Grim Reaper

Murray Walker

Aye respect to this one:birthday:

Never picked him - not planning to pick him for any pool next year

• Like 1

Murray Walker reacts to Moss’s death:

Interesting that it notes that Walker has “some challenges”...

• Like 2

On 13/04/2020 at 01:00, Joey Russ said:

Murray Walker reacts to Moss’s death:

Interesting that it notes that Walker has “some challenges”...

Could be related to the ongoing pandemic. But who knows.

Well, at least Mr. Brundle thinks that they'll still have some time left to be called.

On 13/04/2020 at 18:54, Man About The Forum said:

Being 96 is a challenge in itself, I would have thought.

Yeah, or bending down to do your shoelaces when you are 96

He's nearly 97 and he's still doing podcasts. The man is amazing.

You can listen to him here.  There's about 10 mins of discussion before they get to Walker, who sounds healthier than me, tbh. Talking a wee bit slower than his prime but quite clear and still as conversational in style as ever.

He thinks Lewis Hamilton is on course to be the F1 greatest of all time, apparently...

“I used to say Fangio. I think I’m going to have to say very shortly Lewis Hamilton.

“If you look at it in terms of statistics, he’s already got more poles than Michael Schumacher. He’s got at least three years in him if he doesn’t hurt himself or leave Mercedes for some reason or they decide to stop.

“In which case, he’s got at least another three championships ahead of him, so statistically he will become the greatest.

“But he’s also in my opinion – and this is very contentious indeed – better than either Schumacher or Senna because both of them, Schumacher and Senna, adopted at various times in their career highly debatable driving tactics.

“Like Schumacher stopping deliberately at Monaco to prevent [Fernando Alonso] getting pole position, like Schumacher colliding with Jacques Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997, like Senna with [Alain] Prost in 1990 in Japan.

“Lewis Hamilton has never been anything like that. He’s always driven as clean as a whistle.

“He’s an extremely nice, gigantically talented driver and I don’t think we’ve ever seen anybody like him before.”

• Like 1

Talking live on the phone to Brundle and Button on Sky F1 just now. Sounds great; he mentioned he's been better and he's a "doddery old man" but he's still very much the same old Muzza. Absolute legend of the highest order.

• Like 1

Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

Talking live on the phone to Brundle and Button on Sky F1 just now. Sounds great; he mentioned he's been better and he's a "doddery old man" but he's still very much the same old Muzza. Absolute legend of the highest order.

His Murrayisms would suggest he always was one :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Aye, if he's able to do two interviews in one week he's probably in better shape than some of us, let alone some of the list!

I've no interest in cars (sorry) but could listen to Walker for hours - as you say, an absolute legend.

9 and a half minute compilation of some of Murray's brilliant isms. He always cheers me up.

• Like 1

Impossible not to like him. I'd say slightly better than evens on him reaching 100.

I think he's one of those oldies who you are convinced will make 100 then go suddenly at 96 or 97 , much like Nicholas Parsons. He may not be a hit this year, but deffo keep him on the list for next year. 

edit Just found out that he and Parsons were both born on the same day ! I honestly didn't know that!

2 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think he's one of those oldies who you are convinced will make 100 then go suddenly at 96 or 97 , much like Nicholas Parsons. He may not be a hit this year, but deffo keep him on the list for next year. 

That's our cheery thought for the day. Next, it's Iain with the shipping forecast...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

edit Just found out that he and Parsons were both born on the same day ! I honestly didn't know that!

Yes, I sadly don't see him making the century (I hope I'm wrong). I see him as a bit like another iconic sports commentator, Peter O'Sullevan, in threatening a century but ultimately just falling short. 

I used him on some damn DP, disappointment.  He will survive 2021 and be labelled 'immortal'

Reported that he’s passed on

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Shocked 3

Extremely saddened to hear this. He was absolutely one of a kind. He did so much for motorsport, his commentary was utterly unsurpassable and many motorsport fans, particularly those in F1, can credit their fandom to him. This will hit hard for any motorsport fans, old or young.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimK said:

Reported that he’s passed on

Probs true but almost 15 mins later and not even a breaking headline on BBC

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Turn on their news channel. They have a pre-prepared obit rolling now.

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

They just sent a BBC Sport push notification announcing it.