Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Seventy eight percent of British MPs are millionaires. Which makes twenty two percent who can't fill their expense claims in properly.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Ah, finally a political tip of mine that worked!

14 minutes ago, Deathtreat23 said:

It has been confrimed that former Liberal Democrat Leader Paddy Ashdown has died aged 77.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46662546

I literally just reviewed the write up on him 30 minutes ago and passed.  
Meaning I am no good at this DP game.

Real shocker .Doesn't he have his own thread though ?

Ashdown.

Always thought his name kept his options open. Cremation or a grave.

• Like 2

On 2 November 2018 at 16:06, CoffinLodger said:

It doesn't look good.Sounds like one of the worst forms of cancer. I hate to have to say it, but his inclusion in next years list might not be in vain … :(

On 2 November 2018 at 16:21, Grim Up North said:

What makes you draw that conclusion?

No mention of the Stage.

All Bladder Cancer had a 50% 10 year survival rate in 2011 (incidentally making it about average for Cancers).

I can see the word 'serious' in some of the headlines but have yet to see it in a quote from him yet. 

Looks like it was quite serious after all.....

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:06, CoffinLodger said:

It doesn't look good.Sounds like one of the worst forms of cancer. I hate to have to say it, but his inclusion in next years list might not be in vain … :(

It was even worse than I thought !  

Since Thatcher has died we have lost three Liberal leaders and none from Labour or Conservatives.

Sir Menzies Campbell next?

Surely it has got to be a big name Conservative to go next with plenty of low hanging fruit including the likes of Norman Tebbit, Nigel Lawson, Michael Heseltine, Douglas Hurd and Kenneth Baker. On your bike Norman as you told everyone else!!! 

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Surely it has got to be a big name Conservative to go next with plenty of low hanging fruit including the likes of Norman Tebbit, Nigel Lawson, Michael Heseltine, Douglas Hurd and Kenneth Baker. On your bike Norman as you told everyone else!!! 

Of those Hurd seems to be the likeliest Lawson, Tebbit and Hessletine (especially) are still active.

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Agree. Bout time these vegetables were all grounded!:D

10 minutes ago, redrumours said:

Agree. Bout time these vegetables were all grounded!:D

Or indeed roasted.:lol:

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Since Thatcher has died we have lost three Liberal leaders and none from Labour or Conservatives.

Also gone are Gordon Wilson of the SNP and Ian Paisley of the DUP.

Campbell's older than Cable, but not by much.

I'd say Gordon Brown looks like a heart attack waiting to happen....

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Also gone are Gordon Wilson of the SNP and Ian Paisley of the DUP.

Campbell's older than Cable, but not by much.

I'd say Gordon Brown looks like a heart attack waiting to happen....

Pa Broon will outlive Blair imo.

Would Kinnock suddenly shuffling off surprise anyone? Or indeed the "now veggie for health reasons like Clinton" Salmond?

Who's going to see off more younger successors - David Steel or Bobby Brown?

1 minute ago, msc said:

Pa Broon will outlive Blair imo.

Would Kinnock suddenly shuffling off surprise anyone? Or indeed the "now veggie for health reasons like Clinton" Salmond?

Who's going to see off more younger successors - David Steel or Bobby Brown?

Don't forget Bob Maclennan, who is getting up there in years...

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Labour and the Conservatives leaders aren't really in the nailed on to go bracket.

Evaluating the leaders who were alive when Thatcher died for the three main parties, it becomes clear the Lib Dems are the place to look for DDP picks.

Labour 

Jeremy Corbyn is 69 years of old and lives healthily so probably won't go anywhere soon.

Ed Miliband is 48 and really doesn't have anything that makes him seem likely to go anywhere

Gordon Brown is 67 [and seems unlikely to go anywhere soon, although strangely more likely to go than Corbyn, maybe the Scottish upbringing] and certainly seems to be looking increasingly unhealthy in recent photos, thanks to @charon for highlight this.

Tony Blair is 65 and seems unlikely to be in the running for deadpool teams for a good twenty years.

Neil Kinnock is only 76 and doesn't seem all that likely to go anywhere soon, enjoying his retirement in the house of lords.

All the old guard went before Thatcher. I don't think any Labour lead will die in the next decade or so.

Conservative

Theresa May is 62 and doesn't seem likely to go soon. She's after all able to fight every attempt at killing her political career, so piddly things like real life won't be too difficult. Not to mention the last time a PM died in office was 1865....

David Cameron is 52 - 10 years the Junior of our current PM it seems unthinkable anything will happen to the man who ruined Britain's future. 

Michael Howard is 77 - the same age as Paddy Ashdown, but doesn't seem to have had any major medical issues - publicly at least. Although he does a lot of charity work for hospice, so he is at least preparing for the end by getting good favour.

Iain Duncan Smith is 64 and would most likely still be working in government if it wasn't for the fact he had been disposed off by Cameron and chose to save face by claiming he was against the cuts to benefits, despite cutting them for years previously.

William Hague is 57 and of course one of Thatcher's babies done good, so it's no suprise he's not going anywhere soon.

John Major is 75 - a sprightly couple of years younger than Ashdown, but I think most of us were at least slightly surprised Ashdown went this young even with his health issues, Major has no public health concerns.

If we look at the ages at which the last 10 recent leaders of the Conservatives and Labour party who have died, died at.

Labour averages -76.2*  whilst the Conservatives average 88

*although if you take out the shock deaths of John Smith and Hugh Gaitskell, which some believe to be covert assassinations (stoke the hornets nest a bit more, why not I've already done so enough above), that rises to 86

By my reckoning it could be a decade before we see another Labour or Conservative leader die, and maybe 15-20 years until we see another PM die.  Barring shocks.

Meanwhile in the Liberal / Liberal Democrat fun house....

Liberal / SDP

Vince Cable is 75 but hasn't faced any major health issues. On this findings though he should start worrying. Maybe the coalition with assimilate a bit of Tory longevity into him.

Tim Farron is 49 so the youngest on this list. He might have killed his career at the last election, but he'll be around for a long while; unless some LGBT rights terrorist group springs up; but we're too nice for that.

Nick Clegg is a mere 51, and has shown no signs of any illnesses. So is utterly unworthy of consideration DDP wise.. 

Menzies Campbell is 77 - the same age as Ashdown but he did have an athletics career before politics so should live a bit longer than most lib dem leaders

Charles Kennedy was 56 when he died; speaking of which on the opposite end of the health spectrum was a raging alcoholic which offed him in the end

Paddy Ashdown was 77 - an unfortunate diagnosis of bladder cancer put pains to his hopes of living much longer than his colleagues.

Bob Maclennan is 82 - which going by the stats so far is a pretty fine age for a Lib Dem man to make it.

David Steel is 80 - which probably makes it an arms race between him and Steel to be the next leader of a major party to die, given the above stats.

Jeremy Thorpe was 85 when he died, which provides and opportunity further speculation on the above two names, whilst he lived a scandalous life it didn't hamper his longevity too much.

So to start with there was 9 Liberal Leaders (I deliberately haven't counted SDP leader David Owen, 80, who has a claim to be added that list) compared to 5 Labour leaders and 6 Conservative leaders at time of Thatcher's deaths - no where even to 6 Liberal leaders, which makes it more likely the next death will be another party's leader. But let's run that like expectancy test for the lib dems come out at 75.2 - lower than both Labour and Conservatives.

If we do alcoholic Charles Kennedy an utterly undeserved favour of describing his death as a shock in line with John Smith or Gaitskell then the average rises to 82 which is a staggering 4 years younger than the same generous figure above.

The next death of a three parties leader seems likely to be another Liberal Democrat, all things considered. And there really doesn't seem much merit in a three parties leaders DDP theme team for a good ten years or so with an awful lot of 50s and 60s year olds hanging about.

If you read this entire post, you're clearly as bored as  me.

• Like 2

"Whit?" re Brown????

Surely you've seen the photo on here from October was it?

Pretty certain that nails him for DL pick for 19.

*** and Paddy is deid, not dying, so that's a c+p job from a while back.

1 hour ago, charon said:

"Whit?" re Brown????

Surely you've seen the photo on here from October was it?

Pretty certain that nails him for DL pick for 19.

*** and Paddy is deid, not dying, so that's a c+p job from a while back.

My initial reaction to your comment was he's aging, but having done a bit more digging. I might be adding him to my own list at this rate, genuinely missed that one...

Brown in 2010:

Gordon Brown outside No 10 in May 2010

Brown in 2017:

p054j915.jpg

Brown in 2018:

Delegates Attend The 2018 Jewish Labour Movement Conference

He certainly doesn't look healthy.

I think DL would be unwise to pick him. 

Deathers, I think msc posted this...

DpK1yxwXoAAsk31.jpg

Hes fucked.

• Like 1