Sign in to follow this  
CaptainChorizo

2016 DDP salvage lot

Notice a thread for 2016 had not been posted yet.

This is a thread to post those who you dropped at the late minute for your 2016 team. Also is good documentation you are being truthy when you say "I nearly picked them" in another thread if your near hit dies during the year.

I'll post my 21-40

Paul Barrere
Sumner Redstone
Randy Romero
*Clive Derby Lewis
Bryan Murray
Peter Maxwell-Davies
*Total Biscuit
Anker Jorgensen
Lee Kun-hee
Jacques Rivette
Desmond Tutu
Chuck Blazer
Danielle Darrieux
Liliane Bettencourt
Bob Bennett
Johan Criuff
Sheila Sim
Franco Zefferelli
Baby Peggy
Rev Sandy McDonald aka Doctor Who's Dad

*Plausable qualifying obit snub

Clive Derby Lewis

Amanda Bynes

Kirsten Hallenga

Johan Cruyff

Harper Lee

Paul Gascoigne

Aretha Franklin

Abe Vigoda

Betty White

Cloris Leachman

Val Kilmer

Ian St. John*

Jenny Diski*

Kate Granger*

Helen Fawkes

Caroline Aherne

Mary Tyler Moore*

* indicates present on other lists/teams

Did I forget to hit "send" earlier on or did one of my posts get deleted?

People who made it as far as post-Christmas for being in contention, but were later dropped:

Monty Brinson, Mary Wilson (Pan Breed favourite), Douglas Slocombe, Clare Hollingworth (this was in case every terminal case died in December and I needed a quick fix), Gordon Aikman, Gregory Hudgens, Peter Esterhazy, Bob Ellis, Ian St John, Thomas Fekete, Elliot Ward, Randy Romero, Rick Davies (think he'll see 2017), Fabian Bolin, Juliet Ace (obit worries), Errol Christie, Mark Czarnecki, David Fisher, Fernando Ricksen, Richard Smith (BMJ editor), Gordon Banks, Aki Hintsa (seems to be doing ok), Robert F Dorr (no chance of an obit), Vera Caslavska (has had major surgery).

Mine:

Helen Fawkes

Daisy Berkowitz

Caroline Aherne

Freddie Starr

Vanessa Redgrave

Glenda Jackson

Dennis Skinner

Ken Clarke

Shirley Williams

Betty Boothroyd

Glen Campbell

Mary Tyler Moore

Stuart Hall

Rolf Harris

Peter Swan

Vera Lynn

Joao Havelange

Kirk Douglas

David Rockefeller

Jeremy Hutchinson

Douglas Slocombe

Clare Hollingworth

Jimmy Carter

Walter Mondale

George Bush Senior

Peter Sallis

Denis Norden

Geoffrey Bayldon

Liz Smith (actress)

Daniella Westbrook

Elaine Lorden

Derek Martin

Bruce Jones

Paul O`Grady

Tim Curry

Burt Reynolds

Gordon Banks

Jimmy Greaves

Ian St John

Joni Mitchell

Roger Bannister

Gerald Kaufman

David Winnick

Paul Flynn

Lillianne Bettencourt

Sheila Sim

Doreen Keogh

Did I forget to hit "send" earlier on or did one of my posts get deleted?

No posts have been deleted. I assume you didn't hit 'Send'.

Right, as I was saying before I closed the browser tab for some dumb reason, those who were cut by me at the last minute and could come back to bite me on the proverbial:

Jake Bailey - New Zealand student whose graduation speech got big media coverage due to being so "inspirational". Was originally considered as a captain pick by me, but then if you read beyond the "weeks to live" headlines he has a form of cancer that has a good two-three years prognosis.

John Underwood - Food blogger, would normally struggle to obit but he is the son-in-law of former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. Make it 50/50 that he goes this year and his young age mean I am going to be annoyed if I picked the wrong 50.

Mark Nuthren - Cancer sufferin' friend of one of Girls Aloud. As with Louise Plowright, I took the view that if they're paying £100k for treatment, they must have some hope that they'll still be here in 2k17

Karel Gott - Cheesy Czech singer, sold 55 million records worldwide and very popular with his country's former Communist rulers. However, I feel like I can't call a pick in based solely on Google Translate.

Angus Ross - Darts player, made the last 16 of the 1982 BDO Worlds, but a completely disappearance into obscurity, coupled with the fact that no obit sources have a full-time darts journalist, mean he'll almost certainly not obit. He will be dead within weeks though.

Olly Croft - Talking of the olden days of darts, the man who killed the BDO (pending) has been hospitalised twice this year. If the BBC dropping Lakeside this year desn't finish him off, nothing will.

Owen Jones' dad, Ian Michael Black's mother, Eva Mendes' brother: Assorted celeb family members. In order: probably not far enough along in his battle to be dying, almost certainly won't obit unless IMB has a big film roll that means he'll do endless interviews this year, and I could find fuck all about his condition following diagnosis.

AB Bardhan - Indian communist party leader, probably is going but I hate to back-load my team with those past a certain age.

John Underwood struck me as more of a 2017 pick, so yes, I'll be annoyed too.

Anyone famous solely for being ill (thu tbh Brinson is only a run above that in the nobody states, and he made the cut)

Three on the subs bench:

Howard Marks (50/50 to go this year so this is my risky omission)

Kate Granger (just got bored with her, I guess... in reference to the "famous for being ill" part, she's so high-profile 'round these parts I'd not strike her on that alone)

Steve LaTourette (other names won out in the end)

Others I hummed and hawed over:

Bill Hudnut (former Indianapolis mayor with congestive heart failure and recently battled throat cancer. He was the city's longest-served mayor and apparently was quite pivotal towards making it a noted US sports hub, so may just get something in the Mail but last-minute arrivals of Langhorne et al push him out)

Bob Ellis (says his "aggressive months to live liver cancer" is gone and his doctors even gave him the okay to drink... I probably jinxed it and it'll return with a vengeance in April :unsure:)

Jimmy Carter

Huston Smith

John Rigas

Pat Harrington Jr.

Bob Bennett

Peter Maxwell Davies (can only pick so many 80+ people plus some like Carter are recovered)

Andrew Smith (not confident enough on the obit front even if I picked some "oh please let this guy be on the Independent's slow day backlog" musicians...)

Gary Haggarty (I saw DDT picked him, considered him myself but only one source on his illness felt too risky for me...)

Goran Hadzic (cut from a similar cloth to Seselj IIRC, so hard to trust him)

Bill Kenwright (he did appear (and speak) at Kendall's funeral in spite of the lack of public statements before, so he may be ill but I suspect not deadly ill...)

Geoffrey Robinson

Angela "Big Ang" Raiola

Paul Barrere

Paul Cox

Ian St. John

Sandy McDonald

John Underwood struck me as more of a 2017 pick, so yes, I'll be annoyed too.

Did see Underwood talking to Kris Travis on Twitter the other week about PICC lines, which was a nice alternate universe version of the DDP.

I don't have my list with me at the moment, but the person that was closest to being picked, but eventually wasn't, for any of my teams, was Dynamite Kid. I also decided against picking Sharon Jones and Johan Cruyff for the DDP. Also, I pushed benefit fraud John Larder to Shaun's deadpool at the last minute.

21. Billy Graham 97 (had him in my DDP team in 2012-2015)

22. Kirk Douglas 99 (2011-2012, 2014)

23. Joao Havelange 99 (2011-2012, 2014-2015)

24. Valerie Harper 76 (2014)

25. Mary Tyler Moore 79 (2015)

26. Fidel Castro 89 (2011-2015)

27. Pope Benedict XVI 88 (2014)

28. Robert Mugabe 91 (2012-2014)

29. King Bhumibol of Thailand 88 (2015)

30. Antony Booth 84

31. Jenny Diski 68

32. Desmond Tutu 84 (2015)

33. Lynne Stewart 76 (2014-2015)

34. Gordie Howe 87 (2015)

35. Daisy Berkowitz 47 (2015)

36. Thor Hansen 68

37. Kristin Hallenga 30

38. John Jay Hooker 85

39. Michael Schumacher 46

40. Jerry Lewis 89

41. Bunny Matthews 64

42. Sir Peter Maxwell Davies 81

43. Bishop Geoffrey Robinson 78

44. Tommy Chong 77

45. Gaston Glock 86

46. Jake LaMotta 94

47. Little Richard 83

48. Ian St John 77

49. Val Kilmer 56

50. Lilliane Bettencourt 93

51. Hosni Mubarak 87 (2013)

52. Ian Brady 77 (2013)

53. Walter Scheel 96

54. Chuck Berry 89 (2012)

55. Nancy Reagan 94 (2013)

56. Stephen Hawking 73 (2014)

57. Wendy Beckett 85

58. Stan Mikita 75

59. Monica Vitti 84 - (2000 - Alzheimer's)

60. Tim Curry 69 had major stroke (2012)

61. Roger Moore 88 - old and has health problems

62. Burt Reynolds 79 - looking frail (2015)

63. Joe Jackson 87 - had stroke and heart arrhythmia (Jul 15)

64. Gene Wilder 82 - looking frail (Sept 15)

65. Murray Walker 92 - had early-stage lymphatic system cancer

66. Peter Sallis 94

67. Sheila Mercier 97

68. Hugh Hefner 89 - looking frail (2015)

69. June Brown 88 - going deaf and blind (2015)

70. Lupita Tovar 105

71. Norman Lloyd 101

72. Piet de Jong 100

73. David Rockefeller 100

74. Olivia De Havilland 99

75. Huston Smith 96

76. Michael I of Romania 94

77. Stan Lee 93

78. Sumner Redstone 92

79. Queen Anne of Romania 92

80. Rhonda Fleming 92

81. Leslie Phillips 91

82. Eva Marie Saint 91

83. Sir George Martin 89

84. George H.W. Bush 91 (2013-2014)

85. Prince Philip 94 (2011, 2014)

86. Bob Dole 92 (2013)

87. Bart Starr 81

88. Doyle Brunson 82

89. Merle Haggard 78

90. Penny Marshall 72 (2013)

91. Julius Darmaatmadja 81

92. Jim Bowen 78

93. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo 73

94. John Glenn 94

95. Dick Cheney 74

96. Norma Waterson 76

97. Edgar Savisaar 65

98. Jack Nicholson 78 (2011)

99. Paul Gascoigne 48

100. Aretha Franklin 73 (2011)

101. Lawrence Ferlinghetti 96

102. Margot Hielscher 96

103. Cliff Michelmore 96

104. Betty White 93

105. Doris Day 93/91

106. Chuck Yeager 92

107. Henry Kissinger 92

108. Joyce Randolph 91

109. Dick Van Dyke 90 (2011)

110. Bernard Hepton 90

111. Gudrun Ure 89

112. Harper Lee 89

113. Mihhail Gorbatšov 84

114. Ruth Bader Ginsburg 82

115. Brian Bennett 75

116. John McCririck 75

117. Ryan O'Neal 74

118. Hank Marvin 74

119. Bruce Welch 74

120. Guy Edwards 73

121. Chuck Blazer 70

122. Leif Garrett 54

123. Ali Carter 36

124. Charles Trippy 31

125. Lil Boosie 33

126. Eddie Large 74

127. Ryuichi Sakamoto 63

128. George Alagiah 60

129. Bryan Murray 73

130. Michael Douglas 71 (2011)

131. Wilko Johnson 68 (2014)

132. Caroline Aherne 52 (2015)

133. Kelvin MacKenzie 69

134. Bashar al-Assad 50

Ones that were on and then off (and then on and off again) my DP list in the last 72 hours of December

João Havelange
Rev Billy Graham
Lord Peter Carrington
Daisy Berkowitz
Douglas Slocombe
Fidel Castro
Gaston Glock

Plus Zsa Zsa, who I finally dropped for being a wasted pick once too often.

Eva Mendes' brother:

Based on her being Ryan Goslings baby mama would almost certainly get some mention in Daily Mail unless he died in a super busy news cycle

Helen Fawkes - seems to be at that stage of terminal cancer where she's all right and reasonably healthy. Of course, the cancer could take hold with a vengeance at any moment but I'm willing to take the risk she'll be around until at least 2017.

Gazza - I know he's just been in rehab again but he's looking less ill than he did a year or so back when he looked gaunt and like a walking corpse. I have no doubt alcoholism will get him in the end but he's probably good for a liver transplant and a few more years yet.

Clive James - those experimental research drugs have done him the world of good. See Helen Fawkes above.

Caroline Aherne - haven't really heard much about her recently, though I think she did a voiceover for something not so long ago. One to watch.

Here were the ideas I discounted.

• Rev Sandy McDonald - He lost out on the toss of a coin to Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies
  • Howard Marks - I have a feeling he may (just) see out the year. Although I'm slightly regretting that decision already
  • Bill Kenwright - I wonder if he may be recovering from serious illness, rather than actually dying from it
  • Bob Ellis - Despite saying he had weeks to live, more recent public utterances say he's in remission.
  • Dan Haggerty - Had to make way for my team's obligatory Irish person. I couldn't bring myself to submit an entry without one.
  • Dmitri Hvorostovsky - He has this awful blonde mullet and looks rather untrustworthy

Also, females have always been terribly under-represented in my teams, so, a bit like the Labour Party, I had a woman only short-list for seven places in the squad, meaning some of the above who may have previously made the cut had to make way in the name of equality based progress, or summat. :unsure:

Caroline Aherne - haven't really heard much about her recently, though I think she did a voiceover for something not so long ago. One to watch.

I believe she also did a cameo in an episode of a Sky sitcom called (I think) After Dark or something like that. I don't have Sky, so wasn't able to study the form.

Perhaps a Sky subscriber could locate it and report back?

I have been doubting a long time about Johan Cruijff for my theme team. I decided to leave him out, I think he'll see 2017. No details about his condition have been reported, I went by the statistics. I could be wrong, and DDP-approved obits are a cert for him.

• Like 1

I included most (relatively) young people who have a greater-than-average chance of dying next year that I had done any research on, so I haven't got a lot of rejected picks. I briefly considered Sinéad O'Connor, but I think she is seeking attention, rather than actually intends to take her life. I think Bashar al-Assad is too unlikely to die next year (more so than Lars Vilks). I heard Vladimir Zhirinovsky has some health issues, but as it is just a rumor and he is getting too old (i.e. turning 70), I decided not to add him.

Right, as I was saying before I closed the browser tab for some dumb reason, those who were cut by me at the last minute and could come back to bite me on the proverbial:

Jake Bailey - New Zealand student whose graduation speech got big media coverage due to being so "inspirational". Was originally considered as a captain pick by me, but then if you read beyond the "weeks to live" headlines he has a form of cancer that has a good two-three years prognosis.

John Underwood - Food blogger, would normally struggle to obit but he is the son-in-law of former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. Make it 50/50 that he goes this year and his young age mean I am going to be annoyed if I picked the wrong 50.

Mark Nuthren - Cancer sufferin' friend of one of Girls Aloud. As with Louise Plowright, I took the view that if they're paying £100k for treatment, they must have some hope that they'll still be here in 2k17

Karel Gott - Cheesy Czech singer, sold 55 million records worldwide and very popular with his country's former Communist rulers. However, I feel like I can't call a pick in based solely on Google Translate.

Angus Ross - Darts player, made the last 16 of the 1982 BDO Worlds, but a completely disappearance into obscurity, coupled with the fact that no obit sources have a full-time darts journalist, mean he'll almost certainly not obit. He will be dead within weeks though.

Olly Croft - Talking of the olden days of darts, the man who killed the BDO (pending) has been hospitalised twice this year. If the BBC dropping Lakeside this year desn't finish him off, nothing will.

Owen Jones' dad, Ian Michael Black's mother, Eva Mendes' brother: Assorted celeb family members. In order: probably not far enough along in his battle to be dying, almost certainly won't obit unless IMB has a big film roll that means he'll do endless interviews this year, and I could find fuck all about his condition following diagnosis.

AB Bardhan - Indian communist party leader, probably is going but I hate to back-load my team with those past a certain age.

Was Jake Bailey the one undiscussed name you considered your joker at one point? The one you talked about in the Derby Dead Pool Thread? That was my guess back then. And I think you made the right decision. His cancer is aggressive, but can also be beaten by even more aggressive measures. He's definitely no joker.

Edit: Not that I have any right to give you suggesstions, but I just like solving riddles of the "I know someone nobody has discussed before..." variety.

Yeah, I presume I wasn't alone in pencilling him in as a definite joker before putting a bit more research in.

Aside from the fact that you described two different years as "this year" within about 20 seconds of each other.

I don't know how the old fart is still heaving either. In the "how is this annoying white-haired cunt still alive" stakes, he's up there with Clive Everton and my dad.

The last one to leave my main team was Mark Farren. The very final picture of the year showed to me that there is actually some improvement going on. That said, the cancer will most likely return, and they cannot take out his whole brain to keep him alive. But I think it's going to happen 2017.

Karel Gott, huge star in Germany as well, is in recovery, for now. Not as promising as it initially seemed.

One mysterious case was that of Sydney Swans official Frank Burton, who supposedly had weeks to live after being diagnosed with a rare strain of Creutzfeld-Jacob syndrome. It made the Guardian for some reason. But then, there were no updates on it for half a year. And since I got burned with Bob Ellis in Shaun's Deadpool I decided that this guy was too "untrustworthy".

Also, during the year, I had the "idée fixe" to pick French New Wave photographer Raymond Cauchetier, simply because of age and uniqueness. But then better picks came up.

Jenny Diski will hang on I think.

Diski's Twitter is increasingly deranged in recent weeks, but maybe that's just standard procedure for LRB writers.