Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Sabine Oberhauser, Austrian Health Minister (2014-2017), has died following a battle with cancer. 

Her battle was quite the up and down. I followed it quite a while. She looked to be on the upswing some time ago - sad.

Unkind folk might say he was as good a Home Secretary as he was a defence lawyer...

• Like 2

Sir Gerald Kaufman, MP for Manchester Gorton and Father of The House, has died aged 86. BBC obituary here. Presumably it shall be Ken Clarke to assume the role as new Father of The House. 

• Like 1

Lawdy, late night for that sort of thing. I think he's my first hit in the By-Election Bingo!

• Like 1

Might be premature , but what's the size of his majority. Just asking for a bloke called Jeremy u understand...

Just now, CoffinLodger said:

Might be premature , but what's the size of his majority. Just asking for a bloke called Jeremy u understand...

In the 2015 General Election for Manchester Gorton, Labour received 28,187 (67.1%). The closest party to them were the Greens with 4,108 (9.8%). This gives them a majority of 24,000. Simply put, Labour could stand a donkey with a red rosette and win - Jeremy can rest easy on this one.

• Like 1

It's the 7th safest Labour seat in the entire country. It'd require a 30% swing to lose.

Not even Jeremy's Labour party can achieve that.

Liverpool Walton is likely to go to a by-election this year too (not due to death) - its the safest seat, and requires a 37% swing to change hands.

3 minutes ago, msc said:

It's the 7th safest Labour seat in the entire country. It'd require a 30% swing to lose.

Well if he does the latest leadership challenge is bound to start surely !

If he does, existentialist panic breaks out in the PLP, to make the last two years look like a quiet picnic in comparison.

6 minutes ago, msc said:

They won`t lose but as I have said before his party has serious internal issues so it could look bad nationally.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gorton-labour-party-police-bullying-11603957?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+menews%2Fnews+(News+-+Manchester+Evening+News+-+RSS+Feed)

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Fucking hell dude, at least wait until after the funeral.

5 hours ago, msc said:

I think you underestimate the lack of competence in the party. Wouldn't surprise me if they also lose this one. In which case you'll see Corbyn's resignation within hours.

47 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Fucking hell dude, at least wait until after the funeral.

I think you underestimate the lack of competence in the party. Wouldn't surprise me if they also lose this one. In which case you'll see Corbyn's resignation within hours.

There'll be much wrangling in Gorton over the candidate.

There is a documentary about the Lords on BBC 2 if anyone is looking for some low-hanging fruit.

Christ looks like a mortuary already.

Carrington was just on.Looks good but walks with a stick.Lord Tyler just described it as "the best day care centre for the elderly".

4 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Carrington was just on.Looks good but walks with a stick.Lord Tyler just described it as "the best day care centre for the elderly".

Did you see the BBC4 interview with Carrington the other year? Near the end, the interviewer asks him what he'd like to be doing in 5 years. Carrington did a notable double take, and says "In FIVE years? Breathing would be nice!"

• Like 3

Just now, msc said:

Did you see the BBC4 interview with Carrington the other year? Near the end, the interviewer asks him what he'd like to be doing in 5 years. Carrington did a notable double take, and says "In FIVE years? Breathing would be nice!"

I did!Haha he still has a razor sharp mind.

I am as right wing and traditional as they come but the lack of democratic accountability in the Lords really boils my piss!It is anathema to me!