Grim Reaper

John Noakes

Gone with Noakes!

Ah, he got kept on the list. Couldn't remember earlier.

Even on the day of his death, this thread is quiet. :(

I was about to say how it's weird that he's the fourth hit in a row on a Monday, but reports are saying he actually died Sunday.

Good lord, the hero of my childhood. RIP.

56 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

Gone with Noakes!

A tap in pun for the DeathList. DDP will graciously concede!

Seemed a lovely man and real gentleman.Watched some of his old videos on youtube.Was a much better presenter than many of the kids tv presenters when I was growing up.Sounds from the statement that it was a blessing that he died.

He was a good pick that returned to the list. RIP

I suggest we fill his place next year with Stefan Karl another beloved children`s TV star albeit from a different generation.

The only DL hit so far that wasn't on my shadow list. Seemed like a great guy. R.I.P. John Noakes.

Valerie Harper and Errol Christie are shaking.

• Like 1

The List keeps scoring with the good but not great picks. Good for the record, IF the great picks die.

• Like 1

I don't want to give my age away but I confess that for the whole of my time at primary school I rushed home to watch Blue Peter and the line u p was Peter Purves, Lesley Judd, and John Noakes, for years the only presenters I knew. . John will forever be a part of my child hood memories. As I said earlier I hope he is taking Shep for a walk in heaven right now !

• Like 1

That's my 5th hit of the year, took me a while though.

In all honesty, I didn't know him very well but I have a few fond-ish memories of Blue Peter so he's still a loss.

R.I.P

The fourth death in the last 10 listings of the top 50!

Last words at his funeral.

Get down John.

Interesting all the deaths so far are from the bottom the list. I reckon that might change soon.

In other news - fairly chipper Biddy Baxter was on the radio this morning discussing Noakes' demise - doesn't sound like she'll be joining him anytime soon (despite being around 84)

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

In other news - fairly chipper Biddy Baxter was on the radio this morning discussing Noakes' demise - doesn't sound like she'll be joining him anytime soon (despite being around 84)

Reapers probably too scared, tbh.

• Like 3

RIP John Noakes

Two things.

1) I learned in the Obit clip on the BBC news that the elephant never actually stood on his foot - it was just a joke he made.

2) I was another huge childhood fan of Noakes - he was Blue Peter for me, Lesley Judd and Peter Purves were just fillers in and around whatever John Noakes was going to be up to that episode. You have to wonder if Blue Peter would still be on now if John Noakes had not been such a great daredevil. After he left I think they replaced him with Peter Duncan to try and keep the daredevil slot going.

EDIT: I missed a step - he was replaced by Christopher Wenner who was really unpopular (possibly because the Noakes shoes were so difficult to fill) and then he was replaced by Peter Duncan to try and recreate the Noakes role in the programme.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

That's interesting because Noakes and Baxter really didn't get on - he refused to appear in some of the anniversary programmes because of her.