A newborn baby boy died tragically on Friday, when a pack of monkeys stole him from his parents and threw him off a roof.

According to multiple reports, Nirdesh Upadhyay of Bareilly, India, was standing on his third-floor roof terrace with his wife and the child when the animals landed and surrounded them. 

Nirdesh reportedly tried to run away from them with the 4-month-old, when the baby fell out of his hands to the ground and one of the monkeys grabbed him before he could pick him back up and threw him over the side.

SC

For the past week or so, Finland has been following the antics of a walrus who ended up in Kotka after making appearances in Norway, Denmark and Sweden. As the Baltic Sea is not an ideal habitat for the walrus, it was starving and weak and eventually she passed away yesterday evening. 

39-98377362d6613139fb6

• Sad 1

A week after reports of his failing health, giant panda An An was euthanised this morning, aged 35, which is the equivalent to 105 human years.

You may remember his long time female companion Jia Jia who died at 38 in 2016. An An and Jia Jia were born in Sichuan and were gifted from mainland China to Hong Kong in 1999.

• Sad 2

Early Twitter celebrity cat Sockington, who amassed 1.5 million followers in 2009 and once ranked among the site's 100 most-followed users, has died at the age of 18.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A man who had just attended the funeral of his brother, who was killed by a snakebite, has also died after being bitten by a snake.

Govind Mishara, 22, went to the funeral of his brother, Arvind Mishara, aged 38, on Wednesday in Bhawanipur village, India. Arvind died of a snakebite on Tuesday.

Govind Mishara was killed after being bitten by a snake in his sleep.  One of the relatives of the family, Chandrashekar Pandey, who was in the same house, was also bitten by a snake.

SC

Mrs. Wolowitz, Edinburgh zoo's oldest penguin, a 35 yo Rockhopper, dead following a fox attack.

(Maybe this solves the mystery of what happened to @rockhopper penguin)

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Gated community; more like gatored community.

An elderly woman was killed by an alligator in her gated community after she slipped into a pond while gardening near where the creature was lurking. 
The body of the woman, identified as 88-year-old Nancy Becker, was spotted near an alligator in Sun City Hilton Head, a gated adult community city just north of Savannah in South Carolina.

SC

Video of a crocodile dragging a dead man’s body through the water in Mexico.

SC

A male elephant ripped its handler in half after it was made to haul wood during hot weather, Thai police said.

The 20-year-old elephant, called Pom Pam, stabbed Supachai Wongfaed, 33, with its tusks several times last Wednesday, MailOnline reported.

Pom Pam then tore Wongfaed in half, leaving a pool of blood, according to police,

42 minutes ago, arghton said:

World's oldest two-headed tortoise turns 25. Two heads, two hearts, two pairs of lungs.

janus.png.d0308ba1f2b38275114c730eb6cbf00d.png

Doesn't that make them conjoined twins? If we're going by human standards, it wouldn't make sense to refer to Abby and Brittany Hensel as a single person (although I did watch a video which called them "a woman with 2 heads").

• Like 3

On 21/07/2022 at 08:14, drol said:

A week after reports of his failing health, giant panda An An was euthanised this morning, aged 35, which is the equivalent to 105 human years.

You may remember his long time female companion Jia Jia who died at 38 in 2016. An An and Jia Jia were born in Sichuan and were gifted from mainland China to Hong Kong in 1999.

Taiwan giant panda Tuan Tuan of Tuan Tuan and Yuan Yuan (wiki ) has been in ill health recently. At 18, he is relatively old for a panda.

• Like 1

University of Oxford have announced the death of Emmanuelle, their resident tortoise of over 46 years.

Emmanuelle celebrated her "119th birthday" earlier this year, though in recent years her age has been revised down to between 80 and 100.

The tortoise was featured on Blue Peter during the 1980s.

Emmanuelle-A5-front-cover-e1664794790849.jpg.10691025947cc92563cb928a76b25ab5.jpg

• Like 2

Pebbles (wiki mention), Guinness World Record holder for the world's oldest dog, dead at 22.

split-black-and-white-image-of-pebbles-wearing-a-bandana-and-pebbles-posing-with-her-gwr-certificate_tcm25-720339.jpg.c4fa3de39031d7d8f69edf0efb2e4a7b.jpg

@Paul Bearer, can this thread please be moved to general? I enjoy posting in here but I get the impression a lot of folk don't see it in extra-curricular.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@Paul Bearer, can this thread please be moved to general? I enjoy posting in here but I get the impression a lot of folk don't see it in extra-curricular.

See, I miss it where the posts in this thread were antics, as per the title, rather than just deaths.

I think there should be two separate threads - a death-based one in General, and this Antics one here in EC.

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

See, I miss it where the posts in this thread were antics, as per the title, rather than just deaths.

I think there should be two separate threads - a death-based one in General, and this Antics one here in EC.

Your bezzie, SC, has been posting plenty and you haven't been acknowledging any of them! :( 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Your bezzie, SC, has been posting plenty and you haven't been acknowledging any of them! :( 

I think you’ll agree, not much of what he ever has to say warrants acknowledging.

No need for whataboutery here; move the deaths to the general section.

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Pebbles (wiki mention), Guinness World Record holder for the world's oldest dog, dead at 22.

split-black-and-white-image-of-pebbles-wearing-a-bandana-and-pebbles-posing-with-her-gwr-certificate_tcm25-720339.jpg.c4fa3de39031d7d8f69edf0efb2e4a7b.jpg

Seriously, there's nothing stopping you starting a new thread regarding animal deaths.  I think the only person here that would have a moan fest would be SC.. Feel free to create one about dead animals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Seriously, there's nothing stopping you starting a new thread regarding animal deaths.  I think the only person here that would have a moan fest would be SC.. Feel free to create one about dead animals. 

Even better. In that case I definitely will create one. :D 

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 17:11, Ulitzer95 said:

I assume the title goes to the earlier holder, chihuahua TobyKeith again.

tobykeith.png.c23b12281ae344fcfd00cca6fc45453e.png

(Wikipedia claims there are two older ones, but are those verified in any way?)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arghton said:

I assume the title goes to the earlier holder, chihuahua TobyKeith again.

tobykeith.png.c23b12281ae344fcfd00cca6fc45453e.png

(Wikipedia claims there are two older ones, but are those verified in any way?)

No, they’re not verified. One is in Russia. Not sure of the other you’ve come across?

• Like 1

Two young children are dead and their mother suffered major injuries after two family dogs attacked a baby and toddler outside their West Tennessee home.

Kirstie Bennard, 30, suffered critical injuries when she tried to intervene in the attack on her 5-month-old boy, Hollace Dean, and 2-year-old girl, Lilly Jane.

"She put her body on top of Lilly’s to try and protect her after the attack started," Bennard's uncle by marriage, Jeff Gibson told USA TODAY. "Both (dogs) started attacking her while she lay on Lilly."

It was not immediately known what provoked the mauling.

Oh I have an idea what it was…

The dogs – two pit bulls that belonged to the family – were euthanized at Memphis Animal Services.

SC

• Like 2