Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

17 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Moses Ali, First Deputy Prime Minister of Uganda, is almost 80 and morbidly obese. One to keep an eye on. He was brought to my attention by this spectacular video from 2 days ago.

So a ball kicked the ball..

10 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Former Father of the Commons Sir Peter Tapsell is dead at 88 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45234741

edit- just noticed it was posted earlier. My sincere apologies. :blush:

This means there are no Former Fathers of the House left alive. Only the current incumbent Kenneth Clarke.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This means there are no Former Fathers of the House left alive. Only the current incumbent Kenneth Clarke.

Ken's said he won't stand at the next election. If Dennis Skinner does and is elected, the Beast of Bolsover will become Father of the House; a position he has said he will not accept.  :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Ken's said he won't stand at the next election. If Dennis Skinner does and is elected, the Beast of Bolsover will become Father of the House; a position he has said he will not accept.  :o

Think Skinner would retire or die before accepting that role tbh.  (Even if its a quirk of nature rather than an elected post!)

Looking at the list, Clark will retire. Skinner likely to retire imo (as 90 in 2022 and not in great health seemingly), Robinson wanted to go last time, rumblings about Bottomley going, and Barry Sheerman is getting on. Next Father of the House could be Frank Field or.... fecking hell, Harriet Harman.

• Like 1

Meh, I reckon Skinner will die an MP, maybe even before the next election (certainly if, by very slim chance, May isn't sent crashing into another GE before it's officially due). Assuming he does get re-elected at the next GE where Clarke will retire, I feel he'd only be rejecting the Father of the House accolade to be difficult.

• Like 1

Yip , agree.

Skinner is one of those life long politicos that life long means 'life'.

He'll die on the gravy train for sure.

The health of president of Lebanon, Michel Aoun, is declining. 

https://gulfnews.com/news/mena/lebanon/aoun-s-deteriorating-health-sparks-succession-rumours-in-lebanon-1.2265356

He suffered a stroke in 2013, tripped in 2017, recently confused some words, "only works around two hours a day", and "has suffered from various illnesses since his youth days".

You know who faked it from the start? Kulsoom Nawaz. Well, I can be wrong somethimes.

On 23/06/2018 at 12:44, alt obits guy said:

Katie Arrington, who recently won the South Carolina GOP nomination, defeating anti-Trump candidate Rep. Mark Sanford, has been seriously injured in a car accident.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/23/politics/south-carolina-candidate-katie-arrington-car-accident/index.html

Mother dies

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/katie-arrington-s-mother-lucille-stolark-has-died/article_a9caabb0-a4b9-11e8-a966-0f43b45d8bab.html

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:34, Bibliogryphon said:

It also means about half of the Maastricht rebels are dead I think .

Charles Lancaster Jr., a former longtime state legislator from Metairie (LA) who colleagues said was feisty and fervently Republican but never mean-spirited during 32 years in the state House, died early Friday of a heart attack. He was 74.  Lancaster played a pivotal role in helping to build the modern Republican Party in Jefferson Parish and indeed throughout Louisiana. Still, he developed close relationships with Democrats, even as he fought them on the House floor over policy differences.  Lancaster was the first Republican elected to represent Jefferson Parish in the Legislature since Reconstruction. By the time term limits forced him from office in 2008, the suburb was solidifying its role as the biggest Republican parish in the state.
SC

image.png

Islamabad London mayor Sadiq Khan reports the death of Labour MP Tom Cox, aged 88.

3 hours ago, drol said:

Islamabad London mayor Sadiq Khan reports the death of Labour MP Tom Cox, aged 88.

Was he stabbed?

Alex - Fozzy Bear - Salmond

Could be Scotland's answer to Harvey Wankstain or the victim of unsubstantiated rumours which the Scottish Police are now duty bound to investigate. Married since 1981 and not 64 until New Year's Eve so this side of a flash mob of #metoo maidens in tartan I'd say he's unlikely to die of shame or self-infliction.

Anyone out there got more inside track and some skill in cryptic posting?

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45294504

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Alex - Fozzy Bear - Salmond

Could be Scotland's answer to Harvey Wankstain or the victim of unsubstantiated rumours which the Scottish Police are now duty bound to investigate. Married since 1981 and not 64 until New Year's Eve so this side of a flash mob of #metoo maidens in tartan I'd say he's unlikely to die of shame or self-infliction.

Anyone out there got more inside track and some skill in cryptic posting?

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45294504

Let's wait until his accusers give their statements. A girl I went to school with says he tried to touch her, but she's a bit of a gobshite and she supports Morton, so I don't trust her.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2017 at 01:04, YoungWillz said:

Vince Cable, 75 (9 May 1943) Liberal Democrat (Twickenham 1997-2015; since 2017)

Heavy rumours going round political circles that Vinnie is on the verge of announcing his resignation as Lib Dem leader after barely a year from job he spent 20 year conspiring to get. Watch this space, I guess, both for if it happens, and any health reasons for that.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Heavy rumours going round political circles that Vinnie is on the verge of announcing his resignation as Lib Dem leader after barely a year from job he spent 20 year conspiring to get. Watch this space, I guess, both for if it happens, and any health reasons for that.

Any sources or blogs about the rumours.

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Any sources or blogs about the rumours.

Mostly chatter, but here's Business Insider mentioning the rumours.

• Like 1

Thanks.Seems plausible.

The Sunday Times has more information on Vince Cable - bold sections are the new details. The speech on the 7th September will outline party reforms, including reforms to the way they elect leaders. Cable would like it to be possible for a non-MP to become leader of the Lib Dems, in a similar way to the Green Party. He plans to fight any snap election in 2019, but otherwise he is aiming to be gone by Spring. He will definitely be gone by the time of the next scheduled election in 2022. 

As a side note, I don't think he has any health issues. I think he's preparing to resign because Lib Dems are repeatedly stagnant in local by-elections which they should be trouncing. As well as obviously not bothering to turn up to vote on key Brexit legislation when the whole Lib Dem shtick is to oppose a hard Brexit at every opportunity, which really pissed off his grassroots and staffers. 

18 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Cable would like it to be possible for a non-MP to become leader of the Lib Dems, in a similar way to the Green Party. 

Ah right, they want Cleggy.

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Ah right, they want Cleggy.

Jenny Tonge so they can compete with Labour in terms of antisemitism. 

I wonder who will take over.Swansoi or Davey I reckon.I would rule out Brake Lamb Moran or Hobhouse though.Electorally I reckon Lamb would be most popular with voters.He may not want to take it on after his recent stroke though.

10 hours ago, Sean said:

I wonder who will take over.Swansoi or Davey I reckon.I would rule out Brake Lamb Moran or Hobhouse though.Electorally I reckon Lamb would be most popular with voters.He may not want to take it on after his recent stroke though.

You rule out the comma also.

,=COMMA.

• Haha 1