanquet, mentioned on this very page.

Everyone will remember that News At Ten ended every evening with an ‘and finally’ light-hearted story. One night, Reggie, who always had this smile across his face with this item, told viewers that an old lady’s cat had got trapped high up a tree and the emergency services had managed to rescue it.

He then closed the item and the programme by saying, ‘Unfortunately’ – while breaking into his wide smile – ‘they then accidentally drove over the cat and killed it.’ He’d allowed himself that unknowing smile, which he was famous for, and the next thing was the ITN phone lines were jammed all night with viewers protesting, ‘How dare he report on this poor cat’s death and have a laugh across his face.’

He didn’t mean to, but it was the irony of it all. 

• Like 1

He's got a gall showing his face hereabouts after all this time.:rolleyes:

Edited by redrumours
bad grammar
  • Like 2

On 17/12/2017 at 23:02, Life Is Beautiful said:

New photo and new interview for this exciting legend.

In it, he talks about the time where he zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sandy-Gall-1163101.jpg

All things considered he looks pretty good for 90. He could always worsen quickly at that age but ,on balance, there are better candidates for 2018. One to drop. 

• Like 2

He looks well and certainly seems lucid. Could pop off at any time of course but I don't think I'll be considering him for 2018.

• Like 1

I thought by the name it was a non famous cancer mom,still this is boring pick even worse then the UN guy Javi.He could live 10 more years

Why does Sandy get all this "boo boring pick" drive by people?  He's not even the most boring person on this years list.

This "woohoo we're so ignorant" stuff is so dull and counter to the Deathlist ethos we all know and love.

Yours,

Scrooge

• Like 3

The guy spent his career covering warfare.Hardly boring.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

The guy spent his career covering warfare.Hardly boring.

Went to Uganda. Jailed by Idi Amin, threatened with torture and worse. Released but coerced that it was just a misunderstanding. Phoned in his anti-Amin report to ITN while still in Uganda.

The door shut and the key turned. Silence descended. Two soldiers sprawled on the floor just inside the door. Next to them were three other Africans. They also lay silently, staring at us with dull, frightened eyes. Finally, in the opposite corner to where we sat, at the end of the cell, a sixth African lay, as if unconscious, his fatigues covered in mud.

Then I noticed the wall 10ft to my right. A line of bullet holes started about waist high and climbed at evenly spaced intervals to the top of the wall. My eyes went to the ceiling. It was splashed with blood. It was dry, but did not look very old.

The bullet holes had been made by a sub-machine gun, I guessed. The blood on the ceiling was more puzzling. I could only speculate that the force of the bullets meeting flesh had sprayed blood over the walls and ceiling. The general conclusion was unnerving: someone had been killed here and not too long ago.

A half-hour or so later the key rattled in the lock. A guard came in, followed by four prisoners carrying a fifth. As they put him down, I could see that the back of his shirt was covered in blood. He groaned once. As the prisoners filed out, the guard looked straight at us. I was sitting with my arms folded on my knees and my chin resting on my hands. I pretended to be asleep, thinking that it was perhaps unwise to be watching. After a second's hesitation, the guard shouted and the four prisoners came back in, and carried the wounded man out again. One of them came back inside with a brush and a pail and started sweeping the blood on the cement towards the ablutions.

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Upright, smiling, alert

Let's put it this way - if he was claiming benefits they'd have him straight down to the nearest call centre reporting for work

• Haha 1

93 today. Time for a return to the list. More likely than Attenborough next year. 

• Like 3

Good to be back. 

Sandy Gall still scheduling new public talks for this summer. I don't think he's going to trouble us this year.

Statistically based on his height a 2023 or 2024 death seems likely.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, BabyBlue said:

Statistically based on his height a 2023 or 2024 death seems likely.

Where did you get his height from? And what figure did you find? 

• Like 2