Sign in to follow this  
gcreptile

George R. R. Martin

The lovably obese author of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

He's now getting more famous for not writing books than for writing them and for years, his fans have speculated that he will die without finishing his work.

Now he says that that he will not finish book 6 "The Winds of Winter" in time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/game-of-thrones/12077984/game-of-thrones-winds-of-winter-not-finished-george-rr-martin.html

The fans always find a new angle on how he betrays them with his laziness and obesity, a favorite comment from this thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/3z4q4h/george_rr_martin_the_winds_of_winter_will_not_be/

"Has it never occurred to anyone that maybe he just doesn't work very hard? Perhaps he was always kind of lazy and had a poor work ethic, and then it got worse with age, wealth and success? Or is something along those general lines impossible?

Seems the simplest and most likely explanation to me, as well as the most understandable, the most typical, and also the most 'blameworthy'. We know, for example, barring some unknown and never mentioned health issues, he never put any real effort into developing an exercise habit, nor had the self discipline for a healthy and balanced diet... seems like it could fit a trend.

I mean, who really knows. But every time this comes up people try and imagine these detailed and usually mitigating explanations. No one is ever like "maybe the guy just really likes to relax and take it easy.""

So maybe he's a lazy sloth who is eating his way to a heart attack?

• Like 1

I have him on my list, but then again, I'm a name whore, & have 200 people on my list. ;):P lol :/

• Like 1

I think the show version is turning out to be better than his version of the story, and he doesn't know where to go with it now.

• Like 2

I think the show version is turning out to be better than his version of the story, and he doesn't know where to go with it now.

Maybe... I mean, Tyrion's trip to Meereen with that other dwarf didn't really make sense... The show simply cut it out, just like the whole Jon Connington arc, of which I can't imagine what Martin intended with it. Plot-wise, I like book 4 probably more than book 5. Though, I can see why people complain about it.

• Like 1

Plot-wise, I like book 4 probably more than book 5. Though, I can see why people complain about it.

Ah, now when I had read about a fifth of book 4 I discovered that someone had created a way of rearranging books 4 and 5 so that they could be read as a single book. And it could be downloaded to an e-reader. So that's what I did. I have got the books anyway, so felt entitled to do that.

Never have followed Martin's career all that closely, people, although I do recall his early stories in 1970's era sci-fi magazines, which means I am most likely older than a good many here myself! :wheelchair: (although hopefully not quite that far along just yet. I believe he was involved along with Ellison in the so-so 1980's version of The Twilight Zone ehich did manage more good episodes than that more recent version from when 2000 or so? W/O Serling's influence, these revivals are pale ghosts for sureof the original :ghost4:

Plot-wise, I like book 4 probably more than book 5. Though, I can see why people complain about it.

Ah, now when I had read about a fifth of book 4 I discovered that someone had created a way of rearranging books 4 and 5 so that they could be read as a single book. And it could be downloaded to an e-reader. So that's what I did. I have got the books anyway, so felt entitled to do that.

Ah yes, I've heard of that. At least, I got to read the books so late I didn't have to wait for 6 years between book 4 and 5 like the fans, but instead read them one after the other last fall. But it's essentially true, book 4 and 5 are one book, plot-wise.

Ah yes, I've heard of that. At least, I got to read the books so late I didn't have to wait for 6 years between book 4 and 5 like the fans, but instead read them one after the other last fall. But it's essentially true, book 4 and 5 are one book, plot-wise.

Me too, I only read them recently. I suspect that GRRM originally intended 'A Feast For Crows' and 'A Dance With Dragons' to be a single book, but again his failure to meet deadlines caused problems. It wouldn't surprise me if they were officially merged and re-published at some time in the future.

Me too, I only read them recently. I suspect that GRRM originally intended 'A Feast For Crows' and 'A Dance With Dragons' to be a single book, but again his failure to meet deadlines caused problems. It wouldn't surprise me if they were officially merged and re-published at some time in the future.

I don't read the books, so can't tell you which is which, but I do know a few years ago, Martin was working on what was meant to be the final book in the series, only to realize he had written over 1500 pages and was nowhere close to a conclusion!

That sounds about right. :rolleyes:

remember when this guy released books

On 04/03/2021 at 12:13, odeon said:

remember when this guy released books

He's also a walking bouncy castle who's approaching his mid-70s.

His last release in the A Song of Ice and Fire series was in 2011 and he's still got two left. He's said that the next one may not be ready in time for a 2021 release(!), which gives me little hope that he'll even finish the series.

Did he just get bored and decide to sack it off after HBO gave him a big fuck off cheque to create Game of Thrones? Yes.
Does he give a fuck? No.
Is he a walking bouncy castle who'll explode before he finishes his work? Probably.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/07/2022 at 16:35, redlion said:

Got invected with Covid and misses Comic-Con. 

I’d post what a dumb-arse you are, but that would be invective.