Sean

Personal Thoughts On Death

^ Disclaimer: MSc, not msc. Yours truly was merely a BA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am sure that clinical depression and just being desperately unhappy because of circumstances are two very different things.  Yet both get lumped together as "mental health issues".

Having suffered from depression for over 10 years, and taking 5 tablets a day for that and anxiety. Having said that , I’ve always been open with regards to it with family and friends so when things go awry- like they did last Summer, they can intervene.

Having said that , death does and doesn’t scare me. It’s the manner of going. The pain of cancer scares me the most having seen that with my Nan and Aunt. But equally I saw my Grandfather who was a miserable man turn into an even worse human as he lived through his 80s and into his 90s. Oddly my Dad at 74 is slowly turning more grumpy with ailments so I can see him going the same way if he lives that long (given the genes it’s likely and he’s never smoked and rarely drinks).

If I get to mid 70s I’ll be happy. 

Meh, never been scared of my own death, in fact I’m rather nonchalant about it. I predict I’ll have a short life (well, I mean, I’m 2 attempts down thanks to my horrible, horrible mind) and I make no bones about the fact that it could be tomorrow neath a train, or I could get on top of things and it could be in 60 years time with a pickled liver. Fuck knows. I’m not worried. Maybe I will if I ever feel truly content with my life, who knows? But as macabre an attitude about my own mortality as that is, it does kind of alleviate any anxieties I’d otherwise have about it, so it makes life if anything a bit simpler from my point of view. 

At this present moment, though, I’m okay; I intent to ‘get better’ so to speak and go on until I’m an octogenarian, cantankerous old fuck. But if I don’t? Meh. That’s just how it goes innit.

Its seems quite a few members of this forum have or have had depression at a young age fortunately, I am not one of those people but since a bunch of you mentioned it. There's alot of research showing that high internet use and a lack of socialization is a major risk factor in depression. With that information I would recommend that most of the younger users should go out more often which is something I am defiantly planning to do more often once I turn 18

And now on to the topic of my slowly impending mortality. I predict that I'll go anywhere between 65 and 90 which is around the average life expectancy for most. My dads genes at the moment appear to be very good with both of his parents alive and in excellent health for there age while my mom has poorer genes with her dad dying of a heart attack at a relatively young age and her mothers health becoming to fail before she reaches 70. I hope I live to a good age and have a happy life. I am not afraid of death but I don't want to die within the next 50 years. 

Hats off to joey and quinn I hope you two find a way out of the dark,cruel maze of depression.

Ok, ok, ok.

Essentially, we are born, we live and then we die.

That is about it.

"I am a fatalist. Absolutely. When it's time, it's time."

– Eddie Cheever

Tonight I finally made a spreadsheet I've been toying with in my head for a while. A garden of remembrance if you will, it's a list of people I've known personally who are now gone.

Like it or not I've reached an age where that's a pretty long list of people I've known that I'll never see again.

Sub pages for relatives near and far, friends, and even people that I just knew peripherally such as "Mick down the pub" who for reasons I wish I'd paid more attention to at the time strung himself up in his garage.

It just all seems so tragic.

I am starting to hugely sympathise with that saying from old folks "I've had enough, everyone I ever knew is already gone".

Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of folks still around that aren't on the sheet and I'm not 90 so there's some time yet and life to be lived, but, ha, we're probably all slightly morbid (realistic?) souls or we'd not be here.

Note to self: even though you don't drink that much these days, 4 tins and a bunch of minor key songs is sometimes a worse idea than just hitting the sack.

• Like 2