Magere Hein

Johan Cruijff

Topic split from "Time Added".

Cruijff's son Jordi reports that Johan is "doing very well". He gave no details on treatment of Cruijff's cancer, but stated: "I can tell that we heard reasonbably good news recvently."

I'd prefer solid medical evidence, but I think I did the right thing to leave Cruijff out of my teams.

Oh no, I didn't. Damn!

Well, shit. All of y'all were saying he'd probably survive the year so I don't think I had him in anything. Moral of the story: Never listen to other deadpoolers. They're out to get you.

It seems like this guy was very popular.

Could've gone on the DL, certainly have been a nice change from the nonagenarians

Joining Feyernood for one season just because Ajax wouldn't give him an improved contract is perhaps the finest moment of pure petulance in sporting history. What a man.

And better: winning the Eredivisie (Ajax 3rd) and the KNVB Cup (final won 1-0 against Fortuna Sittard).

I just watched charon's video, some of the footage there was of the 1974 Wold Cup, including the final. That was the first world cup I watched. I well remember how perfectly normal that kind of footy was then. Later in life I realised what an exceptional footballer Cruijff was.

Cruijff's comments on football were magic. Sometimes screaming nonsense, never in correct Dutch, often blindingly obvious and always entertaining. My favourite: "Als wij de bal hebben kunnen hun niet scoren." ("If we have the ball, them can't score").

Damn!

• Like 1

I think the positive reports emanating from the Cruyff camp suggested a 2017 pick for most of us.

I think the positive reports emanating from the Cruyff camp suggested a 2017 pick for most of us.

Of course I considered Cruijff for my Minions of Xuleneb theme team, but he deceived me. Can't trust those Amsterdammers.

• Like 2

I never considered him likely to go this year (let alone so early in the year) but he'd have made my Nederlandse Deadpool team (if such a thing still existed).

Well, shit. All of y'all were saying he'd probably survive the year so I don't think I had him in anything. Moral of the story: Never listen to other deadpoolers. They're out to get you.

I think I have you down as picking him in Magere's new multi-lingual deadpool, thereby ruining my unique pick, so not a total miss for you. :D

• Like 1

Guest Droosy

he was cool for a skinny, greasy-haired white guy!!

I didn't pick him in the MHDP which despite my DDP punt on him shows I was convinced he'd become a dud, since if I thought he was still even a 50/50 he'd have a spot there. But still, with him and Rob Ford dead in the span of three days, lack of confidence in my survivors seems to be a death knell now :skull:

EDIT: Also, my rationale for picking him in the DDP when many steered clear of him was well... lung cancer's a bastard, and I had a feeling he might've been overly optimistic given the factors of being a former smoker and having had health issues in the past.

• Like 1

Guest derek

"Joining Feyernood for one season" - he was mentioned on Radio Scotland the other day with regard to this; Feyenoord played St. Mirren in a European competition that year and one of the Saints players nutmegged Cruyff.

I've spent much of the afternoon wondering if he'd turn in his grave.

Joining Feyernood for one season just because Ajax wouldn't give him an improved contract is perhaps the finest moment of pure petulance in sporting history. What a man.

And better: winning the Eredivisie (Ajax 3rd) and the KNVB Cup (final won 1-0 against Fortuna Sittard).

I just watched charon's video, some of the footage there was of the 1974 Wold Cup, including the final. That was the first world cup I watched. I well remember how perfectly normal that kind of footy was then. Later in life I realised what an exceptional footballer Cruijff was.

Cruijff's comments on football were magic. Sometimes screaming nonsense, never in correct Dutch, often blindingly obvious and always entertaining. My favourite: "Als wij de bal hebben kunnen hun niet scoren." ("If we have the ball, them can't score").

Damn!

When I was a lad, us boys ( all footie fanatics) would play games like 'World Cup' where we would decide which international footballer we wanted to be and play against each other, scoring a goal to go through to the next round etc.

I was always the Dutch master or Keegan or a Spurs player.

Do kids actually do that now or do they just play the games on Xboxes and stuff??

I didn't pick him in the MHDP which despite my DDP punt on him shows I was convinced he'd become a dud, since if I thought he was still even a 50/50 he'd have a spot there. But still, with him and Rob Ford dead in the span of three days, lack of confidence in my survivors seems to be a death knell now :skull:

EDIT: Also, my rationale for picking him in the DDP when many steered clear of him was well... lung cancer's a bastard, and I had a feeling he might've been overly optimistic given the factors of being a former smoker and having had health issues in the past.

As I said, all your gambles are moving in your favour. I think you're the new favorite now.

Did the doctors pull wool over our eyes or was it a very sudden downturn? Quite a surprise... This seems to be a year where everyone with cancer actually dies, as a contrast to last year when many of the usual suspects survived. Doesn't bode well for Diski (though that would not be a surprise anymore), or let's see, who else is left of the usual suspects, Sharon Jones, Caroline Aherne and the like.

Did the doctors pull wool over our eyes or was it a very sudden downturn? Quite a surprise... This seems to be a year where everyone with cancer actually dies, as a contrast to last year when many of the usual suspects survived. Doesn't bode well for Diski (though that would not be a surprise anymore), or let's see, who else is left of the usual suspects, Sharon Jones, Caroline Aherne and the like.

Kate Granger seems likely to die.

Helen Fawkes not doing so great either.

And I'm hoping it's finally Daisy Berkowitz's time.

It's no coincidence that el Salvador died at easter..... :(

Football was His passion.

68 years old. 6+8=....

80618-thumb-full-johan_cruijff.jpg

68 years old. 6+8=....

Mourn-dy Thursday.

• Like 1

68 years old. 6+8=....

Mourn-dy Thursday.

Mouldy Thursday?

CeWWdXuWAAQf1q9.jpg

The Guardian pays tribute to Rob Rensenbrink, who must also have died yesterday.

• Like 1

CeWWdXuWAAQf1q9.jpg

The Guardian pays tribute to Rob Rensenbrink, who must also have died yesterday.

Oh Grauniad....

Rensenbrink with his ALS derivative is more a name for 2019 on, events not withstanding...

Big Wim in the background chaplin.gif