This could have all been avoided if she was just given a little ninety cent birthday card and maybe tickets to a concert or a Broadway show.

Maybe her husband considered that, but as he would also have to pay for the air-fare from Australia to the US he deemed the camel to be a cheaper option.

I like the bit in the aricle where it mentions the "expert" "who has offered camel rides to tourists " - I'm sure that didn't mean THIS kind of ride!

This could have all been avoided if she was just given a little ninety cent birthday card and maybe tickets to a concert or a Broadway show.

Good grief BS. She lived in the outback -- miles away from anything -- a broadway show would be about as much use to her as a condom would be to the Pope.

A camel would be a very good present for someone on a sheep farm to use as a pack animal. Shame it was a randy one.

Čabulītis, thought to have been one of Europe's oldest captive alligators, dies. The source is in Latvian, by the way.

Alex, an African grey parrot known for showing an understanding of various words, dies. The causes are currently unknown, but Monday will have more details.

Bad news for Nepalese goats, good news for Nepalese holidaymakers!

New goat-intensive airliner maintenance procedures announced by Nepal Airlines.

Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft.
"The snag in the plane has now been fixed and the aircraft has resumed its flights," said Raju K.C., a senior airline official, without explaining what the problem had been.

I'm not going to put this in the Deathlist Bereavment thread, but here is probably an appropriate place to mourn the passing of The Original Sonny Boy Williamson, Scourge of Squirrels, Slayer of Foxes at whose name local felines cringed in fear.

So long, Sonny Boy, I'll miss you.

xtremecloseup.jpg

A superb bit of hopping there!

Nice avatar, Fellate.

Washoe the signing chimp has died aged 42

Please note: that's "signing", not "singing"!

She was "one of the first [chimps] to learn American Sign Language when, in 1966, University of Nevada researchers Allen and Beatrix Gardner began teaching Washoe to sign. Washoe ... would eventually acquire a vocabulary purported to consist of more than 200 words"

God, that takes me back to my Linguistics classes!

Trouble, the dog that was left $6m by Leona Helmsley has been receiving death threats

Nonja, the world's oldest orang-utan, has died in Miami at the grand old age of 55. :sicktherm:

Bruiser, has died "six weeks short of becoming the world’s oldest living dog".

Not to sure why they had to use the word "living" in the above sentence - "the world's oldest dead dog" would not make much sense. "Bluey", the title-holder died in 1939.

Not to sure why they had to use the word "living" in the above sentence

The world's oldest living person is Edna Parker. The world's oldest person is Jeanne Calment, if that clears up the nomenclature. I suppose that was an opening to be witty, but it's too early here.

Once we pass noon, it'll be too late. :skull:

The world's oldest living person is Edna Parker. The world's oldest person is Jeanne Calment, if that clears up the nomenclature. I suppose that was an opening to be witty, but it's too early here.

I take your point, CP, but the article states "Bluey, who died in 1939, remains the oldest living dog on record", so I'm still confused - surely the use of the word "living" is superfluous!

I take your point, CP, but the article states "Bluey, who died in 1939, remains the oldest living dog on record", so I'm still confused - surely the use of the word "living" is superfluous!

I hadn't even noticed that. That's not superfluous, just stupid. Were this the DL grammar thread, I'd rant further. As it stands, I'll try not distract the topic any further with my bored ramblings.

The world's most famous orangutan has died at the age of 48 in Singapore.

Amen to Ah Meng.

Her fame was such that visiting dignitaries queued to meet her, among them Prince Philip, the actresses Elizabeth Taylor and Bo Derek, and Bjorn Borg.

The world's most famous orangutan has died at the age of 48 in Singapore. Amen to Ah Meng.
Her fame was such that visiting dignitaries queued to meet her, among them ... Bo Derek ...

I'd willingly trade several hundred thousand generations of evolutionary advancement if it meant I could meet Bo Derek.

Leonardo da Vinci, the well known pet rabbit of Latvian President Valdis Zatlers, has died. :huh:

:unsure: Wow... you really take this deathpool thing seriously don't you, DDT?

Very seriously indeed, Starcrossed. Death is no laughing matter. And this was no ordinary rabbit.

Guest Guest
Leonardo da Vinci, the well known pet rabbit of Latvian President Valdis Zatlers, has died. :huh:

:unsure: Wow... you really take this deathpool thing seriously don't you, DDT?

Very seriously indeed, Starcrossed. Death is no laughing matter. And this was no ordinary rabbit.

Leo in action, the other day... (RIP)

200px-Rabbitattack.jpg