53 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Dug 0

You've gone native very fast. :P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

You've gone native very fast. :P

Aye, when in... er........ Rome?....

• Haha 1

A leopard attacks and kills a game park employee's 2-year old son.
SC

A motorcyclist died Thursday night after hitting a deer west of Lebanon, IN.  

When first responders arrived, the motorcyclist was located and transported to a Witham Hospital by ambulance, where the sheriff’s office say he was pronounced dead.  Officers say the deer was found deceased due to the impact.
SC

A dead woman discovered over the weekend in a Costco parking lot in California had been attacked by dogs, according to Bakersfield police.  The woman — who was homeless, in her 30s or 40s and has not been identified — was found with traumatic dog attack injuries around 6 a.m.

SC

In case you didn't already know, this week is National Swift Awareness Week.

Before you die, please take a few minutes to find out why they're perhaps one of the world's greatest birds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Before you die, please take a few minutes to find out why they're perhaps one of the world's greatest birds.

Not a swift read but lots of incredible facts.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Did you follow the Exeter St Michael & All Angels Mount Dinham falcons?

• Like 1

As a lad I never could tell the difference between a swift and a swallow. Soon remedied that when I grew up, mind. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Did you follow the Exeter St Michael & All Angels Mount Dinham falcons?

Not recently, but when I was at college many moons ago, I used to be able to see them from the window of my politics class.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Not recently, but when I was at college many moons ago, I used to be able to see them from the window of my politics class.  

I worked on the 26th floor of Comerica Tower in downtown Detroit, where a nesting pair of peregrines reside (they reside in the city, not my ledge lol).  One day one of them decided to rest (or perch? lol) on the ledge outside the massive 16' window I had overlooking Detroit River and Canada.  About 10 minutes later -- gone.  But fun while it lasted.

SC 

The body of a boy was recovered from a pond.  Police say the 12-year-old was playing with his three younger brothers Tuesday night.  "Rescue personnel learned that four brothers, ages 7, 11, 11 and 12, came to the pond to release a turtle. The boy was in the pond for approximately 1 and a half to 2 hours before being recovered.
SC

As Sir Creep was driving through wee Zephyr, TX...

5427C0A5-4FB9-4585-9857-4C369EBA192F.jpeg

3E349052-75E8-40A4-81B4-5FC478AC7B75.jpeg

• Like 2

A Washington (state) woman, hoping an octopus on the face would make for a prize-winning photo, instead wound up with something she never expected: a faceful of pain and a trip to the hospital.

Jamie Bisceglia was participating in a fishing derby in the South Sound near the Tacoma Narrows Bridge last Friday when a group of men in the competition snagged an octopus.  Bisceglia, 45, recalled asking the men for the juvenile Pacific octopus they’d snagged, saying, “I’d like to eat it for dinner.”  She asked a number of men to take a photo of her with the sea creature, intending to enter the snap in the derby’s photography contest: “It’s soft, it’s squishy, it doesn’t feel like it can hurt you — I put it on my face.”

Jamie was sent to the hospital after posing for a photo with an octopus on her face last Friday.

And at first, that wasn’t so bad. “The tentacles were squirming in my ear, my nose, it was just playing with me on my face,” she said.

Jamie Bisceglia told Fox News she asked a group of men to photograph her with the octopus

“And then all of a sudden its beak entered my chin and my eyes popped open wide and they could all see that I was getting attacked, and the photos are taken at the moment it was attacking me.”

The sensation was vivid and unforgettable. “Oh my gosh,” she said, “when it bites you it feels like it’s barbed and if I pulled it out it was going to take out my flesh.”  Once she eventually pulled the octopus off, she said, the pain was so intense, and the bleeding lasted for a half-hour.  She still didn’t go to the hospital for two days, determined to finish two back-to-back fishing derbies first.  Between derbies, she even went to a friend’s house, cooked the octopus for dinner and “enjoyed a beautiful meal that was delicious. I got a little revenge,” she added.

The next day she competed in the second derby. But when she woke up after, she realized she had to see a doctor immediately.   “I could tell I couldn’t swallow properly and I could tell when I opened my eyes it was kind of blurry, the left side of my face, my throat, my glands were swollen and it felt my left side of my face was paralyzed,” Bisceglia said.

Doctors informed her the swelling could last for months. And “I have to take tons of medicine, three different heavy doses of antibiotics and I’m taking milk thistle, which is supposed to help with the venom.”

octo-ft.jpg

• Haha 2

Never seen Alien then.

Probably better if she doesn't now.

15 hours ago, En Passant said:

Never seen Alien then.

Probably better if she doesn't now.

She may not have to watch it lol...
what is the gestation period?..... 

A bit of irony from the animal kingdom.

0186CDF9-1C30-496A-AA98-7B92CB9273A7.jpeg

3490094C-2999-463D-88C2-6EBFF871454C.jpeg

• Haha 1

The number of elephants in a Thai national park that died trying to save a baby elephant from drowning has risen to 11, officials said Tuesday.

Thai authorities initially said six elephants were dead after a roughly 3-year-old elephant drowned at Khao Yai National Park, about 85 miles northeast of Bangkok. Five other elephants were thought to have jumped into Haew Narok Waterfall to try to save the baby.

A drone has since located another five dead elephants near Haew Narok, the park's tallest waterfall.

Fucking awful.
SC

• Sad 3

Officials at a Springfield zoo say that the oldest living Asiatic black bear in captivity has died.

Henson Robinson Zoo announced Friday that the bear named Mandy was euthanized after veterinarian staff members assessed her when she started exhibiting unusual behaviors.  The Mandy was born in West Virginia in 1984 and moved to Henson Robinson in 1986. She and her companion Boo-Boo lived together for more than 33 years.

• Sad 1

A supermarket on Lantau Island had some unexpected visitors on Thursday night, when a group of hungry bulls wandered the aisles and fed on fruit, prompting a concern group to call for more public awareness of diminishing grasslands and the dangers of humans feeding wild animals.

At least three of the animals were filmed in a ParknShop outlet, enjoying a buffet of fruit displayed in cold storage units and on shelves close to the entrance.

The bovines munched on apples and cherries but ignored a banana held out by a customer. They reportedly lingered in the shop for a short while before leaving.

SC

Whale washed up in East Lothian had 'agonising death'

_109266966_whale.jpg

A whale found on an East Lothian beach suffered some of the "most severe" entanglement wounds ever recorded on Scotland's coast

During a necropsy carried out on Monday, SMASS experts discovered the whale had been entangled long enough for the cord to work its way through the skin and blubber layer and into the underlying muscle layer.

In some places, the skin had grown over the top of the rope, while in others it had set up a deep tissue infection and abscesses.

There were goose barnacles attached to the rope - an indication, the experts said, that the entanglement had considerably slowed the swimming capabilities of the animal.

• Sad 1

Colorado zookeepers have announced the death of Mongo, a penguin believed to be the oldest African penguin in captivity in North America.

The Pueblo Chieftain reported Thursday that 38-year-old Mongo died overnight Wednesday while in captivity at the Pueblo Zoo.

Scientists say the endangered African penguin lives an average of 20 years.

SC