Knick-knack paddywhack,
Give a dog a bone...

Authorities say a boy was rushed to the hospital after a dog bit his arm off Sunday afternoon.  According to Salt Lake TV station KUTV, a 4-year-old boy was playing in his backyard when he went over to a chain-link fence that separated his yard from a neighbor with two huskies.  The boy stuck his hand through the fence to pet the dogs when one bit him on the mid-forearm, ripping off his lower arm and hand.  The boy was taken to the hospital in stable condition.

The dog was found about an hour after the incident, and authorities believe it may have eaten the arm and hand.
SC

A female elephant known as the “saddest in the world” has died after living alone in a zoo for 43 years. 

The Asian elephant, named Flavia, died at Cordoba Zoo in southern Spain last week, where she had lived since she was three years old.

Her physical health was said to have deteriorated during the last six months before her death.

She was also reported to suffer from depression.  :(

Goddamn saddest story in the world.  Now saddest on DL :(
SC

• Sad 3

A man has been mauled to death by a lion caged at his family home in the eastern Czech Republic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47454610

Michal Prasek owned the nine-year-old big cat and another lioness for breeding, reportedly drawing concern from local residents.

Mr Prasek's father found his body in the lion's cage and told local media it had been locked from the inside.

The animals - living in separate pens - were shot dead by police called to the scene.

A police spokesperson told local media that the shootings were "absolutely necessary for them to get to the man".

Mr Prasek, 33, bought the lion in 2016 and the lioness last year, and kept them both in home-made enclosures in his back yard in the village of Zdechov.

He had previously been denied planning permission to build the pens, and was subsequently fined for illegal breeding.

But his conflict with the authorities reached a stalemate after he refused to let anyone onto his property.

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

A man has been mauled to death by a lion caged at his family home in the eastern Czech Republic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47454610

Michal Prasek owned the nine-year-old big cat and another lioness for breeding, reportedly drawing concern from local residents.

Mr Prasek's father found his body in the lion's cage and told local media it had been locked from the inside.

The animals - living in separate pens - were shot dead by police called to the scene.

A police spokesperson told local media that the shootings were "absolutely necessary for them to get to the man".

Mr Prasek, 33, bought the lion in 2016 and the lioness last year, and kept them both in home-made enclosures in his back yard in the village of Zdechov.

He had previously been denied planning permission to build the pens, and was subsequently fined for illegal breeding.

But his conflict with the authorities reached a stalemate after he refused to let anyone onto his property.

It's not fucking necessary to fucking shoot a pair of fucking lions to get to a fucking DEAD man.  They knew he was dead (he had been mauled). 

SC

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

It's not fucking necessary to fucking shoot a pair of fucking lions to get to a fucking DEAD man.  They knew he was dead (he had been mauled). 

No, it probably isn't.

But it wouldn't have come to that if the fucking Lions had never been in a fucking cage in some fucking blokes back garden in the first place.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Especially not if, as stated in the article, the lions were kept in separate pens. Shooting one may have been necessary, but why the need for the other? 

And has no-one there ever heard of tranquilizer guns? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Especially not if, as stated in the article, the lions were kept in separate pens. Shooting one may have been necessary, but why the need for the other? 

And has no-one there ever heard of tranquilizer guns? 

If you read the whole article, the Authorities didn't want the lions anywhere in the country so must have taken advantage of the situation and instructed the police to kill them :(

A Vermont town has elected a goat as mayor...

• Haha 1

Whilst puttering about offshore early this morning, I'm 99% sure I saw an albatross gliding overhead.

I thought my eyes had deceived me, but according to Twitter a black-browed albatross was seen in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago, so I guess this was the same one.   

Amazing to see such a magnificent bird so close to home, it's really made my day. :)

FAL-2017-West_Point_Island,_Falkland_Isl

(Photo for illustrative purposes only, by the time I'd got my phone set up to camera, my albatross was long gone)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The UKs ugliest dug, Chase aged 16, deid.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/britains-ugliest-dog-died-aged-2689157

Had came third in The Worlds in 2017, so there are 2 uglier than he was.

0_uglydog.jpg

• Sad 3

World's Oldest Mule dies at 56 down in Cork.

As it was from liver failure, I'm guessing old Tootsie was from Moscow.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/kick-the-bucket-worlds-oldest-mule-tootsie-56-dies-in-cork-37959205.html

• Sad 1

From the world's most deadliest bird to the least deadliest bird....
A fast-moving blaze at a farm in Pennsylvania's Amish country has left about 1,000 turkeys dead.

WGAL-TV reports the fire started Tuesday morning at around 3 a.m. at a turkey coop in Denver, about 63 miles west of Philadelphia. All turkeys inside were killed and the structure was destroyed. The blaze was brought under control about an hour after it started.
SC

Peregrine falcons are breeding again. Click on the links for live cameras.

Exeter - St Michael & All Angels Mount Dinham

Note: DDT is hazardous to breeding falcons. :o  :lol:

Exeter.jpg

Leicester Cathedral - Camera 1

Leicester1.jpg

Leicester Cathedral - Camera 2

Leicester2.jpg

Nottingham - Trent University

Select the camera on the web page.

Please note to view the falcon cameras you will need to ensure the Flash plugin is enabled on your browser. 

Nottingham1.jpg

Nottingham2.jpg

University of Sheffield

Select the camera on the web page.

Sheffield1.jpg

Sheffield2.jpg

Nottingham's have already hatched.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Peregrine falcons are breeding again. Click on the links for live cameras.

Nottingham's have already hatched.

You know who doesn't like Peregrine Falcons? No righter fuckwits.

Oh, and pigeons.  I guess they have an excuse. :lol:

• Haha 1

Detroit has had a falcon family for 20 years or so.  I worked on 26th floor of Comerica Tower and one day one of them landed on my 12’ window overlooking Canada.  Stayed a bit then  *poof*, it was gone.

SC

Don't we have a "one uplifting story on DL per year" quota?  Here 'tis.

Tens of thousands of people around the world, and their pet dogs, have been reaching out to help a 7-year-old Wisconsin girl who is battling cancer.   
In last couple of weeks it seems like the whole world has been reaching out to Hartland, Wisconsin first grader, Emma Mertens. 
In late January, Emma was diagnosed with DIPG, a rare brain tumor.   A family friend thought it would be nice to raise the spirits of the little animal lover with a letter from her dog. She asked her friends to do the same. 
In just a few weeks, Emma has received more than 75,000 notes from dogs all over the world. 
SC

Grupo A results are in!

Alligator 2 

Dug 0

Human 0

A Florida man was so upset after an alligator mauled his dog to death at a park that he took his own life.

Java was a service dog for 36-year-old Andrew Epp, who suffered mental health issues.

Epp was so distraught, his family says he took his own life the very next day.

SC