Magere Hein

Johan Cruijff

According to Dutch news site nu.nl Johan Cruijff (68) is in poor health and has been checked in hospital, a spokesperson confirmed. She denied rumours in the Spanish press that he suffers from lung cancer.

ETA: The Sun reports the cancer, of course.

According to Dutch news site nu.nl Johan Cruijff (68) is in poor health and has been checked in hospital, a spokesperson confirmed. She denied rumours in the Spanish press that he suffers from lung cancer.

ETA: The Sun reports the cancer, of course.

Guardian, too:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/22/johan-cruyff-barcelona-ajax-holland-lung-cancer

German newssites as well.

Cruijff's management confirms the lung cancer diagnosis, reports nu.nl. While the medical examination is still going on and for his privacy, it won´t comment on his condition.

2016 material?

• Like 1

Assuming the cancer comes from his former 20-a-day habit, I'd say there's about an 80% chance of him going by the end of 2016. Can see him being a definite drop 40 pick and a DL item as well.

I'm sure he was two packs a day, minimum. .....though he jacked them in 25 years ago.

Topic split from "Time Added".

Cruijff's son Jordi reports that Johan is "doing very well". He gave no details on treatment of Cruijff's cancer, but stated: "I can tell that we heard reasonbably good news recvently."

I'd prefer solid medical evidence, but I think I did the right thing to leave Cruijff out of my teams.

Topic split from "Time Added".

Cruijff's son Jordi reports that Johan is "doing very well". He gave no details on treatment of Cruijff's cancer, but stated: "I can tell that we heard reasonbably good news recvently."

I'd prefer solid medical evidence, but I think I did the right thing to leave Cruijff out of my teams.

Just a guess based on knowing someone in a similar situation; the good news might revolve around one of a number of new treatments now showing positive results in this area, all of them based on prolonging quality of life, not saving it from the ravages of lung cancer. Cruiff is one of ours for sure and a decent pick IMHO, but doubtless he'll give it the Sam Simon stylee fight.

Is Cruijff the correct spelling? I always thought there was a y in it. Would that be an alternative way of writing the ij, or is it just for ignorant foreigners? :)

From what I understand, ij is considered a digraph in Dutch, rather than two separate letters, so names starting with ij have both letters capitalized (e.g. IJsbrand). Apparently it is basically the same as y (and is treated the same way when sorting alphabetically), so foreigners tend do spell ij as y (Ruud van Nistelrooy is another example).

Is Cruijff the correct spelling? I always thought there was a y in it. Would that be an alternative way of writing the ij, or is it just for ignorant foreigners? :)

Cruijff is the correct spelling. The spelling Cruyff is, well what?

This is a subject about which the Dutch only speak in whispers and hints, preferably with no ignorant foreigners around. Primary schools and children´s books teach that Dutch is written in an alphabet of 26 letters: [a-x], [ij], [z]. This is doctrine, dissident thoughts amount to treason. Dutch orthography uses [a-x], [ij], [y], [z], a total of 27 letters.

Y is only used in loanwords, with two different pronunciations, similar to English yoghurt and system, although y in Dutch systeem is pronounced like ee in English deep. In ordinary Dutch words those sounds are written j for the consonant and ie for the vowel. In standard Dutch the digraph ij represents a diphthong (ɛi in IPA), not used in English, and which some Dutch dialects, mine including, pronounce as English eye, others use ee like in English deep. This latter pronunciation was standard into the 18th century and written as ij and y indiscriminately until standardisation of Dutch spelling in the 19th century.

Anyway, the Dutch are in denial about that 27th letter and won't let ignorant foreigners in on their secrets. A clever ploy has been to change ij to y and hope nobody takes notice. It only matters in proper names (my beloved Feyenoord is named after the Rotterdam neighbourhood Feijenoord, itself named after a former island with yet another spelling, Fijenoord); no ignorant foreigner reads Dutch anyway.

The string of vowels in Cruijff is pronounced œy (in IPA), a sound that Scots (and French) can do, but English, Merkins and Strayans can't and most often pronounce his name rhyming with strife. The r is supposed to be rolled, but is often realised as a short ch as in Scottish loch. In modern Dutch his name would be spelled Kruif. The c and ij in Cruijff are an earlier spelling, fossilised by laws introducing and governing a civil registry and family names and their inheritance during the French occupation in 1811.

Edited by Magere Hein
More boring details
  • Like 3

Cruijff is the correct spelling. The spelling Cruyff is, well what?

This is a subject about which the Dutch only speak in whispers and hints, preferably with no ignorant foreigners around. Primary schools and children´s books teach that Dutch is written in an alphabet of 26 letters: [a-x], [ij], [z]. This is doctrine, dissident thoughts amount to treason. Dutch orthography uses [a-x], [ij], [y], [z], a total of 27 letters.

Y is only used in loanwords, with two different pronunciations, similar to English yoghurt and system, although y in Dutch systeem is pronounced like ee in English deep. In ordinary Dutch words those sounds are written j for the consonant and ie for the vowel. In standard Dutch the digraph ij represents a diphtong (ɛi in IPA), not used in English, and which some Dutch dialects, mine including, pronounce as English "eye", others use ee like in English "deep". This latter pronunciation was standard into the 18th century and written as ij and y indiscriminately until standardisation of Dutch spelling in the 19th century.

Anyway, the Dutch are in denial about that 27th letter and won't let ignorant foreigners in on their secrets. A clever ploy has been to change ij to y and hope nobody takes notice. It only matters in proper names (my beloved Feyenoord is named after the Rotterdam neighbourhoud Feijenoord, itself named after a former island with yet another spelling, Fijenoord), no ignorant foreigner reads Dutch anyway.

The string of vowels in Cruijff is pronounced œy (in IPA), a sound that Scots can do, but English, Merkins and Strayans can't, and the latter most often pronounce his name rhyming with strife. In modern Dutch his name would be spelled Kruif..

I thought Cruyff was when it's spelt phonetically.

Cruyff says he is "2-0 up" in his battle with cancer.

"Right now, I have the feeling that I am 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet," he added.

"But I am sure I will end up winning." :skull:

"Right now, I have the feeling that I am 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet," he added.

"But I am sure I will end up winning." :skull:

He better hope his white cells don't bugger off after 77 mins...

• Like 1

respects.gif

:rip: Well, called that one wrong. Mind you, so did nearly everyone not named Thomas Jefferson Survives.

Oh dear. That was sooner than I expected.

Joining Feyernood for one season just because Ajax wouldn't give him an improved contract is perhaps the finest moment of pure petulance in sporting history. What a man.

• Like 1

So, at half time the opposing manager's team talk involved ways of stopping him playing!

• Like 1

So, at half time the opposing manager's team talk involved ways of stopping him playing!

Cruyff's chief oncologist, Dr M Skrtel, says he has no idea what went wrong.

• Like 3

The Dutchie has passed....

• Like 1

My fourth Deathrace hit - now over halfway to the total. I'll get there.

Puts the Crowdsourced List ahead for the first time?

• Like 3