Grim Reaper

Murray Walker

43 minutes ago, dodrade said:

I don't he think he was quite as sharp in his last couple of years of F1, which is why I was surprised he lasted so long afterwards. His best years I think were with James Hunt.

Indeed

• Like 2

Farewell Murray, well done, life well lived - it was better in the olden days !

Following Murray's death, I reckon that leaves just a few British household names who served in WWII:

*June Brown
*Queen Elizabeth II
*Prince Philip
*Leslie Phillips

At a push...

*Jill Knight
*William Russell

Anyone else?

28 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Following Murray's death, I reckon that leaves just a few British household names who served in WWII:

*June Brown
*Queen Elizabeth II
*Prince Philip
*Leslie Phillips

At a push...

*Jill Knight
*William Russell

Anyone else?

Leonard Fenton (engineers, WW2) if Jill Knight counts - pretty sure a lot of folk would recognise Dr Legg if not the name. Household names are relatively rare among the 95+ group now, more renowned or "much loved in a sphere of society" than A list. Attenborough's Navy service started in 1946 - you probably checked him up too. 

On that note, I think James Lovelock is the last properly famous WW2 conscientious objector? 

• Thanks 1

I'd argue Paul Fox is better known than Jill Knight but he's not necessarily a household name. But he is someone I've heard of generally as opposed to, say, Leslie Marr, who I have heard through racing. 

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Leonard Fenton (engineers, WW2) if Jill Knight counts - pretty sure a lot of folk would recognise Dr Legg if not the name. Household names are relatively rare among the 95+ group now, more renowned or "much loved in a sphere of society" than A list. Attenborough's Navy service started in 1946 - you probably checked him up too. 

On that note, I think James Lovelock is the last properly famous WW2 conscientious objector? 

Ah ace, didn't realise Dr. Legg served!

Another borderline name is Ian Hamilton who stole the stone of destiny. Borderline because everybody knows about the incident and knows they were uni students but most couldn't name them individually.

I think Jill Knight is the only remaining recognisable (or rather infamous) political name who served. Just 3 other MPs: Patrick Duffy, Ben Ford and Eric Cockeram. Vets but not widely known. Members of the Lords (post-1999 reform), just 2: Lord Christopher and Baroness Sharples. Again, not widely known.

Trying to find out if Pete Murray (Radio Luxembourg/BBC/Eurovision et al.) served but not finding anything. I keep forgetting that he's alive... would we consider him DL worthy?

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I'd argue Paul Fox is better known than Jill Knight but he's not necessarily a household name. But he is someone I've heard of generally as opposed to, say, Leslie Marr, who I have heard through racing. 

Didn't consider him when I went through the Wiki list to be honest but I tend to agree. The BBC Controllers used to be quite prominent in nature, making frequent televised appearances/statements. Particularly when there was long-running disputes about content, à la old bag Mary Whitehouse.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Anyone else?

Stanley Baxter was in ENSA during the war, I believe.

3 minutes ago, JQW said:

Stanley Baxter was in ENSA during the war, I believe.

Interesting, didn't know that either. Were all ENSA entertainers enlisted servicemen/women though?

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Didn't consider him when I went through the Wiki list to be honest but I tend to agree. The BBC Controllers used to be quite prominent in nature, making frequent televised appearances/statements. Particularly when there was long-running disputes about content, à la old bag Mary Whitehouse.

Given Fox and Knight, another option is David Graham - I think his RAF time was during WW2, as he had left the RAF before he trained to become an actor and he was acting in New York circa 1946-7. Apparently he spoke about his time in Bomber Command with fans and young vets at conventions over the years.

My main aim has been to entertain and to give pleasure. By the way I am also ex RAF Radar Mechanic. Think i am a better actor though.

Good guy by all accounts.

• Thanks 1

So Murray Walker, might seem a bit of a redundant question with a deceased 97 year old but...can't seem to find a cause of death in the handful of reports I've read, or Wiki for that matter 

Just wondering if that fire in his trousers finally spread with fatal consequences :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So Murray Walker, might seem a bit of a redundant question with a deceased 97 year old but...can't seem to find a cause of death in the handful of reports I've read, or Wiki for that matter 

Just wondering if that fire in his trousers finally spread with fatal consequences :rolleyes:

Martin Brundle said that he'd been in a residential home with his wife for the past year of his life. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Martin Brundle said that he'd been in a residential home with his wife for the past year of his life. 

What, his missus is implicated!! She done him for the money, or summat?

The F1 YouTube channel has just uploaded a fantastic tribute to Walker:

• Like 3

On 13/03/2021 at 19:49, Lafaucheuse said:

Honestly I never heard of him 

I hadn't heard of him either until he made his DL debut. Sports commentators never become household names outside their country or the language in which they commentate.

Oh, and surely he deserved a better front page picture than THAT? <_<

RIP

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

BBC used to save a lot of money by not sending him and James Hunt to the far-off races like Brazil etc.

They were commentating from UK trying to sound like they were there.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/pulled-fast-1-admits-legendary-6022219

For those who never saw this article

I preferred your Mugabe act.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I preferred your Mugabe act.

Trust me, this isn’t Mugabe. This is someone even worse who for some reason isn’t banned yet again... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Trust me, this isn’t Mugabe. This is someone even worse who for some reason isn’t banned yet again... 

i'M A CHANGEEELING see me change