Grim Reaper

Murray Walker

On 10/01/2021 at 08:03, Sir Charms said:

I used him on some damn DP, disappointment.  He will survive 2021 and be labelled 'immortal'

Aged well.

Really sad news a true legend listening to formula one commentary has never been the same since he retired. Some of his one liners had me in stitches like “There is Nothing wrong with that car except it’s on Fire.” and Murray Walker“There’s a body on the track” James Hunt”Umm I think that is a piece of body work of someone’s car on the track.” Genius. Murray got so excited by Formula one as he loved it so much but he actually really knew his stuff and had been around Motor racing forever. I was hoping he would make it to his 100 Birthday but it wasn’t to be. A true one off the likes we will never see again. RIP.

• Like 1

Absolutely devastated at this news. I knew Murray well. Very recently he was moved to a care home when he got frailer. Just... Very upset but at least I had the great privilege of having a lot of quality time with him for which I will be thankful. 

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

So Walker is black flagged on his 98th lap of the sun.

Thank for everything, Murray!

RIP :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

God !! Before Phil ? Amazing 

Phil's not annoyingly close enough to his 100th yet. In about 2 months.

Rest in Peace to this racing ledgend.

• Like 1

Allis and Murray gone inside 6 months of each other. Two voices of their sports. I grew up in the last stages of Murray's career, but so many of the sport's most memorable moments are elevated by his commentary. At the end of the day, he was just a fan like the rest of us, getting swept up in the moment through the triumphs and disasters. Rest in Peace, Murray, you've earned it. A consummate professional until the very end.

And I'm going to stop now, because I've got a lump in my throat.

• Like 3

Very sad to hear this. Murray Walker was one of the greats of commentary, a voice of enduring exciting and enthusiasm for his sport which was contagious, even if, like me, you weren't normally into racing. He lived a good long life and going by interviews and his writing was still mentally there till almost the end, but still - sad news.

• Like 4

I'm a bit too young to have heard of him. However, it sounds like he lived a good life.

May he rest in peace.

"Legendary" is a term often applied and seldom merited, but in this case we have lost a truly legendary person.

• Like 2

Murray Walker and Peter Alliss within a few months - two commentating legends.

RIP to someone who even managed to make motor racing seem slightly interesting. 

Proper bone fide legend.  Did quite a varied amount of motorsport commentary before his almost permanent F1 fixture. Even powerboat racing in the late 70s early 80s in the docks in Bristol had his voice.

This in BTCC was always my fav. 

• Like 1

I take no pleasure in picking Murray.:(. R.I.P. To a legend in our lifetime.

On 15/08/2020 at 13:18, CoffinLodger said:

I think he's one of those oldies who you are convinced will make 100 then go suddenly at 96 or 97 , much like Nicholas Parsons. He may not be a hit this year, but deffo keep him on the list for next year. 

edit Just found out that he and Parsons were both born on the same day ! I honestly didn't know that!

Well predicted to say the least

Unlike some other sporting commentators he retired before his powers faded. Amazingly I remember he then made a come back on Radio 5 when he was in his 80s - he was as good as ever. RIP.

Barry Sheene giving Kenny Roberts the finger - "and Sheene is waving at Roberts!" LOL

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Absolutely devastated at this news. I knew Murray well. Very recently he was moved to a care home when he got frailer. Just... Very upset but at least I had the great privilege of having a lot of quality time with him for which I will be thankful. 

Hated motor racing, but loved a bit of Murray mania. Sorry about your mate Ocky, and RIP to the man.

3 hours ago, Apostate said:

Unlike some other sporting commentators he retired before his powers faded. Amazingly I remember he then made a come back on Radio 5 when he was in his 80s - he was as good as ever. RIP.

Barry Sheene giving Kenny Roberts the finger - "and Sheene is waving at Roberts!" LOL

I don't he think he was quite as sharp in his last couple of years of F1, which is why I was surprised he lasted so long afterwards. His best years I think were with James Hunt.

• Like 1