Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

This year is the 100th anniversary of Caerphilly constituency being founded. In that time, it has voted for Labour in every single election, and so has been held by a Labour MP... for 98 of those 100 years.

In 1981, the current MP, Ednyfed Hudson Davies, decided to cross the floor to the SDP. He subsequently lost his seat in 1983, after jumping to Basingstoke. Had he remained Labour, he'd have had a safe seat his entire life.

Anyhow, he's apparently dead aged 88. (There are links, but they're in Welsh...)

9 minutes ago, msc said:

This year is the 100th anniversary of Caerphilly constituency being founded. In that time, it has voted for Labour in every single election

Simple things please simple people.

John V. Tunney, whose successful campaign for a California seat in the U.S. Senate became the basis for the 1972 Robert Redford film "The Candidate," has died.. He was 83.  Tunney died of prostate cancer on Friday.
SC

Baroness Nicol has die.... ah, ninja'd.

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Baroness Olive Nicol dead at 94. She was a scavenger hunt pick.

Had her there solely because of her mention on the OoO farewell list.

• Like 1

Former Washington Gov. John Spellamn, the state's last Republican governor, has died at the age of 91, according to an announcement from Gov. Jay Inslee's office.  The pipe-smoking, cordial Spellman was in the tradition of moderate Republicans who governed Washington over the two decade period between 1964 and 1984.

SC

(Edit: posting from iPhone 7, this formatting issue is yours not mine, simple cut n paste.  Annoying).

On 09/22/2017 at 16:56, drol said:

Some more:

Abdelmalek Benhabyles (1921)

Lee Teng-hui (1923)

Yasuhiro Nakasone (1918)

Tomichi Murayama (1924)

Khamtai Siphandon (1924)

Mahatir Mohamed (1925)

Abderrahmane Youssoufi (1924)

Abdelsalam al-Majali (1925)

Ali Hassan Mwinyi (1925)

Antoine Gizenga (1925)

Tran Thien Kiem (1925)

Kim Jong-pil (1926)

Yang Hyong-sop (1925)

Kim Yong-nam (1928)

Ri Kun-mo (1926)

Abdoulaye Wade (1926)

Khieu Sampan (1931)

Abdur Rahman Biswas (1926)

Kirti Nidhi Bista (1927)

Albert Zafy (1927)

Hamed Karoui (1927)

Sisavat Keobounphahn (1928)

Balak Sher Mazari (1928)

Belaid Abdessalam (1928)

Chung Won-shik (1928)

Sam Nujoma (1929)

Mengistu (1937)

Gombojavyn Ochirbat (1929)

Mohammad Hasan Sharq (1925)

Lucas Mangope (1923)

Ali Haroun (1927)

Marcelino Dos Santos (1929)

Mir Hazar Khan Khoso (1929)

Muhammad Rafiq Tarar (1929)

Selim Hoss (1929)

Mangope , deid.

Former Labour MP for Accrington and Junior Minister under Wilson and Callaghan, Arthur Davidson, has died aged 89, injuries resulting from a fall. https://www.express.co.uk/news/obituaries/906667/Arthur-Davidson-dead-obituary-politician-lawyer-Fleet-Street

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Davidson_(politician)

His Wiki page states that he liked jazz. @Barry B Benson

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Labour MP for Accrington and Junior Minister under Wilson and Callaghan, Arthur Davidson, has died aged 89, injuries resulting from a fall. https://www.express.co.uk/news/obituaries/906667/Arthur-Davidson-dead-obituary-politician-lawyer-Fleet-Street

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Davidson_(politician)

His Wiki page states that he liked jazz. @Barry B Benson

Well he’s instantly became my favourite politician 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Michael Dukakis did an interview with Fox News' Neil Cavuto today.

Looked excellent for a man turning 85 this year. If I didn't know who he was, I would probably say he was in his 60's.

Still mentally sharp and stayed on pace with Cavuto during the interview, wouldn't be surprised if he hit 100.

• Like 1

Ed LaForge, a former state representative and Kalamazoo city commissioner - and champion of liberal causes - died Friday, Jan. 19, at his Lawton home.  He was 82. He suffered from heart disease.

SC

14 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Michael Dukakis did an interview with Fox News' Neil Cavuto today.

Looked excellent for a man turning 85 this year. If I didn't know who he was, I would probably say he was in his 60's.

Still mentally sharp and stayed on pace with Cavuto during the interview, wouldn't be surprised if he hit 100.

Of those two, Neil Cavuto is the name you'll want to mark and remember.
SC

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Of those two, Neil Cavuto is the name you'll want to mark and remember.
SC

Precisely.

Didn't Cavuto have a major heart surgery a few months ago? I wouldn't be surprised if he croaks before Dukakis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Precisely.

Didn't Cavuto have a major heart surgery a few months ago? I wouldn't be surprised if he croaks before Dukakis.

More like 18 months ago but it was touch n go on the slab.

SC

Ii there any proof that ex Salvador president Arturo Armando Molina is still alive?

On 1/17/2018 at 01:02, Sir Creep said:

Former Washington Gov. John Spellman, the state's last Republican governor, has died at the age of 91, according to an announcement from Gov. Jay Inslee's office.  The pipe-smoking, cordial Spellman was in the tradition of moderate Republicans who governed Washington over the two decade period between 1964 and 1984.

SC

(Edit: posting from iPhone 7, this formatting issue is yours not mine, simple cut n paste.  Annoying).

Former Washington State Governor John D. Spellman and his wife, former Washington State First Lady Lois Spellman have died within days of one another

John Spellman died Jan. 16 at 91 years old.   Lois died Thursday. She was also 91.   The two were married for 63 years. 
SC

On 24/1/2018 at 02:42, Tower1 said:

Ii there any proof that ex Salvador president Arturo Armando Molina is still alive?

The last dates back to 2008 as you surely know. No, I gues you'll have ro remove him in February ;)

Prem Tinsulanonda will miss Armed Force Day celebrations due to feeling very weak and almost not eating for a week. Though there is speculation he is breaking up with the Prime Minister  (backed by Armed Forces) government firmly denied this and said Prem is now in poor health.

• Like 1

There have never been so many 97+ year old former heads of state alive. One of them will probably die soon.