Sign in to follow this  
CaptainChorizo

2016 DDP salvage lot

Diski's Twitter is increasingly deranged in recent weeks, but maybe that's just standard procedure for LRB writers.

Hehe, true. She talked about remission though, and that she's now more likely to die from lung damage than from cancer. Physically, I guess she can live under these circumstances for quite a while. And she's too young for her lungs to give up or something like that. But maybe the pain will drive her crazy, and make her do something fatal.

Farren was a "between the lines" thing. He had Stage IV brain cancer, and raised money to go to Mexico for experimental treatment as the usual stuff wasn't working. In August, he said they didn't know yet if the experimental treatment was a success. In November, before the FAI Cup final, it was mentioned that Farren was currently suffering from serious cancer.

Could have got the wrong end of the stick, but judging from the DDP thread, a few more sensible posters take the same punt.

As for Diski, she clearly thinks (from her LRB articles and twitter) that she wont see Christmas.

Farren was a "between the lines" thing. He had Stage IV brain cancer, and raised money to go to Mexico for experimental treatment as the usual stuff wasn't working. In August, he said they didn't know yet if the experimental treatment was a success. In November, before the FAI Cup final, it was mentioned that Farren was currently suffering from serious cancer.

Could have got the wrong end of the stick, but judging from the DDP thread, a few more sensible posters take the same punt.

As for Diski, she clearly thinks (from her LRB articles and twitter) that she wont see Christmas.

If I had to guess, I'd say my omission of Mark Farren has the risk to disappoint me the most. But I wanted to keep my main team free from gambles. Could have put him in my other team though... As far as I know. Farren's cancer wasn't stage IV, but grade IV, meaning highly aggressive. It tends to return again and again. But as far as I know, it has not spread.

Diski, ah well... like Clive James, she's dying for years now. And for example, Martin Crowe said that the 2015 World Cup final might have been the last game he ever watches. That didn't turn out to be true, so we know that his illness is progressing slower than he himself thinks. And now we know that it's moving slower than statistics say. I believe Diski is similarly dying slower than statistics and she herself think. And Christmas being only one week away from 2017 doesn't make her a lock, in my very personal opinion.

For being a celebrity deadpool, it is surprising the amount of names I have never heard of before.

Kinda defeats the purpose to be honest.

(Awaits accusations of hypocracy) ;)

I have to admit Jenny Diski was one of those picks, like Eric Lubbock, where just the fact she gives a steady stream of updates via blog/Twitter/et al to keep track of her with factored into me putting her on. And I agree, her Twitter output has been... well, "BUT I must say r=there are montly mwn, I FOLLOW OR WHO FOLLOW ME. DON'T KNOW WHY. SOUND LIKE AN EDIITI90N OF THE LRB" speaks for itself. Like Sam Simon with "apple pan deliverr" it'll be interesting to see what her famous last words on there will be.

For me Farren's age, and the fact that he needed to go to Mexico to even have a chance to hang on, was enough for me to take the chance with him despite his fighting spirit. May see the year out, but then he's not going to be around for years and years.

I don't have my list with me at the moment, but the person that was closest to being picked, but eventually wasn't, for any of my teams, was Dynamite Kid. I also decided against picking Sharon Jones and Johan Cruyff for the DDP. Also, I pushed benefit fraud John Larder to Shaun's deadpool at the last minute.

If I'd have seen THIS a week ago no doubt The Dynamite Kid would be in my top 20. Big miss. His death guaranteed.

SC

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Wrestling_Legend_Still_Hospitalized_Backstage_Talk_on_a_WWE_SmackDown_Change_Brock_Lesnar.html

Olly Croft - Talking of the olden days of darts, the man who killed the BDO (pending) has been hospitalised twice this year. If the BBC dropping Lakeside this year desn't finish him off, nothing will.

They've still got half of the Live coverage, and the BT £££ will help them though.

And their coverage.

Anyone else think Colin Murray looks thin as fuck ?

Besides his new hairstyle that makes him a clone of Alastair MacGowan

Colin-Murray-008.jpg?w=1200&q=85&auto=fo

I'm not stupid enough to listen to talk sport so I'm not aware if there is any backstory, but g'damn, he looks ill, or recovering.

I'd look ill too if I were involved with Talkshite.

I don't have my list with me at the moment, but the person that was closest to being picked, but eventually wasn't, for any of my teams, was Dynamite Kid. I also decided against picking Sharon Jones and Johan Cruyff for the DDP. Also, I pushed benefit fraud John Larder to Shaun's deadpool at the last minute.

If I'd have seen THIS a week ago no doubt The Dynamite Kid would be in my top 20. Big miss. His death guaranteed.
SC
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Wrestling_Legend_Still_Hospitalized_Backstage_Talk_on_a_WWE_SmackDown_Change_Brock_Lesnar.html

Many thought that a year or two ago after he had a prior massive stroke, and he's still hanging on. He's like a cockroach (though cockroaches are friendlier).

The terminal illness celebrities I didn't pick, some of them might be 2017 targets, depending on obitability:

Larry Rees (pancreatic cancer activist, friend of Nick Hewer) (died in Feb 2017, no obit)

Terrence Reeves (dodged a bullet, he died on NYE)

Todd McCaffery (cancer guy who got a visit from Arnold Schwarzenegger) - who knows????

Heidi Loughlin (for 2017) - still alive!!!

Channan Petrides (pulmonary fibrosis) died in Oct 2016 - no obit

Hazel Birnie (had weeks to live after booze destroyed her liver, but no news for a long time) (died in 2016, but hard to find, no obit)

Alisha Barnett (cancer bride who never smoked, yet has lung cancer, universal press coverage - and I probably should have picked her, though she still wants to run a marathon) (died Feb 2016, no obit)

Julia Watson (turned author, "Breakfast, School Run, Chemo") (died Dec 2016, Daily Mail QO)

Milly Simmie (2017) - healed with the power of horses!

Valeri Spiridonov (the head transplant guy) - still alive and with head!

Dorothy Crosby (classic cancer bride) - died Dec 2015 already, but my research wasn't as good back then

Trevor Barlow (campaigner against asbestos that gave him mesothelioma) died in June 2017 - no obit

Amber Guzman (one of those human barbies) - still alive!

Andrew Culliford (not obitable anymore without regional BBC obits) - still alive, incredibly!

Paul Chippington (also pulmonary fibrosis)  - last sign of live is an Amazon review from March 2016

Andrea Finlay (Taylor Swift's mom) - alive, of course.

Ben King (a chef with cancer, probably already forgotten) - died Feb 2016 - no obit

Jade Pateman (2017) now dead with qualifying obit

Lizzie Velasquez (who knows... definitely obitable though, as "the ugliest woman of the world") - alive, and doing well

Rebecca Griffiths (ran a half-marathon to defy cancer, won "Pride of Britain" of ITV Anglia West) died in Juli 2016

Penny Edwards (got cancer from too much tanning) I think she died a while ago.

Aimee Willett/Bond (total silence, but was picked last year) - alive as of July 2017, but since then Twitter silence!

Garth Callaghan (a.k.a. Napkin Dad) - cancer under control

Greg Hudgens (Vanessa Hudgens' Dad) now dead with qualifying obit

Orla Tinsley (prominent pulmonary fibrosis campaigner, had a health improvement) - still alive!

Ashley Harris Moore (she got the lung transplant she needed) - alive and healed

Georgia Davis - the overweight one - alive and doing better, I think

Jennifer Walker (some medical malpractice background story) - no idea

Sonny Lang (has cystic fibrosis) now dead with Mirror Obit

Sophie Sabbage (turned author, "The Cancer Whisperer") - still alive!

David Smith (the paralympian who has to decide: cancer treatment or Olympic games) - alive!

Tom Cooper (I just realized, he died on Christmas with mirror/ITV obit, possibly because of his support from ManUtd)

• Dan Haggerty - Had to make way for my team's obligatory Irish person. I couldn't bring myself to submit an entry without one.

Things are looking grizzly for Adams:

1918231_1202481539780740_829047410948663

The last one to leave my main team was Mark Farren. The very final picture of the year showed to me that there is actually some improvement going on. That said, the cancer will most likely return, and they cannot take out his whole brain to keep him alive. But I think it's going to happen 2017.

I'm trying to chase new info down on Mark Farren and can't find squat (not even these promising photos you speak of)

​I'm still interested in the cacophony of a GoFundMe that on May 1 2015 is supposed to send him to GERMANY for unique cancer treatment, and by May 14 that is switched to MEXICO (nothing like Mexican health care I say... a-hem)

​So what gives? Anyway it's pretty quiet for 8 months now seeing as he was fully funded to get treatment (i.e. remove a grade 4 tumour?).

I'd like him to perish, not that I'm ROOTING for it or anything :shoot2:

​SC

Angus Ross - Darts player, made the last 16 of the 1982 BDO Worlds, but a completely disappearance into obscurity, coupled with the fact that no obit sources have a full-time darts journalist, mean he'll almost certainly not obit. He will be dead within weeks though.

As predicted, Angus Ross was dead by the end of January, and nobody has bothered to report it outside of his local newspaper.

The last one to leave my main team was Mark Farren. The very final picture of the year showed to me that there is actually some improvement going on. That said, the cancer will most likely return, and they cannot take out his whole brain to keep him alive. But I think it's going to happen 2017.

I'm trying to chase new info down on Mark Farren and can't find squat (not even these promising photos you speak of)

​I'm still interested in the cacophony of a GoFundMe that on May 1 2015 is supposed to send him to GERMANY for unique cancer treatment, and by May 14 that is switched to MEXICO (nothing like Mexican health care I say... a-hem)

​So what gives? Anyway it's pretty quiet for 8 months now seeing as he was fully funded to get treatment (i.e. remove a grade 4 tumour?).

​SC

He had his trip to Mexico for that treatment in August.

He was announced to be "currently" suffering from cancer in November at the Irish Cup final.

There's been no "Farren on the mend", or "Farren hopeful", or even "Farren goes to the shops" stories, even in the Irish press, since.

You can draw your own conclusions.

​SC

He had his trip to Mexico for that treatment in August.

He was announced to be "currently" suffering from cancer in November at the Irish Cup final.

There's been no "Farren on the mend", or "Farren hopeful", or even "Farren goes to the shops" stories, even in the Irish press, since.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Incidentally, Sir Creep, a bit late, I know, but as I was saying, you can draw your own conclusions on Farren!

I dropped Ally Gourlay, press officer at Raith Rovers, out of fear that he'd fall victim to the ban on Scottish press/BBC regions. But now he's dead and The Sun have stepped up to the plate.

So, TMIB bans a bunch of newspapers, and then obits which tended to only show up in those papers suddenly start turning up in The Sun and The Daily Mail.

I'm guessing there's a few ITK journos or editors playing the game.

TMIB has hinted before that there's at least one broadsheet obit writer who plays the DDP.

The company I work for supplies content for Yahoo's news section, so I was wondering whether I'd have to declare myself if they'd stayed as a QO source for 2016. Rest assured we'd kept them I'd have been pestering every French writer in the office with "remember how your dad loved that Delpech lad? Yeah, write about that, I'll go to Starbucks for you don't worry, just write about that".

• Like 1

Spectres-to-Be (a Bond theme team)

1: Sean Connery
2: Roger Moore
3: George Lazenby
4: Guy Hamilton
5: Lewis Gilbert
6: Clifton James
7: Earl Cameron
8: Ken Adam
9: Albert Finney
10: Joe Don Baker
11: Michael Lonsdale
12: Topol
13: David Hedison
14: Monty Norman
15: Burt Kwouk
16: Julian Fellowes
17: Akiko Wakabayashi
18: David de Keyser
19: Geoffrey Palmer
20: Johanna Harwood

21: Peter Lamont
22: Eunice Gayson
23: Luciana Paluzzi

Not really anything much else bubbling under the three substitutes. What a boring team that turned out to be

#1 Hits (a #1 hitmaker theme team)

1: Sinéad O'Connor

2: Vera Lynn
3: Peter Macbeth (The Foundations)
4: Mike Elliott (The Foundations)
5: Jane Morgan
6: Peter Sarstedt
7: Melissa Bell (Soul II Soul)
8: Marcia Barrett (Boney M.)
9: Billy Connolly
10: Ke$ha
11: Rolf Harris
12: Lena Martell
13: Robert Lee Smith (The Tams)
14: Craig Douglas
15: Charles Aznavour
16: Kenney Jones (Small Faces)
17: Kitty Kallen
18: Norman Greenbaum
19: Ian McCredie (Middle of the Road)
20: Judith Durham (The New Seekers)

21: Gerry Marsden (Gerry and the Pacemakers)
22: Chuck Berry
23: Rik Elswit (Dr Hook)
24: Gary Glitter
25: David Cassidy
26: Cliff Richard
27: Kay Starr
28: Andy Scott (Sweet)
29: Terry Hall (The Specials)
30: Ken Dodd
31: Peter Tork (The Monkees)
32: Abdul "Duke" Fakir (The Four Tops)
33: Dave Hill (Slade)
34: Des O'Connor
35: Tulisa
36: Danny Kirwan (Fleetwood Mac)
37: Tommy Banner (The Wurzels)
38: Carl Morgan (So Solid Crew)
39: Tich (Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich)
40: Sandi Thom
David Bowie nowhere near. Will make up for it by pencilling in "David Zowie" for 2017
Unpersons (a Big Brother theme team)

1: Rebekah Shelton (BB10 – competed as Rodrigo Lopes)
2: Jackie Stallone (CBB3)
3: Bruce Jones (CBB12)
4: Carol McGiffin (CBB12)
5: Julie Goodyear (CBB10)
6: Lauren Harries (CBB12)
7: Lionel Blair (CBB13)
8: Jeremy Jackson (CBB15)
9: Dustin Diamond (CBB12)
10: Alicia Douvall (CBB15)
11: Alexander O'Neal (CBB15)
12: Michael Barrymore (CBB4)
13: Paddy Doherty (CBB8)
14: Big Ron Atkinson (CBB12)
15: Katie Hopkins (CBB15)
16: Gary Busey (CBB14)
17: Paula Hamilton (CBB11)
18: John McCririck (CBB3)
19: Germaine Greer (CBB3)
20: Derek Laud (BB6)

21: Carole Vincent (BB8)
22: Jackiey Budden (CBB5)
23: Tila Tequila (CBB16)

24: Janice Dickinson (CBB16)

25: Ken Morley (CBB15)

26: Linda Nolan (CBB13)

27: Tara Reid (CBB8)

28: Vinnie Jones (CBB7)

29: Kellie Maloney (CBB14)

30: Dirk Benedict (CBB5)

31: Shahbaz Chaudry (BB7)

32: Pete Burns (CBB4)

33: Stephanie Beacham (CBB7)

34: Daniel Baldwin (CBB16)

35: Kerry Katona (CBB8)

36: Kavana (CBB15)

37: Heidi Fleiss (CBB7)

38: Sree Dasari (BB10)

39: Lesley Brain (BB8)

40: Sue Perkins (CBB2)

I can't believe I have a 21-40 for a theme team that statistically can be expected to get about 0.5 hits. My longlist has synopses like "DEMENTED CRACKHEAD" right down to the low 50s

Notice a thread for 2016 had not been posted yet.

This is a thread to post those who you dropped at the late minute for your 2016 team. Also is good documentation you are being truthy when you say "I nearly picked them" in another thread if your near hit dies during the year.

I'll post my 21-40

Paul Barrere

Sumner Redstone

Randy Romero

*Clive Derby Lewis

Bryan Murray

Peter Maxwell-Davies

*Total Biscuit

Anker Jorgensen

Lee Kun-hee

Jacques Rivette

Desmond Tutu

Chuck Blazer

Danielle Darrieux

Liliane Bettencourt

Bob Bennett

Johan Criuff

Sheila Sim

Franco Zefferelli

Baby Peggy

Rev Sandy McDonald aka Doctor Who's Dad

*Plausable qualifying obit snub

Ouch. (Oh and Peter M-D as well....)

John Underwood struck me as more of a 2017 pick, so yes, I'll be annoyed too.

Did see Underwood talking to Kris Travis on Twitter the other week about PICC lines, which was a nice alternate universe version of the DDP.

He's been in hospital all of December in a bad way, according to Twitter, though given he gave up his blogging in June, an obit would rely solely on his father-in-law.

On 4.1.2016 at 13:46, gcreptile said:

The terminal illness celebrities I didn't pick, some of them might be 2017 targets, depending on obitability:

Larry Rees (pancreatic cancer activist, friend of Nick Hewer)

Terrence Reeves (dodged a bullet, he died on NYE)

Todd McCaffery (cancer guy who got a visit from Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Heidi Loughlin (for 2017)

Channan Petrides (though there's medical progress in the field of pulmonary fibrosis)

Hazel Birnie (had weeks to live after booze destroyed her liver, but no news for a long time)

Alisha Barnett (cancer bride who never smoked, yet has lung cancer, universal press coverage - and I probably should have picked her, though she still wants to run a marathon)

Julia Watson (turned author, "Breakfast, School Run, Chemo")

Milly Simmie (2017)

Valeri Spiridonov (the head transplant guy)

Dorothy Crosby (classic cancer bride)

Trevor Barlow (campaigner against asbestos that gave him mesothelioma)

Amber Guzman (one of those human barbies)

Andrew Culliford (not obitable anymore without regional BBC obits)

Paul Chippington (also pulmonary fibrosis)

Andrea Finlay (Taylor Swift's mom)

Ben King (a chef with cancer, probably already forgotten)

Jade Pateman (2017) now dead with qualifying obit

Lizzie Velasquez (who knows... definitely obitable though, as "the ugliest woman of the world")

Rebecca Griffiths (ran a half-marathon to defy cancer, won "Pride of Britain" of ITV Anglia West)

Penny Edwards (got cancer from too much tanning)

Aimee Willett/Bond (total silence, but was picked last year)

Garth Callaghan (a.k.a. Napkin Dad)

Greg Hudgens (Vanessa Hudgens' Dad) now dead with qualifying obit

Orla Tinsley (prominent pulmonary fibrosis campaigner, had a health improvement)

Ashley Harris Moore (she got the lung transplant she needed)

Georgia Davis - the overweight one

Jennifer Walker (some medical malpractice background story)

Sonny Lang (has cystic fibrosis) now dead with Mirror Obit

Sophie Sabbage (turned author, "The Cancer Whisperer")

David Smith (the paralympian who has to decide: cancer treatment or Olympic games)

Tom Cooper (I just realized, he died on Christmas with mirror/ITV obit, possibly because of his support from ManUtd)

Larry Rees (first name on the list), died on March 23rd:

https://pancreaticcanceraction.org/news/ali-stunt-pays-tribute-selfless-campaigner-larry-rees/

I guess I update the list...

Edit: List updated, 15/32 now.